Adventure or Serenade

bouhunter

OK all you veterans of many cruises, a question!:)

We sailed Mariner and Navigator the past two winters, and are doing Liberty in a couple months. Obviously we're hooked on this cruisin' thing now, and have booked Adventure out of San Juan for Feb. 2009. Now we notice that Serenade of the Seas also sails from San Juan and has a great schedule of ports too. The big question, so far all we've done is Exlplorer class ships, promenade, etc. Would be be just as happy with Serenade of the seas? I assume for example the Adventure Ocean for the kids is just as good? How would the ship "feel" compared to one with the promenade?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome! Thanks!!

The Serenade is a little smaller and doesn't have an ice rink (if that matters to you). But the Serenade is one of the most beautiful ships afloat along with her sister ships. The kids would have a wonderful time. There is beautiful views practically anywhere you look. Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the Serenade.

I have sailed both the Voyager (same class as the Adventure) and the Serenade. I really liked both, but for different reasons. The Promenade really is an enjoyable place on the ship and there's always something to see or do there, but there's plenty to see and do aboard the Serenade as well. If I had to choose between the two, I would definetly choose the Serenade. Never once did the ship feel crowded and there were tons of indoor and outdoor spaces to enjoy. She really is a beautiful ship! I really enjoyed those things that the Seranade had that the Voyager did not more than I enjoyed those things that the Voyager had that the Serenade did not. I'd choose the Seaview Cafe and the Safari Club on the Serenade anyday over Johnny Rockets and the Ice Skating Rink on the Voyager.

We've done both ships but by far our favorite is the Serenade. We love all the glass and the feel of being on a smaller (not a whole lot) ship. We love the ports it goes to and the staff are absolutely wonderful. We have booked it again for 2008. Can't go wrong with the Serenade.

Ann

Here's another vote for trying Serenade this time around. That itinerary is very port intensive too, so you won't be spending full days on the ship looking for Voyager-class types of activities to keep you busy.

Re: kids.... our kids were on Brilliance.... the sister ship to Serenade. They loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No skating rink. No in-line skating track. No promenade. But... they loved it. We had to drag them off the ship!!!!!

We also loved Serenade as much as we loved Brilliance. That class of ship is just amazing. Beautiful.

I has struggled with this decision in the past and here is a comparison that I once wrote....

The Voyager class is definitely my favorite. I have been on Explorer, Mariner, and Adventure for the Voyager class as well as Serenade for the Radiance class. Here is a bit of a comparison of the two classes.

Either class of ship is great but the Voyager class is just incredible. It is my favorite class of ship though I do like the Radiance class and there are plenty of folks here that prefer the Radiance class.

Both ships have rock climbing, miniture golf, and a basketball court. The Voyager class has a Royal Promenade which runs down the center of the ship and has shops and pubs. They also have "street performers" here. It is hard to describe how it feels the first time you step onto the Royal Promenade. I think it is amazing. They also have roller blading and an ice rink. You will never see anything like the ice show on any other class of ship except for Freedom. The adult solarium does not have a retractible glass roof over it. They have a beautiful three level dining room. They have Johnny Rocket's which is an extra charge hamburger food venue. They carry somewhere around 3200 passengers but are designed to do so very well.

Radiance class has much more glass which allows you to see the ocean from just about any public area of the ship including the elevators. The Radiance class ships tend to have a very elegant look and feel. They have a very beautiful centrum but, in my opinion, it is no match for the Promenade of the Voyager class. Their windjammers are beautiful and have outdoor seating which Voyager class does not have. However, it is pretty hot in the caribbean so you might want to eat inside in the air conditioning anyway. They also have self leveling pool tables. The adult solarium has a retractible glass roof. Mostly it is kept closed and the air conditioned interior is a welcome relief from the heat. They have a very nice two level dining room but it doesn't measure up to the look of a Voyager class dining room. They have the Seaview cafe which is a cruise fare included food venue that is great for late night snacks and has nice inside and outside seating. They carry around 2500 passengers. And just a note, the main pool is way too small for the number of passengers that the ships carry. And the shopping area really turns into a bottleneck of people when the shows are getting out.

I have to say that I suspected we would miss the Royal Promenade when we decided to book Serenade and I was right about that. I could write about the Promenade and the Voyager class ships all night but you just have to experience it yourself to understand.

However, I chose to do Serenade because we had already done two Voyager class ships in a row and I wanted to experience a bit of a change. In no way was I disappointed that we booked Serenade. She is a great ship and she is beautiful. I just prefer the Voyager class. I don't think you will be disappointed if you give her a try.

Archived