Malibu Beach Club

Wanderlust30

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Malibu (locally 'Brandons") Beach several years ago. It was very nice. Its a relatively short cab ride (5-10 minutes) from the pier. As I recollect the entry was about $15 which included a lounger and umbrella and a couple of drink tickets. It was a fairly priced, a good value.

The beach is excellent. The neighborhood is light industrial (distilleries). There is a view of harbor terminal so you'll probably have a beautiful strand with you ship in distance photo op if you go. You'll see the beach from your ship - to the north or left of the harbor a mile or two. It is less crowded than Boatyard.

Woodofpine...

thanks for the info on Malibu Beach. Is that on the west coast, too? Also, do you remember what the cab fare was, and last, was Boatyard really crowded? Commercial/touristy? That is a concern of mine.....don't know if you have been to Grand Turk, but theres a big, very commercial Margaritaville right at the cruise dock where it seemed EVERYONE from the cruise went, and that is not the kind of experience I want in Barbados, either....

Thanks!!!

Sandi

Woodofpine...

thanks for the info on Malibu Beach. Is that on the west coast, too? Also, do you remember what the cab fare was, and last, was Boatyard really crowded? Commercial/touristy? That is a concern of mine.....don't know if you have been to Grand Turk, but theres a big, very commercial Margaritaville right at the cruise dock where it seemed EVERYONE from the cruise went, and that is not the kind of experience I want in Barbados, either....

Thanks!!!

Sandi

Given your comments, you might prefer Brandon's-Malibue. Boatyard is called that due to a prominent beach club bar of that name that attracts A LOT of cruisers. The club charges an admission (I think it was $20) that included a drink and lounger. It's a Rockin' and Rollin' place with a lot of beach toys (water trampolines etc.) As a public beach, you can avoid the thickest crowd there by just putting your towel down a ways down the beach where a couple of modest restaurants front the sand and sell drinks and food a la carte. One advantage is that Boatyard is close to the center of downtown Bridgetown (Independence Square) and some of the significant buildings of the town center - a tourist look. The cab fare is about $5. The sand is very good quality - soft white, technically on the south coast but pretty much at the junction of the west coast.

Malibue is pretty close to the pier also - maybe a little further, opposite direction. Properly, it is on the west coast (south on the north edge of Bridgetown) the sand is good quality, golden granular like the rest of the west 'Gold Coast'. The beach is bigger and less crowded than Boatyard. There are a few hair braiders and whatnot. Certainly, not a big party scene, despite the fact its adjacent a distillery (more than one). The neighborhood is non-descript (non-touristy) light industrial (sort of amazing, historically, that the stills ended up on such a great stretch of beach, as nice as Sandy Lane's). The cab I recollect as $15, BUT I had a family of 6 stuffed in - and I'm sure the cabby charged accordingly, probably about $5pp. Barbados cabbies have a renegade reputation so get your fare agreed on up front. You could probably make a deal and arrange a later pick up from the same fellow that takes you from the pier.

If you choose Malibue, and you go in the AM, I believe your entry includes a tour of the distillery across the street which that were conducted at 1 PM M-F (we arrived shortly thereafter so didn't do that).

Alternatively, if you want a look at - and stroll - Sandy Lane Resort's beach and have an excellent day (albeit a bit more coin) consider this excursion I endorse wholeheartedly...

http://www.coolrunningsbarbados.com

Whatever you choose, Enjoy your cruise!

Alternatively, if you want a look at - and stroll - Sandy Lane Resort's beach and have an excellent day (albeit a bit more coin) consider this excursion I endorse wholeheartedly...

www.coolrunningsbarbados.com

Whatever you choose, Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for this info, this is what my family and I were looking for. Do you have any other ideas.

Laura

I just came back last week from Barbados. We did a tour and ended up in Malibu Beach, it was great. We rented a jetski and had a blast. I loved it, it has changing facilities, chairs for rent, the beach was great and only 15 minutes away from the ship.

We got there about 3 so they didnt charge for the chairs but I think the cost is $10 (not totally sure). I guess you can walk there if you are used to walking. If I remember correctly the cab ride was about 15 minutes, but I really wasnt paying attention.

Not recommended. This 'could' be done by someone with a locally tuned sense of direction and the desire to walk 1-3 miles each way.

Barbados pier is a fairly large mixed use facility. The pier is large enough that shuttle buses are used to transport cruisers from the outlying pier area to the terminal... and you haven't even 'left the pier' technically. The beach is visable from the ships and vice versa because it is a straight shot visually (like Liberty Island from Lower Manhatten) not because it is close, not close like Phillipsburge St. Maarten. If you take a cab from Havensight-St. Thomas to downtown Charlotte Amalie (as just about everyone does) then you'll cab to Malibu since its probably farther.

Once out of the shipping harbor in Barbados, the direction and walk to Malibue would be disorienting to a non-local.

Not recommended.

This 'could' be done by someone with a locally tuned sense of direction

and the desire to walk 1-3 miles each way.

Barbados pier is a fairly large mixed-use facility.

The pier is large enough that shuttle buses are used to transport cruisers from the outlying pier area to the terminal...

and you haven't even 'left the pier' technically.

