do u use anti-anxiety med for flying???

bnsilly

Sounding like Xanax or Ativan are the drugs of choice..aside from a couple drinks...lol

Won't get into particulars into the why's, etc.. Really don't want to think about it more than I need to..just wanted some suggestions on meds, etc..Thanks to all!

Hey Gail...love the line on your siggy....Lovin' some Chesney...;) :p

What works for me is a couple bloody marys and a good set of head phones. dh brings a dvd player. 5hr. flight aint nothing to us......

What'cha watching on that dvd, Kurb?

10 mg valium and a crown and coke I hate to fly.

Tried that with beer and made me sicker than a dog

I have been traveling to Asia forever and use Xanax with water. I get a good 8 to 10 hours sleep and wake up refreshed. Flying does not make me nervous, the sleep just kills many of the hours on the long flights.

What'cha watching on that dvd, Kurb?

Hey stranger......

Mostly just seinfield....I think he is on season 7 or 8. Can't sleep on a plane...so we use the dvd player between the movies they show. dh get's real antsy, being a type A personalty it is hard for him to sit in one place that long.

If so...what seems to work well for you??

Have a 5 hr flight to San Juan, and am thinking I could use a little "help" getting through it...:eek: :o

Yes. I'm on prescription strength anti-depressants/anxiety meds and on top of that I take 1/2-1 mg of Lorazepam (Ativan). Anti-Anxiety meds will generally cause you to get a bit sleepy. So I'd take a trial run.

If I slept through the whole darn flight that would be ok with me...lol :D

If you want prescription just remember you need to get them from your doc. Focus on your anxiety over flying, they should be able to prescribe you something. Xanax and Ativan are the most common. Start out with 1/2 a pill and go up from there.

I always fly "air Xanax". Couldn't fly without it.

ETA-please be careful when mixing anti anxiety (Xanax/Ativan) with alcohol. I'm not trying to scare anyone but one of my employees girlfriend died from mixing Xanax and alcohol. And she really didn't take a lot of either.

If you do go that route, be sure to do a "practice run" one day. Take the meds to see how you react. You don't want your first time using them to be the day you fly out to a cruise in case you have some kind of reaction or ill affect.

I would recommend one PM Tylenol.

Tylenol PM is NOT an anti-anxiety drug. If someone has a genuine fear of flying and they NEED some form of prescription medication because they MUST fly somewhere, then the proper thing is to call their physician and get something short acting for the flight.

A short acting anti-anxiety drug such as Xanax might work, but once again the individual physician needs to know the persons medical history, what they are allergic to, what other medications they are on, and what contra-indications there are to any particular anti-anxiety medication for that individual.

To the OP, I would not recommend following the advice of anyone here who is not in the medical field.

Tylenol PM will NOT cure anxiety, it is a moderate analgesic for relief of pain, and nothing else.

A few drinks might not help either, and could have the opposite effect of making one even more anxious about the trip.

BnB

My sister is terrified of heights, (so much so I hate having her in the car with me) and she also used Ativan with great results. Relaxed her and helped her cope with the anxiety.

Me, I guess I'm one of the odd ones, I love the whole experience. Getting to the airport early, people watching, the flight itself. Next flight is is January, can't wait:p :eek:

One Aivan, followed by a double shot of Crown is my personal remedy, but not recommended for everyone! I'm not a nervous flyer per se, but when I'm wound right up over something, I take the above and things really get a whole lot better in my world.

Dee :o

I use xanax also. First time I flew I went to the doc and told him what was up, no problem he wrote me a prescription of about 15 pills. I think they were .05 mg. He also told me that I could take up to 3 pills at a time but to give it 15 to 20 minutes to work. My doctor advised me to take one the weekend before I flew in case I reacted to the prescription. On the day of my flight I took one pill as we drove to the airport which was about an hour away, no problem and still jittery as heck. Then as they were calling to board I took one. Thought I was okay until they shut the doors and then I stood up. My hubby grabbed my arm and told me to take another pill. After that I was fine, kind of dozed on the flight.

I would not hesitate to ask for a prescription, as a matter of fact due to my anxiwety I had a prescription for my cruise. Took one the very first day since I was very anxious but after that the sea was my xanax. Wish they would bottle that feeling.

What is it that bothers you about flying? I've never been a nervous flyer, so I don't know what causes it. Mostly it's extremely boring.

I don't know why flying causes me extreme anxiety. So much so that I do NOT fly, even with Xanax. I have flown all over the world previously, but no more. If I had to guess I would say it is a form of Claustrophobia. I can't stand being confined, and a crowded plane just gives me heart palpitations thinking about it. Needless to say we are driving to Tampa to cruise and if I missed the ship in port I would need to wait until the following week and book another cruise to get off the islands. The only thing that would make me get on a plane is if my son (in the navy) was hurt overseas and I needed to get to him. But still I would imagine DH would need to get a wheelchair for me cause I would need to be knocked out.

Tylenol PM is NOT an anti-anxiety drug. If someone has a genuine fear of flying and they NEED some form of prescription medication because they MUST fly somewhere, then the proper thing is to call their physician and get something short acting for the flight.

A short acting anti-anxiety drug such as Xanax might work, but once again the individual physician needs to know the persons medical history, what they are allergic to, what other medications they are on, and what contra-indications there are to any particular anti-anxiety medication for that individual.

To the OP, I would not recommend following the advice of anyone here who is not in the medical field.

Tylenol PM will NOT cure anxiety, it is a moderate analgesic for relief of pain, and nothing else.

A few drinks might not help either, and could have the opposite effect of making one even more anxious about the trip.

BnB

Tylenol PM contains the analgesic acetominophen plus the antihistamine diphenhydramine HCl, which acts to make a person drowsy. The drowsiness may alleviate a mild anxiety about flying, but for significant problems, your recommendation of getting medical advice is appropriate.

Flying doesn't bother me, but getting through TSA security does.

My doctor has given my a prescription of Xanax as well. It really helps. But I'm worried about my next flight...my claustophobia seems to be getting worse and I'm having a hard time just getting on elevators. I might try a local hypnotist who everyone swears by. Anyone try this route???

Archived