Elite mini bar swap out?

sonomaphil

Friends of ours are newly Elite and asked me a question about the mini bar set up. They only drink beer and wine so the liquor is kind of useless for them. Can they "swap out" the mini bottles for cans of beer or those small bottles of wine they serve at the pool? Who can you call to do this?

As the others have said, just ask. I had all of my sodas swapped out for Diet Coke and then when I got sick, I had the remainder swapped out for ginger ale. I didn't swap out the liquor; I packed up all those little bottles and brought them home with me. Now, if someone wants a drink and I don't have a bottle, I can pull out the little bottles.

Friends of ours are newly Elite and asked me a question about the mini bar set up. They only drink beer and wine so the liquor is kind of useless for them. Can they "swap out" the mini bottles for cans of beer or those small bottles of wine they serve at the pool? Who can you call to do this?

Room service generally will swap the mini bar for anything including bottled water. We were on one ship, sorry can't remember which, and the Captain's Circle Hostess had to arrange to swap the mini bar out.

Depending on the ship you have to be very insistant when asking them to switch it out. :)

They will say no but you have to remind them that there c r e d o says never tell the passenger no. ;)

It has about an $85 value.

We got 2 rum and coke packages last month, that was perfect for me.:D

Not only does each ship seem to have a different policy on this but we have had different experiences on the same ship on different cruises! Sometimes it was a breeze to exchange for what we wanted and other times it was a total joke. For example, on the Island Princess they allowed us to exchange the hard liquor for those little bottles of wine, a few months later they absolutely refused and acted like we were out of minds to suggest it. Another time on the Sea Princess the Captain's Circle Rep got involved. She was so embarrassed with how the situation was handled that she very nicely sent us a bottle of wine. This is one of those minor silly things that should have some kind of consistent company-wide policy.

What is the charge for the bottled water, sodas, wine and the hard liquor bottles?

Last year on the X Millennium, we had them take everything out of the mini fridge so we could put the coke and wine we carried on board in it.

What is the charge for the bottled water, sodas, wine and the hard liquor bottles?

Last year on the X Millennium, we had them take everything out of the mini fridge so we could put the coke and wine we carried on board in it.

Last I knew the soda in cans was $1.50 + 15%. Wine runs from about $19/bottle + 15% and up and up and up. Bottled water depends on the size bottle.

They do not put any of the Mini bar in the fridge they just put it on a tray on the counter above it. They do not put a mini bar in the room unless you are in a suite or Elite.

The original query was about switching liquor to beer or wine. Sure they'll give you soda and water for the booze, but what about booze to beer? Have never tried it. Good thought. We'll try it next time. Haven't seen those little wine bottles in several years.

Pia

In the past, our room steward switched out for our choices in booze (even the bottled water was switch for booze) we had all in booze and used the OJ etc. from the buffet for mixers........ (Beer switching was no problem, (for a room party) - although personally we prefer vodka or scotch to beer)

Lately - Princess seems to have more strigent rules for the room stewards and we have been denied the water to booze switch ;) ......but had no problem with different kinds of booze and even the soda to booze.........

The last time we sailed - it was only booze to booze and soda to soda - our steward said his 'stuff' was counted and he couldn't do any more......(we tip extra before sailing and usually get very good service :rolleyes: )

I believe it is really up to the room steward - sometimes we were referred to food and beverage dept. but ultimely the room steward switched things for us.............

Now, I think Princess has cracked down on those little bottles going 'astray'...........;) JMHO Renee (aka GotToCruuise)

We were on the CB last week and they switched out the elite bar set up liquor bottles since we drink wine and they gave us 18 cans of pop our choice. We picked Sprite and Fanta Orange. We called room service and it was done in a couple of hours.

So it's liquor for soda or liquor for liquor but no liquor for wine?

But it might be liquor for beer. You can ask about that.

Pia

I'll take that! :D

Though I must admit the "little bottle pool wine" is crappy Sutter Home. An entire full 750ml bottle is only $4.99 for this juice retail. And they can't swap a 175ml Gordan's Gin for this that retails for $2.00? OK, whatever! :D

Archived