What to do with diabetic needles?

tripman

Hello

My parents will be traveling soon on Princess and aren't sure what to do about disposing diabetic needles after usage. The first question is, do they need to notify the cruiseline that there will be needles with them to begin with? And secondly, how do they get a container to dispose of them properly.

Any past experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello

My parents will be traveling soon on Princess and aren't sure what to do about disposing diabetic needles after usage. The first question is, do they need to notify the cruiseline that there will be needles with them to begin with? And secondly, how do they get a container to dispose of them properly.

Any past experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

When my husband and I travel we usually take an empty 1 liter water bottle with us and place all the used syringes in that. If there is a safe in the room we place it in there or take it and place it in our car. In January when we cruised on RCCL the room steward asked us if we would like a "sharps" container. He said that if we used that they would then arrange disposal at the end of the cruise. If you call Princess I am sure they will let you know what their requirments are.

When my husband and I travel we usually take an empty 1 liter water bottle with us and place all the used syringes in that. If there is a safe in the room we place it in there or take it and place it in our car. In January when we cruised on RCCL the room steward asked us if we would like a "sharps" container. He said that if we used that they would then arrange disposal at the end of the cruise. If you call Princess I am sure they will let you know what their requirments are.

What do you do with the plastic bottle when you are finished with it??

When you get on board, let your cabin steward know you need a "sharps" container. It will be in your cabin later that evening. I've never had any trouble getting one.
They also provide "sharps" containers for the puncture needles used in testing for your insulin level.

Again, just ask the steward, and they will both provide you one and dispose of it properly at the end of the cruise. No hassles.

What do you do with the plastic bottle when you are finished with it??

When we return home we remove the lancets and syringes and place in our home sharps container and dispose of it through the service we have. This way we maintain control of the situation from beginning to end. No risk of someone improperly disposing of them somewhere along the line.

i agree with o previous poster , see the ships medical centre they must have somewhere to dispose of needles as they probably have to give people suffereing from sea sickness a jab now and again, so they must have adequate disposal facilities in the medical centre

linda

i agree with o previous poster , see the ships medical centre they must have somewhere to dispose of needles as they probably have to give people suffereing from sea sickness a jab now and again, so they must have adequate disposal facilities in the medical centre

linda

Just ask your room person for a sharps container and/or bio-hazard kit (A yellow plastic container with an opening on the top,) that all needles and test strips, etc. go in. There is no charge for it and it will last for the whole voyage. As has been said at the end of the voyage the cabin person will also get rid of the used one.

Stay way from the medical center if you can, as they will bill you, if your not careful! :rolleyes: ;)

When we return home we remove the lancets and syringes and place in our home sharps container and dispose of it through the service we have. This way we maintain control of the situation from beginning to end. No risk of someone improperly disposing of them somewhere along the line.

Just take them down to the medical clinic and dispose of them properly instead of carrying them all over the place in an improper container. :rolleyes:

WE FOUND SOME VERY COOL needle disposals that we carry with us. about the size and shape of a deodorant bottle. The needle is actually cut off and drops into the container and the plastic parts can then be thrown away. I'll get the name from my husband if you're interested. WE got them at CVS pharmacy for awhile, but order them on line now.

AZ Lassie

WE FOUND SOME VERY COOL needle disposals that we carry with us. about the size and shape of a deodorant bottle. The needle is actually cut off and drops into the container and the plastic parts can then be thrown away. I'll get the name from my husband if you're interested. WE got them at CVS pharmacy for awhile, but order them on line now.

AZ Lassie

My partner found one of these and loves it. It snips the needle off at the top of the syringe. The needle goes into the container and the syringe can simply be diposed of. He's never gone back to a sharps container since even at home. But, prior to that, Princess provided one upon request to the cabin steward.

I found the info I was looking for about my hubby's needle disposal - it is called a Voyager! Very apt!

The VOYAGER is a transportable diabetic needle disposal system providing a safe, portable, convenient and money-saving disposal unit for all sizes of insulin type diabetic syringes. Use at home or while traveling.

Simply insert the used needle/syringe into the top of the container until it stops. Twist the outside of the maroon colored top in the direction of the arrows. The used needle and a small portion of the syringe barrel are safely separated and contained within the VOYAGER. The remainder of the syringe barrel is safely destroyed and no longer useable preventing harmful accidental needle sticks.

As many have commented above, ask your cabin steward and a yellow container will be in your cabin quickly. It lasts the whole cruise, and my cabin number was written on the outside, as well. Don't know why, but at least they know it was me!

With all due respect, and I mean this sincerely, I would advise people against doing this. Sharps containers are sufficiently thick enough to ensure that needles don't poke through and harm someone else. I don't know that a typical plastic water bottle would be (if you are referring to a water bottle like you buy at a grocery store vs. some kind of thermos type of material).

The reason I say this is that I learned the hard way. I'm a nurse in an ICU and once I injected a patient with insulin and proceeded to replace the cap, which we have always been strongly instructed to NEVER do (all needles are to be put immediately into the sharps container). I don't know why I did that, I never had before, but there were people in the room and I didn't want to accidently stick someone. Well, the needle went straight through the cap and stuck me hard, and those caps appear to be plenty thick and sturdy. I had to go through all kinds of beaurocratic stuff, got tested for HIV three times, etc., etc. I was okay, and suffered no consequences for my foolish action other than a stern talking-to from my nursing supervisor and a couple of doctors who were in the unit that day.

It just seems that since there is such easy access to approved sharps containers (and water bottles are not approved for a reason), that it doesn't make sense to me to do it any other way. I'm sure it has worked out for you as you sound very conscientious, but not everyone is and this could be dangerous (and so should not be encouraged). Just mho and not trying to be rude. I just wouldn't want someone else to go through the worry I experienced for a year when it's just not necessary.

nrdsb4:

Good advice!

However; if one uses the sharps container provided by Princess, you will have no such problems. I recommend it's usage on shipboard.

It's a 'No-Brainer' to obtain this container, as has already been pointed out a few times in this forum. Yes, your cabin number will be marked on the container. ;)

With all due respect, and I mean this sincerely, I would advise people against doing this. Sharps containers are sufficiently thick enough to ensure that needles don't poke through and harm someone else. I don't know that a typical plastic water bottle would be (if you are referring to a water bottle like you buy at a grocery store vs. some kind of thermos type of material).

The reason I say this is that I learned the hard way. I'm a nurse in an ICU and once I injected a patient with insulin and proceeded to replace the cap, which we have always been strongly instructed to NEVER do (all needles are to be put immediately into the sharps container). I don't know why I did that, I never had before, but there were people in the room and I didn't want to accidently stick someone. Well, the needle went straight through the cap and stuck me hard, and those caps appear to be plenty thick and sturdy. I had to go through all kinds of beaurocratic stuff, got tested for HIV three times, etc., etc. I was okay, and suffered no consequences for my foolish action other than a stern talking-to from my nursing supervisor and a couple of doctors who were in the unit that day.

It just seems that since there is such easy access to approved sharps containers (and water bottles are not approved for a reason), that it doesn't make sense to me to do it any other way. I'm sure it has worked out for you as you sound very conscientious, but not everyone is and this could be dangerous (and so should not be encouraged). Just mho and not trying to be rude. I just wouldn't want someone else to go through the worry I experienced for a year when it's just not necessary.

I agree 100%. :)

Archived