Euros

You can get them at many banks and as to how many you get depends on how much you plan to spend. You will need Euros for transportation, food, souvenirs, tips, etc. among other things. Only you know your itinerary and you need to figure out what you will need to pay for.

You can get them at many banks and as to how many you get depends on how much you plan to spend. You will need Euros for transportation, food, souvenirs, tips, etc. among other things. Only you know your itinerary and you need to figure out what you will need to pay for.

So there's no limit to what you can get at the bank? For an 18 day vacation, that would be a LOT of Euros, I think. Guess I have to keep them in the safe. Thanks.:)

Cleo, As far as I know, as long as you have the US dollars to pay for them, you can buy as many as you need. I just got some a couple of weeks ago and to buy one Euro cost approx. $1.45. The bank will also charge you a fee to provide this service...around $15-$25. The exchange rate changes day to day, but what is stated above has been the going rate for awhile now give or take a few pennies.

So there's no limit to what you can get at the bank? For an 18 day vacation, that would be a LOT of Euros, I think. Guess I have to keep them in the safe. Thanks.:)

We took a trip to Ireland in September. Before we left we went to out local AAA Auto club and "bought" two "convenience" pack ($100 each) and they had about 68 euros each. We knew it was not a great exchange rate, but it was convenient. We also took about $500 in cash and used that to buy euros on our trip. The hotels we stayed at exchanged dollars for us as did the banks in the cities we were in.

After reading these boards, in preparation for our forthcoming cruise, we opened a checking account at our local Bank of America and picked up debit cards for that account. BOA apparently has an agreement with Barclay's Bank and they have ATM's all over Europe that will spit out euros, much the same as we could do in the US. As we will be using local drivers at the various ports who like "cash" we will put a couple of thousand into that checking account before we go. At the end of the trip we will either draw out what ever is left and close that account or leave a minimum balance in it for our next trip.

Most of what we will spend, we will spend using a credit card. Here again these boards have provided some great information and we jut opened a credit card account with Capital One, because they do not charge a surcharge for the euro to dollar conversion on your purchases.

After reading these boards, in preparation for our forthcoming cruise, we opened a checking account at our local Bank of America and picked up debit cards for that account. BOA apparently has an agreement with Barclay's Bank and they have ATM's all over Europe that will spit out euros, much the same as we could do in the US. As we will be using local drivers at the various ports who like "cash" we will put a couple of thousand into that checking account before we go. At the end of the trip we will either draw out what ever is left and close that account or leave a minimum balance in it for our next trip.

Thanks Slomo! That's exactly the info I needed. I have a BOA checking account with a debit card now. Have to now check to see if Barclay's has ATMs in Italy. Also wondered about those "covenience paks" Years ago, I used to get "tip paks" at the bank for each country (before Euros!).

You will get as many answers to this as people who post.

Your best bet is to wait till you get over there and to use an ATM card to get Euros. Be sure to contact your bank before you go (do likewise with credit card companies) so they know your travel dates and when you are going so they don't think this is fraud associated with your account(s).

Keith

I just checked on BOA website and they don't have any "partners" in Italy in order for me to use the ATM.:mad: So I guess I'll buy what I need before the trip for the necessary cash when I first arrive (taxi, tips, etc.)

Well I use a "local" bank (meaning they are just in the state of Texas) and I was told by them to use my debit card at a "bank" ATM while in Europe to get my euros.

some atms are privately owned ?? but if I use my ATM card they said I would get the best conversion rate..... as well as they would not charge me a fee..... only the bank who owned the ATM would charge a small "use" fee like the do here - but no conversion fee.

Also.... big point. Found out Royal Caribbean will have euros on board and will exchange your US $ for euros. Not sure what the conversion fee is but I don't think there is a service charge.

Also - walk into any bank in Europe.....give em US cash and they will give you euros too.

texancruzer: I was always under the impression that if you use an ATM that is not your bank that BOTH bank will charge you a fee for each transaction. Have you tried this? I figured RCI will do it onboard, but really was trying to avoid any conversion fees. I guess I'll just go into any bank and hope they speak English;)

Cleo: do not confuse "conversion fee" with "use fee".

The "use fee" is to use the ATM - period. Most ATM's in the U.S. will charge a use fee if it is not their bank card making the withdrawal. And your bank could charge you a use fee too if you use another banks ATM.

The "conversion fee" is a charge to convert euros into dollars when the charge gets back to YOUR bank.

So some banks will charge you a use fee to use another banks atm AND a conversion fee to convert the euros withdrawal to US $.

Other banks will not charge either or just one.

