RCCL's Mexican Cuisine Workshop & Tasting

PH8

No, but I sort of promised him I would take him to Mr. Sancho's for the tequila tasting there.;)

If you do the PlayaMia one,he can taste all the tequila he wants...........they kept giving us shots and we did Mexican "cheers".....I passed on the shots.....its not for me,but the pina coladas were really good...............:)

Yes we have done this one and have done the many shots... DH is a big tequila drinker, in fact the Mexican Resteraunt we eat at every week. the owners gave us a list of what tequila to bring back and how to order one of the local party drinks...LOL they are great guys but I will drink a beer and make sure we make it back to the ship. Although I'm sure DH would like to live on a beach and drink margaritas.;)

Yes we have done this one and have done the many shots... DH is a big tequila drinker, in fact the Mexican Resteraunt we eat at every week. the owners gave us a list of what tequila to bring back and how to order one of the local party drinks...LOL they are great guys but I will drink a beer and make sure we make it back to the ship. Although I'm sure DH would like to live on a beach and drink margaritas.;)

Some of the best Tequila we've ever bought was in the Cancun duty free shop last year (this was before the liquid ban). We are definitely going to try and find some again this trip!

Some of the best Tequila we've ever bought was in the Cancun duty free shop last year (this was before the liquid ban). We are definitely going to try and find some again this trip!

Won't be going to Cancun this year but I am putting this in with all my need to remember tidbits so when I go I will know where to go.:)

You've got me sold! Sounds fun!

I saw that they post it as a 5hr excursion. How long does it take to get to Playa Mia? Is it decent transportation? I mean, are you all crammed into one of those extra mini vans? My Husband just hates that, when you have a long ride to your destination AND you're jammed into a can....I mean van.......

You've got me sold! Sounds fun!

I saw that they post it as a 5hr excursion. How long does it take to get to Playa Mia? Is it decent transportation? I mean, are you all crammed into one of those extra mini vans? My Husband just hates that, when you have a long ride to your destination AND you're jammed into a can....I mean van.......

When we went a year ago there were 3 couple in a 10 passenger van... the driver got us there in 10 or 15 minutes. He made the other passengers nervous but I figured they drive these roads every day and I have been known to drive a little faster on back roads that I drive every day but that is me.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't want to sound like an old worry wart but I have to ask, the water is it safe to use in their kitchen. Many peoplr say don't use the water and I'm not trying to be funny. This really sounds like something my wife and I would like to do.

We didn't have any problems but we were drinking beer.;) However I seem to remember some people were drinking water and it was bottled water. If you are referring to the cooking I don't remember using water in anything, does anyone else remember using water?

We didn't have any problems but we were drinking beer.;) However I seem to remember some people were drinking water and it was bottled water. If you are referring to the cooking I don't remember using water in anything, does anyone else remember using water?

We didn't have any problems, but we were drinking margaritas! Just don't drink the water and you'll be fine. We had so much fun on this 12/06, that we have it booked again for 3/08.

• 5 weeks later...

I just want to thank whoever it was who said this was the thing to do in Cozumel - I agree! It was the high point of our trip on the Voyager and would love to do it again. The food was good too! If you have any interest at all in cooking, you won't be disappointed!

This is a copy of what I just posted on another thread:

Just did this excursion just last Tuesday, January 30th, and it was GREAT! Luis is the young, very personable and entertaining chef (he's 24!). Same menu. This class is held in a separate 2-story building that appears to have been built solely for this purpose. The dining room is upstairs. The other couple at our cooking station had been to the resort a few years earlier, had seen it when it was held outside and couldn't wait to join the class themselves. My daughter can't eat wheat, so they specially made her a corn meal only dough for the sope. I'm allergic to cinnamon, used in the rice pudding. They provided small pieces rather than powder, so we just left it out. The fish serving was generous and the mango sauce very tasty. Decorating the plates was fun. We learned how to drink Tequilla Mexican style. Gordito is the runner for drinks and ice cold water. There are several helpers that keep things running smoothly and on time. The Playa Mia resort is clean and colorful with shopping there on the site at reasonable prices. A large iguana posed for photos in the parking lot. The beach was clean with lots of "chairs" to lounge in. Large clean rest room facilities. The only drawback was that we only had 30 minutes to enjoy the beach after we ate. I guess we could have stayed another 1/2 hour and returned later by private taxi. The tents over the large open air buffet area are distinctive and easily seen as we sailed away at sunset and made a great photo opt from our balcony. Because there are only 5 cooking stations, the maximum group is 20 cooks and this excursion sells out in advance and well worth it!! Take a few dollars for a tip jar at the end of the day (strictly voluntary). A young woman takes photos of the individual groups with the chef and assistants. Normally we run from these, but with a heavy colorful frame, the cost was $22 for a great photo ($12 I think for the photo alone.) This experience was just plain a whole lot of fun.

Water question: For drinking, purified water is available in ice cold sealed cups. I think the only uncooked veggie is the lettuce on the sope. With everything so clean and so much obvious care being given to the food and facilities, I went ahead and ate it. No problems.

Meeting spot/Taxi: to the left just before you get to the large duty free shopping building. The sign was not up when we first walked past that area. We were almost 30 minutes late leaving on the excursion meaning we only had 30 minutes for the beach area. The Playa Mia rep apparently hires the next available taxi, or so it appeared, and pays for transportation on the spot. I think there were 8 persons in our van for 10. The ride was only 10 or 12 minutes.

Linda