RCCL No More Lobster in 08, Same for Celebrity?

Brad1185

There was a recent posting on this board from a poster with all the evening menu's from Mille...one poster noted there was no lobster on any of the menus so it might be possible they have removed it. The new menu's looked very nice, but there will be many who look forward to the lobster and will be unhappy.

Our recent (Aug/Sept 07) sailing on Legend of the Seas did not include lobster. They substituted crayfish for the lobster. Our table mates had it and said it was good. I had the turf without the surf that night. I hope Celebrity does not drop lobster from the menus as it has been a long-standing tradition for cruiseships. I was planning on having a second lobster on our next cruise to offset that day's fuel surcharge.:rolleyes:

'Miner

I was planning on having a second lobster on our next cruise to offset that day's fuel surcharge.:rolleyes:

'Miner

What...and risk having a lobster surcharge imposed next?;)

If the quality of food overall is very good, I won't miss having a lobster tail. I've enjoyed them in the past, but there are some items that I've enjoyed more. I could also give up the Baked Alaska.

There was a recent posting on this board from a poster with all the evening menu's from Mille...one poster noted there was no lobster on any of the menus so it might be possible they have removed it. The new menu's looked very nice, but there will be many who look forward to the lobster and will be unhappy.

I just disembarked Millennium last weekend and as I have stated before "the new menus" are identical to the old menus with just one new appetizer and one new main course every evening.

The Chef told us during the Galley Tour that the recipees did not change AT ALL since the departure of Michael Roux. Only the new dishes are non Michael Roux recipees. These new dishes have been rolled out fleet wide during the past months. There are no further changes to be expected in the very near future.

And obviously there is lobster on the last formal night. It was delicious.

Floris

Floris - I was confused...it was a poster just back from the Century...here are the menus that he reported for the recent 10 night....it all looks good, but definately no lobster!

Century 10n menus

Day 1

Selection of fruit with fresh Mint

Shrimp Cocktail

Galantine of Duckling with Lingonberry Cream

Feuillete of Mushrooms in a creamy Herb Sauce

Oven Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup

Oriental Vegetable Consomme

Chilled Tangerine and Apple

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

Broiled South African Cape Hake

Supreme of Chicken Saltimbocca

Veal Piccata Milanese

All American Prime Rib

Crème Brulee

Raspberry Cheesecake

Chocolate Croquant Royale

Pistachio St Honore

Day 2 [formal]

Carpaccio of Roasted Pineapple

Crab Cocktail Nautilus

Warm Montrachet Cheese and Potato Gratin

Gratinated Oysters Rockefeller

Cream of Chicken Dame Blanche

Classic French Onion Soup

Chilled Melon and Mint

Farfalle with Olive and Sun dried Tomatoes

Grilled Halibut

Gulf Shrimp Marseillaise

Roasted Midwestern Pork Loin

Tournedos Rossini

Apple Tart Tatin with Caramel Sauce

Exotic Panna Cotta

Cherries Jubilee

Paris Brest

Low fat Mint Sherbet with Lemon

Day 3

Iced Cup of Assorted Fruits with Amaretto

Sliced Tomato with Buffalo Mozzarella and fresh Basil

Escargots a la Bourguignon

Spinach turnover with Emmental Cheese Sauce

Louisiana Gumbo

Mushroom Bisque

Chilled Gazpacho Andalouse

Risotto with Seafood

Flounder Stuffed with Crabmeat and Crayfish

Golden Roasted Tender Chicken

Washington State Lamb Shank

New York Strip Steak Maitre d’Hotel

Tiramisu

Chocolate Framboisine

Fruit Vacherin

Almond and Orange Blancmange

Day 4

Papaya with lime and mint Sherbet

Prosciutto Ham with Sweet Melon Slices

Marinated Salmon and Cucumber Tartar

San Francisco Crab Cake with Mango Citrus Sauce

Cream of Broccoli

Double Beef Consommé with Chive Celestine

Chilled Vichyssoise

Black Linguini with Seafood

Grilled Salmon marinated in Teriyaki Sauce

Roast Turkey

Grilled Veal Chop

Tender Beef Short Ribs

Praline Cake with Raspberries

Nougat Glace with blackberry Sauce

Gateau Chocolate Imperial

Pear Flan Soufflé

Day 5

Symphony of Assorted Fruits with Maracudja Vinaigrette

Seafood Ceviche marinated with Tequila and Cilantro served with Avocado

Wild Mushroom and Chicken Pate

Scallops with Thai Salsa and Rice Cake

New England Clam Chowder

Beef and Vegetable Consommé

Chilled Strawberry

Penne Rigati al Quattro Formaggi

Fillet of Sole Meuniere

Duckling a l’Orange

Medallions of Pork Chasseur

Roasted Aged Prime Rib of Nebraska Beef

Megeve Chocolate Cake

Crepes Suzette

Coconut Custard Flan

Tulip filled with Crème Diplomat and Bosque berries

Day 6 [formal]

