Bora Bora Hotel Help

Honeymoon 08

Planning on staying in Bora Bora after my PG tahiti cruise. Any suggestions? Also are the over water bungalows worth it, with all the talk about protective footwear it's starting to scare me.

It depends on how much you want to spend. We loved the overwater bungalow.

The 5 Star resorts on Bora Bora are:

1. Bora Bora Lagoon Resort and Spa

2. Hotel Bora Bora

3. Le Meridien Bora Bora

4. Bora bora Pearl Beach Resort

5. Intercontinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort

6. Bora Bora Lagoon Resort and Spa

7. Bora Bora Nui Resort and Spa

The 5 Star Plus resorts are:

1. St Regis Bora Bora

2. Intercontinental Bora Bora Resort and Thalasso Spa

We have been to the Pearl Beach and the Lagoon Resort. The food was pearl ( although exspensive, as at all of them) at the Pearl.

I hope I was of some help.

Planning on staying in Bora Bora after my PG tahiti cruise. Any suggestions? Also are the over water bungalows worth it, with all the talk about protective footwear it's starting to scare me.

We stayed at the Le Meridien after our cruise, in an overwater bungalow. Complete waste of money. If you want the details, look at my review on Trip Advisor.

Someone who works with my wife just got back from a honeymoon at the BB Pearl -- loved it. Problem is that you will see much of that side of the island from the PG. My recommendation? Stay at the Hotel BB, in a beach front room. The seclusion of the overwater is good. But I have to question if it is worth it, since the lagoon in BB doesn't have that many fish in it for you to ooh and ahh over through the glass in the floor. The fact that the Hotel BB is on the island, and not a motu, is a plus that I would not have thought of until I went.

Hotel BB, BB Pearl and BB Lagoon are all in T+L magazine's World's 500 best. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the three -- just don't make our mistake by going to the LM.

If you have already set your sights on Bora Bora, so be it. These boards have discussed the different islands lots, but for my money, I would be staying in an over-the-water bungalow at the Sofitel on Moorea. Just a thought.

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

Bora Bora is boring. If a stay on Bora Bora is on your "list", then stay in a beach bungalow at the HBB. The bungalows there are casually elegant, the beach is wonderful as is the service, food and gardens.

The island itself is not as lovely as others, is overbuilt and the people not as welcoming as you will find on the other islands. Moorea or Huahine for the experience and beautiful island experinece, Manihi for the fishies!!!

Bora Bora is boring. If a stay on Bora Bora is on your "list", then stay in a beach bungalow at the HBB. The bungalows there are casually elegant, the beach is wonderful as is the service, food and gardens.

The island itself is not as lovely as others, is overbuilt and the people not as welcoming as you will find on the other islands. Moorea or Huahine for the experience and beautiful island experinece, Manihi for the fishies!!!

Let me add my vote for Moorea over BB. All of what is said is true about the "ambience" of BB. You will get two full days there on the PG, and that is probably enough to do and see everything. On Moorea, I don't think you can do or see everything in the two days the PG is there, so there will be much left to discover if you go back. Didn't stay in a hotel in Moorea, but there are some wonderful choices. For me, if I went back, the transportation difference would point me to Moorea. For BB, it is off the PG, taxi over to the a/p, fly to BB. For Moorea, you can walk right off the PG and in five minutes be on the ferry to Moorea. You will probably be in your room before the flight ever takes off. That and the cost difference would point me to Moorea -- our plan for our return trip.

Honeymoon,

My opinion, stay in the hotel precruise. While I loved Le Meridien Bora Bora, and Tikehau Pearl Beach, the service at the resorts will not measure up to the PG. You can go to a resort and rest and recuperate from all your excitement and then be ready to be spoiled on the PG. We are staying at Le Taaha in February just because I always wanted to. Will do a review when we return.

Thanks for articulating my feelings about Bora Bora, Vaitape. Beautiful to look at, especially from the lagoon. Wonderful motus and opportunities for water adventures. The island itself is too touristy, and is the place where you're most likely to get a negative attitude towards tourists. Lovely to float in its lagoon on the PG!

As for service on the islands, if you set your expectations right, you won't be disappointed. The farther you get away from Tahiti, the more "authentic" you get, and the "desert island" is your experience, and the friendlier the people. Service may not be 5-star, but things will be wonderfully laid back, and scenery and water will be wonderful.

Bora can be experienced from the PG as Wendy said......other islands will give you more for less for a land stay. The motu that is provided on Bora by the PG is shared with the BB Pearl though you cannot get to the hotel from the PG-designated beach........never have tried to kayak there (has anyone else?). Guess we never felt the need. The PG experience is AWESOME and the views from the ship and the motu are quite fine.

Egret, You are in for a treat! I don't know why Tahaa doesn't get more recommendations. We loved it and it certainly seemed better that HBB which we visited off the PG. Moorea has more to do but where ever you stay in FP will have to go a long way to beat the food, service, and ambience at Tahaa. Try and get a sunset view owb I think the BB view obws are overrated.

