Bad Passenger Habits

For those of you who stress about servers washing hands, or passengers who don't wash their hands or germs being spread through tongs or whatever...

First off, understand this... I AM NOT DEBATING THAT GERMS CAN BE TRANSFERRED BY THESE MEANS!!!!!

But my advice to you if it really bothers you is this:

1. NEVER, EVER eat out again... don't eat anything you have not personally prepared yourself... This means you will no longer be able to cruise or take any kind of vacation that does not allow you to prepare your own food... stay out of restaurants and start producing your own food... get a cow and grow some veggies... think about how many people touch the produce you buy in a supermarket;)

2. DO NOT travel to Africa, India, Asia, etc... stay in the continental US for the rest of your life.

Folks, our country is definitely in the minority when it comes to practicing sanitation as it pertains to food... Most countries don't have any rules about this sort of thing and those from other cultures aren't always hip to our food sanitation expectations...

Thank you for your comments.

As to point 2, having spent time in the countries or continents you name, yes the hygiene standards are far below the wests.

How do you feel about the cruise line's recruiting wait and kitchen staff from these area's.

Having watched a number of under cover behind the scene,s programes about "crimes in restuarants kitchens", over the last few yrs when staying in the US, I see what you mean about eating out.

There is also an argument that because of the over zealous way we sanatise in the west today that we have destroyed are own natural defences.

I still though, prefer people to was their hands after leaving the loo, that they do not handle any food that I may eat, that they do not lick the icecream I may eat, or as I have seen pick their noses whilst in the line for the buffet before using the implements that I am going to use.

After all we do come from the west and our standards supposed to be higher?

Your comments. Regards, PS as to farting in the lift's I have an open mind.

merion mom...."human soup"....very funny

i know DW and i never marinate in the human soup!! and we only eat at the "hog trough" if the main dining room is closed.

standby....interesting comments....we live on a farm and work with our horses and hogs and i work as a painter in some of the worst rentals you can imagine and have never worried about compromised natural defenses..... i have , however, always known to keep my hands off my face and wash them often. you would be amazed to be in public and just watch people and notice how often people do contact their eyes and nose, regardless of where their hands have been.

You know, if you see this kind of behaviour, you should call them on it. If someone was in front of me at the hog trough and stuck their finger in the various offerings I do believe I would say, loud enough for everyone to hear, "What the hell are you doing?" Get everybody's attention and just embarrass the sh** out of them. Maybe next time they will think twice about doing something as stupid at this. Of course, raise a stink about it to the staff until the food item(s) is/are replaced.

Bad thing is..most folks don't have the rancho nuevos to do this, so the bad actors continue to be bad. A lot of people just ain't got no proper fetchin' up.

I'd continue, but most of you nice people would consider me raving on the subject, and I don't need any negative bangs..

You know, if you see this kind of behaviour, you should call them on it. If someone was in front of me at the hog trough and stuck their finger in the various offerings I do believe I would say, loud enough for everyone to hear, "What the hell are you doing?" Get everybody's attention and just embarrass the sh** out of them. Maybe next time they will think twice about doing something as stupid at this. Of course, raise a stink about it to the staff until the food item(s) is/are replaced.

Bad thing is..most folks don't have the rancho nuevos to do this, so the bad actors continue to be bad. A lot of people just ain't got no proper fetchin' up.

I'd continue, but most of you nice people would consider me raving on the subject, and I don't need any negative bangs..

This is a wonderful idea. I'm usually so dumbfounded, when witnessing gross behavior, I'm speechless.

I will speak up!

Human soup?

I love the hot tubs!!:eek:

What do you call the pool?

(never mind, otherwise I will probably be stuck in my room all cruise lounging on the "clean couch", I leave in a few days and I will have so many phobias:D )

PS: Don't you like the people that blow the whistles on the life jackets? cracks me up--newbies

I agree with all of this. I also am annoyed when servers wear gloves, but use them like hands. The purpose of gloves is to throw them away after you sneeze, touch your hair, touch money...clean up something, etc. Too many people just keep on working!

This is really funny, i have said this for a very long time. If someone is gonna scratch there a**, there gonna scratch there a**, gloves or not. The only sense of cleanliness that gloves are guaranteed to provide is that of the false sense. but, if that makes you happy, to each there own i guess....:p

Never do the self serve icee thing either. In a convenience store, I saw a girl who looked about ten yo pass the machine, ran her tongue out and got the gob that was hanging on the dispenser. couldn't let that free bite go to waste!! I work for a pharm. co. and they have turned us all into germophobes. It's disgusting what all is out there and how people never think about surfaces that they touch with their bare hands. either wash your hands or use hand sanitizer a gazillion times a day.

I agree..call them on it. I certainly would and would immediately get a crew member to remove the item from the buffet area.:eek:

Lack of manners just goes along with the continuing decay of common decency in this world of ours.:(

As another poster pointed out it makes one wonder who raised these people.:confused: And what is even sadder is that they will surely pass their lack of manners on to their offspring.:( And so the cycle will continue.