The beach is visible from the ships and vice versa because it is a straight shot visually

(like Liberty Island from Lower Manhatten)

not because it is close

Once out of the shipping harbor in Barbados,

the direction and walk to Malibu would be disorienting to a non-local.

Thank you for your accurate assessment/description.

I live on the island

and you might have noticed that I always recommend a cab to Malibu

because it is -as you say- disorienting to a non-local!

Seems close but isn't really.

Easier to just get a cab to get there quickly

rather than getting lost walking around in the heat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took my family with young kids to Malibu and everyone enjoyed it. The Malibu Distillery has a 'beach club' entrance where most cabs drop you off. The distillery 'beach club' has a souvenir gift shop, a changing locker area with bathrooms, and a beach bar. The admission includes lounger and a couple of drink tickets. It's very laid back, soft drinks are available for kids. There's an eatery nearby. Weekdays, your ticket includes admission to a tour of the distillery across the street (at 1PM daily as I remember).

Cab fare is about $5pp (maybe a bit less for cab total $15?)

The total cost pp is reasonable and its a very nice beach.

If anyone is interested in the boatyard go to www.theboatyard.com tells you all about it, with pics and speciel offers, they also do the turtle catameran cheaper than the ships trip with a free shuttle bus back to the ship about every 15mis. have to get your own way there though, we walked its about 20 to 30 mins.

Has anyone been to Malibu Beach Club? I am interested in hearing your opinions. How much was the day pass? taxi? How was the Beach? Crowded?

TIA! ! !

I just went to Malibu (Brandon Beach) January 2008. There is a $2 admission to the beach which is for use of the facilities. If you want a chair and umbrella it costs and extra $5 .You can also pay more and take a tour of the factory.

You can see the ship from the beach. It is a long stretch of beach -quite pretty. Behind you is the factory-not very pretty so keep looking towards the water and you'll be fine.

There is an outdoor restaurant bar area as you enter that makes great drinks with the malibu rum and serves light fare (hamburgers/nachos)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Maibu Beach club through a Princess excursion a few weeks ago and overall it was fine but the one sour note is that the people pouring the drinks (2 in particular) were extremely rude to me and a woman in front of me using our "free" drink ticket. Its not a "free" drink in my mind since I paid for it in the price of the excursion. So be sure to ask which drinks the ticket is good for. There is a menu on the wall with a dozen or so Malibu cocktails and when the women in front of me asked for one of them, the bartender said it would be $5 and when the customer expressed confusion, since no one explained that there were 2 certain drinks the coupon was good for, the bartender proceeded to pour the drink out into the drain and said "not my problem" (that the customer didn't know the deal"). Really a buzz killer. When my DM went to claim her drink she was ignored while the bartenders waited on the other customers who weren't using tickets. I did inform Princess of this.

• 1 month later...

We ended up a Malibu Beach on the recommendation of our taxi driver, and enjoyed it very much. Very short taxi ride, and we were the first ones on the beach that day. By the time the ship excursions got there an hour later, it was pretty crowded but we had nice chairs and an umbrella. At least they have food, drinks, and clean restrooms. Don't try to walk there; not worth the savings. A short walk down the beach (away from the cruise ship) there''s a less crowded beach bar / restaurant.

We ended up a Malibu Beach on the recommendation of our taxi driver, and enjoyed it very much.

Very short taxi ride, and we were the first ones on the beach that day.

- they have food, drinks, and clean restrooms.

Don't try to walk there; not worth the savings.

A short walk down the beach, there's a less crowded beach bar / restaurant.

They're right about the short(inexpensive) taxi ride.

That less-crowded bar, at the other end of the beach almost

is Weiser's, where I think they do a Buffet Lunch thing on cruise-ship days.

Quiet little place for those who like that sort of day.

• 2 months later...
Aplmac, -can you please tell me what beach is the one where

"is that really the color of the water" it certainly looks BEAUTIFUL!

I'm pretty sure you mean the top-most picture(below?)

on my West Coast beaches webpage at..

http://www.*****.com/West_Coast-1.html

If that's the one...

it's like sooo many other West Coast beaches when dead calm,particularly around low tide

but this particular shot was taken at the other end of the bay where St.Albans Church sits

(just North of John Moore's Rum Shop in Weston).

The correct name of the bay is Reed's Bay or Reid's Bay -not sure of the spelling.

The guys on Harbour Master and TIAMI coastal cruisers refer to it as St.Alban's Bay

(because of the church's location at its Southern end)

so you might find it also referred to that way.

Incidentally, I was standing on the top/Sun-deck of Harbour Master

looking down on this scene, to take the picture!

I should mention that Harbour Master is a major photographic platform

if you're into taking pics.

Big and steady, you can get three decks hi, off the water for shots like this!

Try that from a Cat - you can't do it!

If this picture is not the one you mean

come back with another post indicating which pic

on which of my (named) webpages it is

and we'll get to the bottom of this clear turquoise mystery for you.

Catamaran_coastal_cruises.jpg.651f83736e3ed606e38a461b6a207343.jpg

Yes indeed that is the correct one......sorry I got so excited after I saw the picture I forgot to add it is in the West Coast beaches page.:o

Can you tell me how far this Reed's Bay is from the cruise pier? Are there chairs and umbrellas for rent?? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Archived