A Poll on Baked Alaska

Susan-M

Your opinion on Baked Alaska:  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on Baked Alaska:

• I enjoy eating Baked Alaska on Celebrity cruises.
    • I don't like Baked Alaska & would rather have a choice of desserts.

We actually like the Baked Alaska and the parade, but you certainly can have other desserts if you like! There are other choices on the menu, just tell your waiter if you'd like something else.

We requested the petit fours to nibble on in addition to the Baked Alaska and it was brought out no problem.

There are other choices on the menu, just tell your waiter if you'd like something else.

I've always made a special request for something else, but is there a dessert menu that night? Someone posted on the lobster thread that on Summit, in Sept., Baked Alaska was the only dessert offered that night.

I know I could just google it, but what is baked Alaska? I am not a big dessert eater, so I usually skip dessert, have sorbet, or ask if some berries are available. I have seen baked Alaska on the menus, but never took a close look at it. What exactly is it? Thanks.

what is baked Alaska?

White cake, covered with ice cream, covered with meringue, baked until the meringue browns and served quickly while the ice cream is soft but not melted. I think Celebrity uses chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream. It's a tradition on the last formal night to have a parade with wait staff carrying Baked Alaska with sparklers on them into the dining room, while the guests wave their napkins in the air. It's served to everyone, except those who decline it.

It's like a pastry shell filled with neapolitan ice cream and whipped cream and chocolate sauce- delicious!

Susan, they must have missed it, because at the bottom of the menu where desserts usually are, Baked Alaska is given pride of place but there are several other desserts listed. I wasn't sure what Baked Alaska was at that point so I wanted to make sure I had a fallback option!

I've always made a special request for something else, but is there a dessert menu that night?

Yes ,there is. It's on it's usual place on the menu, but they don't come to show you the plate with the available choice, as they do on the other nights after the entrées. I guess it's to hectic for them, since they have to get ready for the parade. That's why they try to convince you to go for the baked alaska.;)

We already make our choice when we receive the menu (last time I had the bittersweet chocolate cake, with whipped cream).

Call me crazy, but I love it. On the only cruises we've been on (both Carnival) they do it the same way and don't offer you anything else (unless you request). Well, I look forward to having it.

I could do without the lobster tho. Heck, we live in Montana and can do better than those frozen tails.

I'm not a big ice cream fan, but have to have a small piece of the

Baked Alaska.

And I love the parade. It goes toward making the last formal night something special. On Celebrity Constellation the waiters all carried

lighters instead of having sparklers. But the guests all waved their napkins and were in high spirits. A very festive ending to the cruise.

I think of it as a part of the grand tradition of sailing. Something you don't always do at home, but you get pampered and treated special on a cruise.

Yechhhhhhhhhhh! I take one polite little bite of the chocolate layer, and give my baked alaska to my husband. (He LOVES baked alaska!) At least that's one night on the cruise that I consume maybe 300 LESS calories than other nights!:D

I like baked Alaska! I like good old Ice cream and cake, and the baked Alaska is the closest thing they serve to that - most of the cakes are fancy chocolate desserts and not plain old cake!

The whole parade does seem a bit corny. I guess this is one of those things that is fantastic the first time you see it but then gets a bit corny as your cruise count goes up. I'll agree with another poster though - the waiters do seem to be quite proud of the show.

Archived