Ingredients

3 egg yolks

1 tablespoon cream

1 cup (1/2 pound) melted unsalted butter, cooled to room temperature

1 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

Dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce

Preparation

Use a small, thick ceramic bowl set in a heavy-bottomed pan, or a heavyweight double boiler. Off the heat, put the egg yolks and cream in the bowl or upper section of the double boiler and stir with a wire whisk until well-blended — the mixture should never be beaten but stirred, evenly, vigorously and continually. Place the container over hot water (if you are setting the bowl in water, there should be about 1 1/2 inches of water in the pan; in a double boiler, the water should not touch the top section). Stirring eggs continuously, bring the water slowly to a simmer. Do not let it boil. Stir, incorporating the entire mixture so there is no film at the bottom. When the eggs have thickened to consistancy of very heavy cream, begin to add the cooled melted butter with one hand, stirring vigorously with the other. Pour extremely slowly so that each addition is blended into the egg mixture before more is added. When all the butter has been added, add the lemon juice or vinegar a drop at a time and immediately remove from heat. Add salt and a mere dash of cayenne or hot sauce.

Some places also have it with smoked salmon instead of ham, or a vegetarian version. I like the classic one best though.

The classic Eggs Benedict is Canadian bacon and poached egg, on toasted English muffin half, topped with Hollandaise. It is the only true Eggs Benedict.

Varities have their own names:

Eggs Hussard - Similar, but w/grilled tomato, marchand de vin and Hollandaise.

Eggs Sardou - Creamed spinach and artichoke on English muffin, with poached eggs and Hollandaise.

Eggs Verde` - Creamed veggies on English muffin, poached egg, and Hollandaise.

MOST of the time, these eggs entrees are served as brunch.:)

Great to have the recipe for Hollandaise sauce, however I'm pretty sure they use package sauce because they have to make so much, and you can't keep real hollandaise in a steam table or it will solidify. That being said, it's my favorite breakfast along with a side of bacon and sauteed mushrooms, yummmmmy.

It can be "held" for a time if you place a buttered "catouche" on top, and keep the bain to a low heat, any more heat and it will split.

I would have thought that they would have used the sterilised tetra packed sauce, which for mass catering is not bad, but not for us. Regards

• 1 month later...

I had @ 20 people over to the house on Boxing day for Eggs benedict. I used Knorr Swiss package hollandaise sauce, but it is the best "package" sauce. A few comments were, The best Eggs Benedict I've ever had, those were great and can I have more. It is best when the eggs are soft poached, yum runny yolks.

Archived