Westerdam/Veendam or Crown Princess for 70yr old mom & daughters?

Icyhill

I'd like to take my mom on a cruise to celebrate her 70th year, but am not sure which. It would be about 1 year from now and I'm thinking 7 days/out of FL/St. Thomas-St. Martin etc. I'm considering the Westerdam/Veendam/Eurodam and the Crown Princess primarily.

Mom is 70, limited in mobility (very slow & with cane), never stayed in a fancy hotel, has not traveled much. Needs a nap in the afternoon most days. Is an insulin-dependant diabetic. Not a big nature-lover or beach person. Would not be comfortable if cruise is too formal. Likes visiting with people, shows, comfortable surroundings, playing cards, moderate interest in learning new things. I'd love her to have extended time with my sis & I and some pampering (not spa-type pampering). She is interested in going somewhere warm when it's cold at home (MN). I want this vacation to be all about her!

What do you recommend? Would HAL Westerdam or Veendam suit her or the Crown Princess maybe? All 3 of us would need to share a room due to expense - Would we need a mini-suite type room to be comfortable? Or would a standard balcony be ok. BTW, mom usually goes to bed early (9 pm) and takes a looooong time in the bathroom always.

THANKS!!! Icyhill :)

First of all, since she has limited mobility, I would suggest the smallest ship on your list of potentials, because sometimes it is a long walk from one venue to another. As for cabin type, if you mom is going to be 70, I will take a risk and assume that you two are not spring chickens. Many cabins for three have the third person in a pull down bunk. Some will have a couch that makes into the third bed. I am not sure if that translated into a mini-suite, it might depend on the line. No cabin will offer more than one bathroom...with possible exception of the top end suites. Both cruise lines you mentioned would be appropriate: you will find that the longer the cruise, the older the average age of the passengers...If you are booking far enough out to have a good selections of cabins to choose from, check out the deck plan and perhaps choose one not too far from the elevtors...EM

• 2 weeks later...

The last post is a good one. Was on the Noordam last fall and it would seem too big for someone with mobility issues. Check out a smaller ship and ask for a room right at the elevater. We joked that we needed to pack a lunch for the long walk to our room. Get your travel agent to make sure the ship is aware that your mom should be seated near the dining room entrance because they are also quite long. If she uses a walker the entrance into the washroom in her cabin may also be a problem because most are raised. Go to the lines site and look up room layouts, etc. Most lines have rooms for passengers with disabilities, etc. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised on the Veendam in December. There were a LOT of people with mobility issues. The wonderful crew seemed to be at hand to help out whenever needed. From listening to announcements, I gathered that it is difficult to get wheelchair excursions outside of the US. Key West was a go but they could not guarantee access outside of USA. You might want to call and get suggestions for ports outside of USA. Many of these folks seemed to stay onboard and enjoy the activities. There was even an elderly blind man traveling alone with his dog. This crew is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

We have sailed twice on Holland America and will again shortly. We have been on the Veendam and the Ziuderdam. I think that the Veendam would be the better choice as it is a smaller ship. We had less motion/rocking on the Veendam than on the Zuiderdam. Also, we had a cabin closer to the elevator and there were several people near us who had the mobil scooter type vehicles. The ports we went to on the Western Carribean in 2005 only had to be tendered once, and the staff was very helpful with the people who needed assistance. As far as formality, it's as formal as you make it. I was intimidated the first cruise I went on that I wasn't dressed fancy enough, but you get over it. If she is comfortable and is presentable- who cares? Let her enjoy the trip! I personally would book a larger cabin- maybe the suite for the three of you. The interior and ocean view cabins are good for 2, but cramped for 3. Also, not much room in the bathroom for someone with mobility problems. Hope you enjoy your trip!

• 4 weeks later...

I think both cruise lines would be good. I would be sure to request disability assistance for getting off and on the ship and at the airport. Ship personal use wheel chairs and special lines to whisk you through the boarding process to your cabin. Those lines and walks can be tough. Also a wheel chair can be requested for shipboard use that you can store in your cabin. This can be especially helpful to go between the dining room and the shows usually at opposite ends of the ship. I would get cruise insurance either from the cruise line or someplace like AAA since Medicare won't pay out of country and sadly you may have to cancel at the last minute and not get a refund.

Archived