Windstar Costa Rica Shore Excursions

whatnot

Since Windstar is a small ship, how important is it to book shore excursions early? Also, on the Costa Rica cruise, are there opportunities to do things on your own? Some of the ports look like they are just at National Parks or beaches, so I am thinking that their excursions may be the only thing available unless you just want to go to the beach! Would love to hear others experiences!

Hello LuAnn!

We are Mary & Tony from Texas, and we'll be on board Windstar with you for the 1/26 sail.

I didn't intend to post here at CC for this cruise since we are celebrating an anniversary and plan to spend most of our time alone, but I too am wondering about the shore excursions. Certainly wish I had done some research earlier.

Yesterday I finally got around to looking at the shore excursions offered. My #1 "wanna do" is Corcovado, and they want $129 bucks just to plop us on the beach?? We would prefer to hike the trail alone if possible, but since we are a captive audience in a very remote area I guess they can charge what the market will bear....

It would be great if some one from a previous sail would give us a clue.

We look forward to meeting you and Guy (for a cocktail at least ;) )

Thanks Mary for your reply. Hope we get some responses, but they seem to be coming slow. We look forward to meeting you on Windstar. We are early 60's and traveling with another couple, that we travel with alot. We would love to have drinks with you and Tony. Have a great Thanksgiving!

we cruised costa rica last new year's. our port was actually drakes bay. the ship ran tenders all day back and forth to the beach. we hiked the trail on our own up to the place where locals take you up a river and this includes a stop for a swim in a waterfall. Make sure you have cash for this and extra for tips-the guys who take you are so nice. the footing climbing to the falls is a bit tricky. we spent the rest of the day lying on the gorgeous beach(actually spotted whales). there was absolutely no need for an organized excursion here. In Quepos take a taxi to Manuel Antonio and see the park on your own then when you leave the park walk off the main road where there are a few hotels with restaurants down the side street. Have a local style lunch with local beer. there are excursions for quepos but if you do them you will not have time to see manuel antonio(beach is lovely there by the way). The zip line tour at one of the ports was fun but it was a dry forest so not particularly scenic. it took forever as we had to wait until everyone took their turn including some pretty scared fellow zipliners.

Best rec. for nicauragua is do not take the excursion. it is just too much time on a bus. There is a beautiful surfing beach near san juan del sur. go in to one of the surf shops to find out the name of it or just have the cab take you there. my son rented a surf board and caught a ride with the owner of the shop. he had a great day there and there is a hotel with a restaurant right on the beach where you can eat lunch. there are restaurants in the port along the water but the beach is probably not where you will want to "hang out."the bus rides on some of these excursions take a long time also so you need to decide if you want to maximize your time seeing the local sites or play it safe, spend more $ and stay with "the group."

Curu can easily be done on your own. When the zodiacs take you over to tortuga, get on the first one over and bring $ to rent some chairs and umbrellas if you like shade. you will enjoy a great bbcue, swimming, etc. perhaps even get a boat ride from the ski boat. some folks went waterskiing or kayaking. our kids enjoyed the pig in the shop on the island so be sure to check that out. have fun. it is a wonderful cruise.

YogaGal, did the bus to Nicaragua have a head ? :confused: ? That could make or break the journey for us.

And i kinda like that "matzoz" -- might have to find a use for it.

The monster is my Denali Duke, who is the cutest, cuddliest, biggest ego in the canine world. (thinks he's a 150lb Rotti :rolleyes: the pip-squeak, all 25lbs of him is ATTIT :D DE !

I mostly agree with suggestions here, but I myself would not have wanted to miss the Nicaragua excursion, as it's probably the only time I'll ever visit Nicaragua or have the opportunity to learn in a personal way from a native Nicaraguan about his country's history and geography/geology. Our guide was well educated, very knowledgeable and personable, and spoke excellent English (several years of his education took place in the U.S. when he was sent to live with relatives during political upheavals in his own country). True it was a fairly long bus ride -- but worth it in my opinion. We saw and learned a lot, both culturally and geographically.

