Cruisers Who Walk......

sail7seas

Threadmills boring,Dont walk but I do run.Like to run on the ships but early before it gets crowded.Also many of the islands are fun to run,some not to safe,but thats a different thread. TOM

I agree the treadmill is boring ....That is the reason I asked the question. :)

I needed to get in my walk but didn't feel like pounding the street today, so I just did 50 minutes on the 'mill'. Sure I got my exercise and I had the TV on but it was boooooring!!! I normally walk outside when the weather is at leas decent. And I always walk after dinner with DH but wanted a bit more exercise today.

At home I walk on the treadmill only during bad weather. Otherwise, I walk around the community. I have a path I followed around several blocks, and know exactly how far I have to go for a mile.

Aboard ship I do laps on the Promenade. :) It's wonderful.

Question (trivial question warning!!!! ;) ) ... for those of you who walk on the Promenade deck, do you go clockwise or counterclockwise? :)

Whenever I am on board a ship, I love to walk laps around the deck. On my recent cruise on the Rotterdam for 34 days, I walked every day that we were not in port. I walked on some days when it was raining and windy but I just put on my rain slicker and off I went. I walked 3 miles every day that I walked. At home it is not so easy as we live up ,in the hilly section and it is very difficult to walk. Not as pleasant as walking on the deck, but then , what is? I have a treadmill at home but don't use it too much. I go to Curves and exercise three times a week with my daughter. That is the best that I can do at home. My all time favorite walk is and always will be on the deck of a "dam" ship.

DH uses the treadmill and lifts weights at his athletic club on the weekdays. On the weekends he uses our treadmill at home and watches movies.

I get to use the treadmill on the weekdays.

It's much too hilly where we live to walk - too hard on my knees.

On the ship I love to walk on the promenade deck - keep track of those reading and those who are faking the reading part (sleeping).

On the ship husband uses treadmill and lifts weights.

On shore, we try to walk as much as possible.

Question (trivial question warning!!!! ;) ) ... for those of you who walk on the Promenade deck, do you go clockwise or counterclockwise? :)
Doesn't that depend upon whether you're north or south of the equator?:rolleyes: ;)

Reference clockwise versus counter-clockwise, passenger load may make a difference.

In the US, we tend to walk (and race) counter-clockwise, but the Brits, and many of their former Empire (now Commonwealth) countries walk and race clockwise.

Michael

Since running tracks the world over are set up for counterclockwise races, it just seems natural to anyone that has ever run to take off in a counterclockwise direction. I think, on every ship I've been on, almost everyone has walked or jogged in thr CCW direction. Try going the other way and you'll most likely be run over by the thundering herd.

On the ship I do both, DH only does the Promenade Deck with me. On the ship I will get up early hit the gym by 6:30 while DH likes to go up to the Crow's Nest.

At home because of time restraints and Hot Temps I only do the Treadmill. I works 6 days a week and I am on the treadmill 7 days a week early in the morning. I can get more walking time in with the treadmill than going outside, I would like to walk in the evening but it stays hot here fairly late plus DH goes to bed early since he gets up at 3 am to be at work by 4 so he retires early in the evening.

I just prefer the treadmil because 1, I can do what type of work out I want, 2. I use a MP3 player and listen to music. I have selected good walking and running music so I usually don't get bored. 3. I do not have to worry about how I look and what neighbor I run into that wants to talk. ( I am usually not very presentable in the morning before I shower):eek: Which is also why I walk early in the morning on the ship, not as many people out and about. Except for the morning I ran into the Capt. while I was going up the Forward Stairs to the gym. He said something about me going to do my morning workout. I would of stopped to talk but I knew I looked like I just crawled out of bed (which I had:o )

Treadmill. It's easier to keep to a steady pace, and to keep track of mileage. I have a tendancy to take off in a burst, and then slow down as energy wanes. The treadmill forces the correct pace. And it can be done in all kinds of weather!

HAL has thoughtfully placed the treadmills so you can watch the sea while you walk.

memo to self: get home treadmill fixed or replaced!

Usually do the treadmill at the gym , because I am there already and it is convenient. But it is boring

Normally in good weather I like taking a nice walk. On a ship I don't even bother with the treadmill because exploring the ship is plenty of excercise. I enjoy walking the promenade deck, but actually all over the ship, inside and out. Great excercise and you get to discover all the great little nooks and crannies onboard

Always counter clockwise. Do you pass slower walkers on the left or right? When the deck is wet do you leave more room for stopping? If someone is headed straight towards you would you go left or right ? I won't get into the area of WWI...................

Do you pass slower walkers on the left or right? When the deck is wet do you leave more room for stopping? If someone is headed straight towards you would you go left or right ? I won't get into the area of WWI...................
I would think the traffic laws of the walker's home country would influence this. As an American, I tend to pass to the left and stay right of approaching people. Brits probably would stay left and pass right. Of course, the little dance when the two approach each other is always fun.... first both go one way, then the other, then pause and try to anticipate the next move....:D

Prefer to walk at home - not only is it more scenic, but certain hills give a good workout! Sometimes I even walk home from the office (@ 30-35 minute walk) especially after having a bad day - its a good way to unwind.

Treadmills are BOOOOOORINNG!

Thanks for all your responses. I agree with all of you....just different ones at different times.

When I want a steady pace and want to adjust incline, I use our treadmill. If I had to head off to a gym to do it, I know I wouldn't. So, it's good we have one in the house.

But I do prefer walking outside as long as the weather cooperates. I don't mind too much if it is very cold, but the heat is harder IMO If there is ice on the ground....no way I'll walk on that and risk falling.

I get a better workout on the mill......so I guess a combo is best.

Archived