New London,

Thanks for the encouragement, we hope Le Tahaa is special. We are staying in a Beach Bungalow, the OWB are OK but we like to just open the door onto the beach. We also are looking forward to the private plunge pool.

About the service at the resorts. We haven't been treated rudely, but like Hawaii, the service evokes the "hang loose" perspective. Everything in its time and if something is not quite right, well that's ok too. On the PG, they practically fall over them selves trying to help you and cater to you.

We always think the contrast would be more significant with a post cruise stay hence we do pre cruise. We really enjoyed the times we spent at Bora Bora Le Meridien and Tikehau Pearl Beach, don't regret the money one iota.

Honeymoon,

We are staying at Le Taaha in February just because I always wanted to. Will do a review when we return.

If you are in the Taha'a Spa and Resort, you are in for a great treat. It is fabulous.

Honeymoon 08, I agree with the poster who says to do pre rather than post cruise, if possible. I loved our pre-cruise in Moorea, OWB arranged through Regent(Radisson at the time), and got there in no time by ferry upon arrival in Papeete early in the morning. We booked excursions from the hotel, but dinners in town were not up to PG standards (this was 2003, I believe), and very expensive. When possible, if I am extending a cruise, I do the land trip first, just my preference. It is hard to match the expectations of a Regent cruise after you are off the ship, especially in an island paradise where the attitude of the staff is so different!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a deluxe overwater bungalow at the St. Regis and it was divine... almost worth the cost of food. In retrospect, I would have gone with a standard overwater bungalow as opposed to one with a "hot tub" (which was sort of an odd smelling lukewarm water). The staff there are well trained, although perhaps not quite the level of service of other St. Regis'.

Also, I'm not certain about dining on Moorea, but La Villa Mahana (on the main island of BB) served one of the best meals I've ever eaten.

Just adding my 2 cents. 3 years ago we stayed in a OWB at BB Lagoon Resort (we wanted to stay at what was at the time the brand new Sheraton Nui Resort but Radisson didn't offer it) and had no regrets. The fact that we were on an island with a fabulous view of another island and everything just felt so private really added to the romance of our anniversary trip and I would think it would be great for a honeymoon. We had dinner at one of the trendy spots on Bora Bora one night and shared the shuttle back to the dock with Christina Applegate. When we got at the dock the little boat that the BBLR has to ferry you back to the resort was waiting for us. She and her posse started to get on and asked if it was the boat for the Sheraton Nui. The boat captain told her it wasn't and that the Nui boat only ferried back and forth once an hour and had just left - so she would have to wait a while. We were really thrilled with our hotel choice after that. And as far as the OWB goes - it is very cool to roll out of bed in the morning and take a couple of steps and be on your very private deck and then jump in and snorkle right there. Not something we get to do every day in Texas.

Happy marriage!!!

Honeymoon 08. First of all congratulations from one honeymoon couple to the other. Although I can not recommend what is what in the Polynesian Islands I will share with you what we have gobe through on our journey for the most romantic honeymoon ever....

Our original plan was to stay at Bora Bora in the St Regis in their best OWB available for one week. This was going to cost well over 10,000 dollars pushing 15K once all is said and done. I personally could not sit on a beach or anything for a week in one place. So I began searching and since I have cruise a couple of times before I looked into the cruises. Well the Tahitian Princess was the first I found and it doesn't cruise when we wanted to go, however the PG did. When I told my soon to be bride about the cruise (and she has NEVER cruised before) she was very sad as she had her heart set on an OWB. OK now the dilemma, what to do. That was when I started looking at the OWBs on Tahiti at the Intercontinental (formerly known as the Beachcomber). Now there have been very mixed reviews however everyone seems to agree that the OWBs on the lagoon are much better and bigger than the Motu ones. So I made arrangements to stay there three nights, that way we get acclimated to the time change and weather before our cruise, and since we are scuba divers they have a dive shop right there for our use. When I mentioned this to my bride she was a lot happier especially since we were staying in the OWB and still had a beautiful hotel, with a swim up bar, infinity pool and amazing restaurant (or so I have read). Now why here and not on the islands? We are coming in late and didn't want to fly or ferry over to the others, and really I wanted the PG to be our introduction to the islands and not, "oh we were there already...." So this was my reasoning to stay on the island of Tahiti (plus I plan to do some pearl shopping and the prices are supposed to be cheaper on the main island). Now pre or post? Well here is my thinking...we are coming from the east coast and its is about a 12 - 13 hour flight. So I thought it would be a nice way to get used to the time change, and the climate...and maybe even get a dive or two in as well. Then we are off to the PG where we will embark on a trip of a lifetime. From what I have heard, your first visit to the islands is something you will always cherish. If we stayed for a post cruise then it takes away from the PG, so we are heading off the ship and right to the airport.

So there you have it, I am not saying this is the way to go. But for us it accomplished everything my bride wanted and everything I wanted and thus everyone is happy. All I can hope now is that she will love cruising as much as I. If not I am in trouble!!!! :)

I am not sure if this helps or not but I thought I would give you another perspective from another honeymoon couple. I wish nothing but the best now and in the future to the both of you.

Archived