The only other excursion I took was the Quepos one to Manuel Antonio National Park, and I would have preferred doing that on my own.

Drake's Bay was wonderful -- no ship excursion needed there. I too took the hiking trail north along the coast and found the blue boat/canoes where for $5 a young local man took us up the river and helped us climb up a rough path for a dip in a waterfall pool. That was very special -- I wished I'd taken more cash so I'd have been able to tip my guide more. Very special place!

Tortuga was wonderful -- great beach BBQ, and we were lucky enough to have turtles hatch right where we were standing on the beach. What a treat to see the tiny hatchlings scramble to get to the water's edge before the birds swooped down to lunch on them. We probably were their allies since we all shooed away the birds and cheered the tiny baby turtles on.

I was there in January 2007 -- great trip! -- it was one of my favorite trips of my lifetime.

(For photos, go to http://fredasphotos1.shutterfly.com

and drop down to "Other Albums" where you'll find Costs Rica/Windstar)

Freda,

Both your pictures and comments are much appreciated. Thanks so much.

If time and inclination permits would you mind contacting me directly?

Mount Baker is in our travel plans for next year!

Gotta love coincidences :)

But since it's off topic....WAY off topic.... if you would drop me a line:

zolloam at consolidated dot net.

Promise to ask just two very quick questions. One of which will be: What on earth are you feeding Xoe ?? She is magnificent.

Thanks Freda!

I was glad to hear that the Nicaragua long tour was good. I don't think I'll be going there again and I 'd like to see as much as I can while I'm there, including what the countryside looks like from the bus windows!

Good info one the other stops too.

Guess who stayed up too late last night reading a C;) sta Rica guide book ?

New questions arise: "The entry to Manuel Antonio requires that you wade through water ranging from ankle to thigh deep." hmm

Don't mind one bit if my trekking clothes are wet, but footwear? Instead of good socks and light hikers should it be no socks and Keen sandals? I'll get blisters if sockless too long.

Comments anyone??

And did you see this place?? (Quepos Day)

http://www.rainmakercostarica.org/

How fascinating!! We may need to go here too.

And an FYI for LuAnn,

Both Xoe and YogaGal assure that no excursion is needed for Drake's Bay, and they are essentially correct, BUT, the Corcovado Park contains the largest colony of Scarlet Macaw in the country. The standard tour from Drake's Bay to the park includes a boat ride to San Pedrillo station, a guide, water and lunch. It's $75 :cool:

Windstar charges $129 for this tour. Alrighty. So we didn't need that $250 bucks for anything else now did we ?:rolleyes: ? We'll allow Windstar to get away with their outrageous mark up. At least now we know!

I saw people leaving holding shoes and bags over their heads at the closing of the park(3 or 4 pm ?)If you have the keen or merrill or teva water shoes which you will want for this trip anyway, you should be fine.

Re: the corcovado tour-i would take the regular tour and save the $$$$

I did take the ship's excursion. Each guide (there were many groups) had arrangements made for small rowboats to ferry their group across this river/creek. If on my own, I would take off shoes/socks/sandals and walk through the water at the level it was on our day there (not very high). Or, I'm guessing you could hire one of the boat operators yourself. If you decide to cross on your own without removing footwear, it might be a good day for wearing Tevas or something similar designed to get wet, with socks to put on later when your feet dry out. It certainly wasn't thigh-high when we were there -- but I suppose it could be.

If I were planning to go there again, with hindsight, I would either go to the park on my own, or perhaps go to the Rainmaker site. I enjoyed the day, but as always I prefer being in a wild place either by myself or in a very small group -- I get a better feel for a place, see more, and can go at my own speed. I walked the Curu Reserve alone, and loved it.

oh but, Yog-G!

We are Birder Nerds!! The Mac :eek: ws!!! The Mac :eek: ws!!!

Did you hear any bad reports?

Have Keens, but they are inadequate for long distances. Gotta have socks.

Thanks Xoe. Perfect :)

Hikers w/ socks, slip on, light water shoes, stuffed in back pack. On our own, PERFECT !!!

Heck, I'm thinking we may rent a car and do both.

Archived