I think elevator farting is fair.......payback to those people that charge on while you are trying to get off because they don't know to wait until it empties.

I HATE when people do that. How hard is it to wait the 3 seconds for me to walk off??

No problem... just a friendly little reminder from Reality! Our food is handled and processed by so many people and chemicals in this day and age that quite frankly, bare-handed servers and passengers is the least of our worries:)

I think we all know this and the thread is more about the grossness of it more then no one is cruising because of it. We pick up germs everywhere. They say the bottom of a womens pocket purse has more germs then just about any thing in our home. :D

Human soup?

I love the hot tubs!!:eek:

What do you call the pool?

What is up with these people who wear their "crocks" into the pools and hot tub????????

I was sitting in the hot tub and this lady walks up the steps and into the hot tub with her crocks on, and I promptly stood up and got out. I have since noticed others doing it and also sitting around the edge of the pool with their feet (and crocks/thongs) in the water. :(

On a cruise to Hawaii, we were in the hot tub and noticed someones hair extension floating in the tub. I almost rolfed and that was the last time I ever got in a public hot tub.

We bought a hot tub two years ago and since having it, I will NEVER, EVER go into a public hot tub again.

Knowing what I have to do to keep a five person tub clean and sanitized, I'd never step foot into another one on a cruise ship.

merion mom...."human soup"....very funny

i know DW and i never marinate in the human soup!! and we only eat at the "hog trough" if the main dining room is closed.

Where is my mind? I read this as "i know dw and i never urinate in the human soup!

I about fell off of my chair!

Obviously the next person in line gets to fish out the tongs. With all the concern about viruses, shouldn't this be a concern???

I'll bet a lot of people never thought it all the way through. I consider myself a courteous person and on a cruise I'm in such a good mood I'm going out of my way to be courteous. Now I wonder if I've ever done just what you said. You can be sure I won't in the future. Sometimes common sense isn't that obvious.

Also how many do you see filling water bottles from the wter fountains many many people. Thye do not realise that they have had their mouths round the neck of the bottle so all their germs go on the water fountain.

If you drink from the stream and not the bowl, why should that matter? as long as you bottle is catching the water in mid stream.

I wish they would raise the prices and hire people to serve the food in the Windjammer.

###

The price of the labor might be offset by portion control. At the very leasts they should, and perhaps do? start this at any sign of an outbreak.

If they had crew to serve then they would not have to raise the prices as it would save on all that waste that passengers pile on their plates. Last week on the Navigator they had saucers to place the tongs on for each item. Some guests still could not figure it out.

Retracable chains tied to the tongs, like the pens at the bank. :D

No problem... just a friendly little reminder from Reality! Our food is handled and processed by so many people and chemicals in this day and age that quite frankly, bare-handed servers and passengers is the least of our worries:)

There is some merit to what you said, our bodies build on some tolerances and I'm certainly not squeamish about buffets or hot tubs. As long as people show some sign of decency, but on a cruise ship if an outbreak occurs its time for everyone to elevate their sanitary regime. I'm not avoiding buffets, but if I saw some of the stuff people have mentioned I would pull the stuff off the line.

i laughed when the earlier poster called the buffet the hog trough (we raise hogs) and remembered the time on ship when i heard someone call the hot tub "bacteria stew"!

Now that is ignorant of that person. As moderator of whatsthebest-hot tub.com I can tell you the hot tubs on the RCI ships I have been on aren't full of living bacteria. Though I might carry some Dichlor with me on Freedom :)

ou would be amazed to be in public and just watch people and notice how often people do contact their eyes and nose, regardless of where their hands have been.

Eating extra hot Buffalo wings will cure you of that habit!

Great thread people.

Now THATS scarey!! Thank goodness I wake up early and get to the Windjammer before all the hoards of cruisers wake up!!!

we do the same thing' date='and we eat before anyone else is up, around 5:00am,its so nice and quiet and peaceful, it is my favorite time of the day, i like to see the ships come into port too:))))[/color']

People walking and not looking where they are going. Both ways!

The "gee was I taking up two seats at this 3 card poker table look?" And "did you "really" want to sit here??"

The push/shove/sidestep the old lady/man on a cane/walker into the elevator ploy! Followed closely by the I'm/we're not waiting on any line to get on any elevator upon arriving back aboard after a shore excursion two step.

The gee it's only 7:10 PM hon' lets see if we can still get in the DR for our 6 PM dinner? (or any other time after 15 minutes).

The gee we are only 2 pepole in the crowded WJ and looky there's a table for two by the window all the way over there.... but looky there babe, there's a table for 6 right there let's take that one instead! The heck with that family of 6 that's looking for a big table!

For the record saw all of this and more on my recent 12 EOS So Carib! The last one with a short sprint to the 6 table by the hubby!

Archived