Chilled Pineapple Banana with Raspberry Puree

Soft Spring Roll Imperial

Carpaccio of Beef Tenderloin with grainy Mustard Aioli and Parmesan Shavings

Frogs Legs with Garlic and Parsley Butter

Chicken with Velvet Corn

Clear Oxtail with Sherry

Chilled Cucumber Yoghurt with Dill and Prawns

Rigatoni all’Amatricciana

Corviua with White Soubise

Oven Roastd Quails

Rack of Lamb Celebrity

Filet Mignon

Stwarberry MilleFeuille

Charlotte Beaujolaise

Cream Beau Rivage

Sacher Torte

Day 7

Citrus Delight with Cranberry Apple Vinaigrette

Melody of Marinated Salmon and Halibut

Grilled Jalapeno Cheese Polenta

Cassolette of Vineyard Escargots

Butternut Squash and Apples

Chicken Broth with Diced Vegetables and Tortellini

Chilled Black Cherry

Pasta Chimayo

Atlantic Ling Cod with sauce Vierge

Coq au Vin Grandmothers’ style

Iowa Center Cut Pork Chop

Roasted Sliced Sirloin of Grain-fed Beef

Strawberry ~Shortcake

Apply Royale

Passionfruit Cheesecake

Chocolate Chambourd

Day 8

Fresh Seasonal Fruit Plate delicately laced with Mango Coulis

Shrimp Cocktail with Two Sauces

Chicken liver Pistachio Parfait

Onion, Beef and Cheese Turnover

The Masters Fish Bisque

Vegetable Consommé with Cellophane Noodles and Mushrooms

Chilled Avocado Soup with Green Chili Salsa

Fettuccini all’Alfredo

Broiled Fillet of Wahoo

Breast of Long Island Duck with a light Lemon Confit

Oven Roasted Rack of Veal

Marinated Tender Beef Tips

Ice Parfait with Grand Marnier

Chestnut Raspberry Biscuit

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Warm Apricot Tart

Day 9

Chilled Honeydew Melon Midori

Italian Roasted and Grilled Vegetables

Bouillabaisse Terrine

Lobster Ravioli served on Sauce Americaine

Minestrone Casalingo

Sweetcorn and Chorizo Chowder

Chilled Exotic Paradise

Pappardelle con Funghi

Sesame Seared Yellow Fin Tuna Steak

Turkey Scallopini with Almonds

Stuffed Pork Loin Forestiere

Entrecote Café de Paris

Sour Cream Marbled Cheesecake

Caramel Macadamia Nut Mousse

Chocolate Chiffon Pie

Pistachio Strawberry Daquuoise

Day 10

Bouquet of Tropical Fruits with a dash of Galliano

Thinly sliced Parma Ham with melon and Figs

Baked Goats Cheese and Roasted Bell Peppers Tart

Cod Fritters with Tomato Coulis

Cream of Mushroom

Consommé Captain Morgan

Vichyssoise style lettuce and Tomato

Farfalle Pasta with Spiced Crab

Grilled Gongrio Choron

Grilled Baby Spring Chicken

Osso Buco alla Milanese con Gremolata

Chateaubriand Brillat Savarin

Hawaiian Upside Down cake

Peach Sovereign

Flourless Chocolate Dome

Angel Food Cake

Sherbet with Poached Pear and Strawberry sauce

Always Available

Selection of Salads

Shrimp Cocktail with Traditional cocktail Sauce

Caesar Salad

Grilled Fillet of Salmon with Herb Butter

Broiled Marinated Chicken Supreme

New York cut Sirloin Steak

Assorted Ice Creams and Sherbets

Selection of Domestic and Imported Cheeses served with Crackers and Biscuits

Thats very disappointing that they are cutting it out company wide. We were looking to canceling a couple of upcoming RCI cruises to Celebrity to try to stay ahead of the cutbacks. We were hoping since Celebrity is supposed to be premium over RCI they would stay.

I have never really understood the upset about lobster - I ordered it my first cruise and haven't since.

I live in a medium-sized city and I can drive four miles from my house and enjoy lobster served several different ways, including plucked live from the tank.

On the other hand, there isn't a place in town where I can try 70% of the entrees on the above Century menus.

Personally, I'd rather try new things or different things and that doesn't include frozen lobster tails.

So it's a cruising tradition - traditions are made to be abandoned!!!

Just back from century and we did have lobster the last formal night. However, I would be thrilled to do away with the whole baked alaska schtick--I've been cruising for 25 years and I am so tired of the same old thing. . .surely in this age of creativity they could come up with something better than that--how about flaming creme brulee? LOL! I never take the BA when they offer it and they always look at me like I am some kind of freak--yuck!

CP

I too, could care less now about the Baked Alaska. I do like lobster, but only if it is tender! The last several times we were on X the lobster was so tough I could not cut it. Actually, I do like everything served if it is tender.

I am thinking of going to the Specialty Restauant on the last formal evening, and yes, we do charge our tips and also will hand our waiter and assistant the envelope with extra.