CALL YOUR BANK AND ASK THEM WHAT CHARGES THEY WILL CHARGE YOU TO USE YOUR DEBIT CARD IN EUROPE AT AN ATM TO GET EUROS.

ps : The pursers desk will convert your $$ to euros.

CleoPat -- On our cruise in September we took on the minimum we thought we needed. I was able to exchange at my local bank and get 150 Euros for any food or transportation that would be immediate upon arriving. After that we found ATM's to be plentiful and never a problem to use. I took my debit/Visa card and used it EVERYWHERE! Most all shops and resturants accepted Visa/Mastercard but remember you do need Euros for bus/taxis/trains, snacks or street vendors (although some street vendors accepted cards!) We got Euros in Venice, Sicily, Rome, Naples and Livorno and there were ATM's at all of our other ports. It was much cheaper conversion rates and very small fees compared to the loss you will have at exchange stations here in the US or there. Of all the money I got from ATM's my largest conversion fee was $4 USD and my bank fees were only 3% of amount withdrawn. Hope this helps and eases concern with Euros. I would highly recommend waiting though...especially with the ever-inflating exchange rate of the Euro. Have a wonderful trip!!! :)

Lots of really great info.

This is from Barclay web site.

http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?site=pfs&task=popup1group&value=4534&target=_self

and this is part of that page.

Overseas cash machines Get hold of your cash abroad

You can access your cash using your Barclays Connect or VISA Electron card free of transaction charges* from a cash machine in the Global Alliance. If you use a cash machine that isn't in the Global Alliance or if you use your Barclaycard, additional charges apply.

Both Barclays and The Woolwich are members of the Global Alliance.

Find a Global Alliance partner cash machine:

Australia Westpac Canada Scotia Bank France BNP Paribas** Germany Deutsche Bank New Zealand Westpac United States Bank of America

Find another cash machine:

Worldwide VISA network

================================

I found that Barclays and BOA are part of the GLOBAL ALLIANCE as is Deutsch Bank and they are all over the place.

So as long as I find a Global Alliance ATM I should be in good shape.

There are other links on the page as well and as the last poster said the Visa debit card is accepted in ATM all over the place which is why I picked th BOA debit Visa card.

I think it's great that others have provided all this input.

a

My question is I have a 6 digit pin code from our BOA account.. and people have said I need a 4 digit code for the ATMs in Europe.. can the bank just assign us a four digit number?? We have always had to have a 6 digit number.. I am kind of nervous I'll get over there and not be able to withdraw any money!! thanks jean

First of all, it is not a bad idea to have two different debit cards. Talk to your bank(s). We used two local New York banks and both offered a certain number of fee free ATM withdrawals per month. One of my cards is a Mastercard with a "cirrus" logo and the other is a Visa with "Plus" & "NYCE" logos. The overseas banks all charged a very small fee per transaction and their conversion rates were excellent. When possible, try to make your transactions outside a bank during their hours of operation in case you should have a problem. Always keep your receipts. Our cards all have four digit codes. Why take the risk of carrying lots of cash. We used ATM's in Istanbul, Dubrovnik, Nice, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Santorini and Florence.....never a problem. Better to be safe.....euros, kunas, Turkish lira....all worked fine. Marty

Slomo: When I went on BOA's website I saw the banks listed in the Global Alliance. None in Italy. However, since my BOA card is backed by Visa, this means I can used it anywhere?! I guess I'll just have to suck up the fees because I really don't want to get loads of Euros to carry around. I'll use the cc as much as I can and just get around $200 carrying around cash. Thanks all for your input. I also saw on the BOA website that you can get travellers checkes in Euros. Has anyone done that? There are a few tours I'm taking that will only take Euros and I was thinking that the travellers checks in Euros might be the answer to that problem. Any experience with Euro TC's?

Slomo: When I went on BOA's website I saw the banks listed in the Global Alliance. None in Italy. However, since my BOA card is backed by Visa, this means I can used it anywhere?! I guess I'll just have to suck up the fees because I really don't want to get loads of Euros to carry around. I'll use the cc as much as I can and just get around $200 carrying around cash. Thanks all for your input. I also saw on the BOA website that you can get travellers checkes in Euros. Has anyone done that? There are a few tours I'm taking that will only take Euros and I was thinking that the travellers checks in Euros might be the answer to that problem. Any experience with Euro TC's?

