Post Disappeared. Question Re Ship's Motion

Katyany

I posted a question yesterday which has disappeared.

Anyway, the question was, is the motion of a ship more pronounced on a higher deck, or very far aft or forward?

In other words, when given a choice between a cabin on a high deck, but midship, or a cabin on a lower deck, but far aft or forward, which would be better in terms of motion?

Thanks.

I posted a question yesterday which has disappeared.

Anyway, the question was, is the motion of a ship more pronounced on a higher deck, or very far aft or forward?

In other words, when given a choice between a cabin on a high deck, but midship, or a cabin on a lower deck, but far aft or forward, which would be better in terms of motion?

Thanks.

I would say overall a higher deck midships rather than a lower deck at the front of the ship. However you will find others probably have a different view. I certainly have always felt the most movement right at the front and back than anywhere in the middle , even on a higher deck.

Hi Katyany....your original post didnt disappear....here's the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=12446282#post12446282

If you click on your screen name, you will see an option to "Find all posts by"...click there and you can find any thread you've started or posted to...hope it helps. :)

Most advice I have read on these message board/forums has advocated primarily midships, first, and than lower to higher. But in the age of modern ships with stabilizers and computer controlled propulsion and navigation the master of the ship will try to keep motion to a minimum...But, remember, it is a floating vessel!!!!

The higher up the more sway. The front of the ship feels the most motion.

Absolutely stay on a lower deck and midship if you suffer from motion.

The aft part of the ship has more vibration than the rest of the ship and I don't recommend cabins all the way (last few cabins).

Think about the QE2. She was originally designed (although she didn't go into service as) a three class ship. The bows and five deck were to be third, the stern and four deck second and the middle of 1,2 and 3 were to have been first. The better the grade of cabin the higher the class rating it got:)

The upper decks of the QM2 are buffeted (sp?) by the wind. Combine that with pitch... being forward can be quite uncomfortable.

The best location is lower deck, midship. As in the Cat B sheltered balconies.

There are no cabins on this ship which are near the engines... plus she's podded anyway.

The upper decks of the QM2 are buffeted (sp?) by the wind. Combine that with pitch... being forward can be quite uncomfortable.

The best location is lower deck, midship. As in the Cat B sheltered balconies.

There are no cabins on this ship which are near the engines... plus she's podded anyway.

The very worst vibration I have encountered was in one of the MX grade suites on Midnatsol. Podded ship. It was so bad that I was woken up each time we went into port. Which was several times a night.....

Lovely ship, lovely suite - but sound sleepers only. Much the same age as QM2 although very much smaller of course - about 20,000 grt.

It was on the top deck too!

Matthew

we have been on QM2 twice, if your worried about motion then ok go on deck 4 or 5, we just had a balcony on deck 8 and never felt any motion, in fact I wanted some movement.

to be honest if you were on the ship you would never know she was moving.

rob

As a long term sailor in small yachts and now on cruises, the best place is to be is as low a deck as possible and midships. If you think about being up a mast, when the yacht rolls, the motion will be unbelievable at the top of the mast and very little at the bottom. Also, on a ship that is pitching, if you are in the middle, you will feel a lot less than if you are forward or aft.

Archived