I just really hate all the hoopla that goes on in the main DR on this evening.

I guess I am getting old.....ha ha. (the new 70 is 55 in my mind!).

On Millennium last week we had the opportunity and pleasure, to speak with Mr. Seidler, Food and Beverage Manager, several times. He spoke of a worldwide shortage of lobster and how it was becoming nearly impossible to offer it as a menu choice. They are absolutely aware of the appeal of lobster as well as the tradition on cruise ships. He did not mention that it would be discontinued and the subject of cost cutting did not come up. On our cruise we were in the Olympic on 2 of the 3 formal nights so we did not order lobster in Metropolitan.

Morecruises now, you need to read futher, the op got an updated response from RCI stating that lobster would be gone in Jan 2008 and they said sorry for the incorrect information.

On the Summit cruise 2 weeks ago, all 8 at our table of 9 people all they talked about was the baked alaska, everynight, to me its nothing special. When it was served, they acted like it was the best tasting thing they have ever eaten.

Crayfish--are they kidding--? Hope that wasn't on formal night...

that and lots of cheap pasta with bits of various fish-- but as long as there is one good offering per night we will do OK-- On our Century cruise in Sept (old menu) we actually hit the salad bar on a few nights...& did not starve!

the new menus seem to get away from the Euro-continental offerings Celeb became noted for in favor of the move toward "Las Vegasizing" the ships! Wonder if the menus in the alt restaurant is also changing--maybe they'll have the lobster...not a fan myself but seems to be a big tradition...

I never order the lobster or baked Alaska. The seafood dishes on cruises don't appeal to me, period. Most of the time I prefer fish deep fried and disguised, lol. If there is no chocolate dessert on the menu, I don't order, except for key lime pie. I've had waiters who brought me chocolate even when there was none on the menu, sometimes plating it themselves. Those are the ones who always get extra tips. :D

We are sailing Mercury to Aust/NZ in Jan. I wonder if the above menu is the same or similar to what we will have. DH will be disappointed if there is no lobster, but it will be better for him since shellfish flares up his gout. He has a hard enough time limiting his shrimp cocktail intake. :eek:

I read somewhere that there are too many big ships now and therefore cruiselines cannot keep up with the demand for items like lobster or lobster tails.

I have not been thrilled with most of the lobster I have had on ships anyone, ususally over cooked tails, so it would be an issue for me if they dropped it.

There is now a new thread over on the RCCL board that has an updated memo from RCCL stating that the previous information was a mistake and that RCCL is not removing lobster from any sailings.

I guess I am getting old.....ha ha. (the new 70 is 55 in my mind!).

:eek: Good evening,

Just think you're like the speed limt :: used to be 70, now 55, and everybody lives a tad longer !!!

So YES : 70 is indeed 55 !!! That makes me 52.....love it !! (So long as the Pension cheques keep coming in.......)

Cheers

:D

Actually, I have seen two types of lobsters served on cruise ships over the years - American and Caribbean Spiny.

The American Lobster (Homarus americanus), generally known as the 'Maine' lobster, has large claws. We have seen this one served as the tail only on ships. Off-ship, this type is generally served boiled or steamed whole, with a bib, and plier-type crackers for the claws. It's bright red when cooked, normally has a smooth coloration, and is absolutely delicious.

The Caribbean Spiny Lobster (Panulirus argus), generally known as 'Spiny' or 'Florida' lobster, is usually served as a tail, but is sometimes split and stuffed. On-ship, the tail is usually boiled or steamed, but is more often found broiled or grilled off-ship. Look for an orangey-red color, stripes on the shell, and the underneath side having points where the shell back hinges to the underneath. It is usually served with lemon and butter, and is also absolutely delicious.

Some say that the meat of the Spiny lobster is sweeter, and the Maine is saltier. There are also many more species and types, any of which may show up on your plate as they are all yummy.

Personally, I am partial to Spiny Lobsters that I have hunted myself, grilled with lemon and butter.

Interestingly, over the last few years, we have seen the proportion of lobsters we have seen and sexed on our and adjacent tables increase from mostly female, to exclusively female.

Unfortunately, no one has yet offered me a position of official lobster-sexer on a cruise ship, but there's always hope. ;)

Happy eating!

Wendy

For those interested, here's a page that shows photos of some of the varieties.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/arthropoda/lobsters/lobsters.htm

I just disembarked Millennium last weekend and as I have stated before "the new menus" are identical to the old menus with just one new appetizer and one new main course every evening.

The Chef told us during the Galley Tour that the recipees did not change AT ALL since the departure of Michael Roux. Only the new dishes are non Michael Roux recipees. These new dishes have been rolled out fleet wide during the past months. There are no further changes to be expected in the very near future.

And obviously there is lobster on the last formal night. It was delicious.

Floris

Do all the X ships do Kitchen Tours and is it on the first sea day? Will the Century 5 day itinerary most likely have the tour?

Archived