CleoPat

I went to Barclays site and as I wandered around I found the Global Alliance page and then there was a link for Deutschbank

look here

http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?site=pfs&task=popup1group&value=4534&target=_self

then click on the visa link to get here

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/jsp/SearchPage.jsp

I then selected Italy and then Liovorno (one of my ports of call)

and found this

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/ResultsDisplayAction.do?uid=X173439-1195431249-ac120764

We are hiring drivers in 5 ports, all of whom want cash (euros) and our share of each will be about $250 euros. Once I board and get to my state room I put my cash into the safe and take out only what I will need each day.

One thing I know nothing about, but I know someone will post a reply, is the amount (euros) I can get from the purser or customer service desk.

a

Slomo: Thanks again! I had gotten to that same page, by clicking on the Visa link in your previouus message. That's how I found out that there were tons of banks in Italy that will accept the Visa card at their ATMs. But those banks are not really part of the Global Allilance of banks, so you would have to pay usage fees I would think. That's what I meant with sucking it up to paying the fees, but at least I know I can use the card at ATMs. Livorno is one of your ports? Mine too. What cruise are you going on? I, too, would like to know what the limit is at the Purser's Desk for exchanging.

If no one answers the pursers desk question soon - I will post when I get back. We plan to get euros on board for U.S. $

We leave Tues for Rome and board the ship on Fri 11/23 - returning to the States Dec. 3rd.

Ciao (just practicing :D )

Grazie:D

I've analyzed my own expenses after travel in Europe and have found that using ATMs nets the best exchange rate, even with usage fees. Hotels and money changes give quite poor rates for the most part, and I haven't found banks to be much better. Traveler's checks are not really welcomed by most places in Europe, (whether in dollars or euros) so I don't recommend them unless you have a specific need, such as for your tour.

My suggestions: 1) get a credit card that has the minimum conversion fee and use it for all the purchases/travel-related expenses that you can. 2) use ATM machines for the cash you need for small basics and cash-only purchases. 3) take a small amount of euros with you so you don't have to hassle with getting them when you arrive, jet-lagged and burdened with luggage, at your destination.

We were on a cruise from November 2-12, 2007. I had a starter pack of Euros from AAA. It cost $100 for 64 Euros. We arrived in Barcelona on Friday and boarded our cruise on Friday. Saturday we arrived in Marseille and I took 300 euros that cost $400 something using my debit card. On Sunday I tried to get more euros but was not able to. On Monday I tried to get more euros but was not able to. If you take any money from a debit card on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, it all counts as a Monday withdrawal. I have a second debit card from a different bank--Bank of America which has a 7 digit pin code. Well, in Europe they only accept a 4 digit pin code. I also had a credit card on me and went to several banks to try and get a cash advance. The banks in Europe will not give you a cash advance. Next, I tried using a Discover Card with a four digit pin number. Discover Card is only usable in England, Ireland, and Scotland. What I finally did was go to the ATM on the cruise ship with my Discover Card and get a cash advance. I then took the US dollars from the credit card and went to one of these money exchange places to get Euros at a high rate of exchange. If you have an American Express Card, make sure you have a four digit Pin number.

Bring euros before you leave. Make sure that you have a credit card with a four digit pin number. Remember also that if you take any money from a debit card on Saturday, you will not be able to get money again until Tuesday.

When I was in Florence (Tuesday), I saw such beautiful leather handbags, but was so busy running around trying to get money, that I was not able to buy any of these handbags. I was afraid to use my debit cards to purchase anything because I needed the euros I could get on Tuesday to pay for my private shore excursion and my Discover Card is useless in most of Europe.

Also, make sure you call your banks and credit card companies or you may have trouble using plastic in Europe.

The most important thing to remember is take tissues and hand sanitizer. I am stressing this because the bathrooms in Europe are not like the bathrooms in the U.S. Some toilets do not have toilet seats, some do not flush, some did not have toilet tissue, and some do not have soap. Some also cost 20 to 60 cents.

Just bring the above suggested items and you will have a great time and not have to worry about anything!

First of all you can exchange money in any international airport terminal at both ends. You can get Euros at most banks in Europe and in the train stations.

My advice is to exchange Euros as you need them because you pay a fee if you want to cash them back into US dollars. Besides- it isn't wise to carry a big wad of cash around.

I start out with 100 Euros. That is enough for the taxi ride from the airport and for porters and bottled water from a kiosk or little shop. The rest of the time it is best to use your credit card and atm card when getting more money. Buy the way, you do need your photo id to get cash from banks and such. Also, call you credit card companies before you leave the US to let them know that you are going to be in Europe. They will ask you which countries- otherwise your card may be rejected. Mine was, I called from Venice and to let them know I was out of the country.

Archived