A Poll on Baked Alaska

Susan-M

Your opinion on Baked Alaska:  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on Baked Alaska:

• I enjoy eating Baked Alaska on Celebrity cruises.
    • I don't like Baked Alaska & would rather have a choice of desserts.

I don't eat it... not just because I don't like it, but also because we leave before the parade begins. We don't sneak out, we tell our waiter and asst. waiter at the beginning of the meal that we won't be staying for the parade/dessert. As someone said, the first few times it was great... now, not so much.

I don't mind the Baked Alaska, but I do mind the napkin waving. If the ships are trying to control noro-virus...then waving a used napkin in the air, can't be the most prudent thing to do. Clapping and cheering your waiter and asst. waiter is enough.

If the ships are trying to control noro-virus...then waving a used napkin in the air, can't be the most prudent thing to do. Clapping and cheering your waiter and asst. waiter is enough.

There was a very heated discussion about this a while back :eek: which is why I decided not to include "napkin waving" in my poll question. I do agree that clapping and cheering sounds like a nice alternative.

Just as i said in the Lobster thread. Baked Alaska is nothing more to me than birthday cake and ice cream (it has some merengue too, yay), once a year is enough...But the depressing part is its not "real" birthday cake, there are no presents :(

Happy Cruising!

On "Alaska" night, I have found that there are seldom dessert options other than the selection of small candies/pastries that are put on the table.

We also tell our waiter that we will skip the parade and head out prior to the most tasteless dessert available on any evening. By this stage of the cruise, I have amassed all my allotted calories (and then some;)).

On "Alaska" night, I have found that there are seldom dessert options other than the selection of small candies/pastries that are put on the table.

Yes, there are. Does anybody have a menu for last formal night handy? They list baked Alaska among other desserts on the menu. They just don't specifically offer the other desserts or bring around the tray to show them to you unless you ask. They try very, very hard to force the baked Alaska on you, whether you want it or not! :p

We also tell our waiter that we will skip the parade and head out prior to the most tasteless dessert available on any evening. By this stage of the cruise, I have amassed all my allotted calories (and then some;)).

Great heads up on telling the waiter. The first time we decided to "discretely" bow out before show time, we neglected to tell our waiter. Well, it seems both of his large tables skipped out, leaving him to strut his stuff without his own cheering squad. :(

We felt so bad for him. The Baked Alaska...not so much :rolleyes:

I don't think the wait staff are "proud" to be in the Baked Alaska parade. They do it twice at the end of a long hard day, week after week after week. I can't help but think it is something demeaning for them. I would much rather the parade is skipped (along with the Baked Alaska - yuck!), but that the kitchen and dining room staff still be given their usual accolades by the Cruise Director, and the passengers be given the opportunity to applaud and cheer them.

I don't think the wait staff are "proud" to be in the Baked Alaska parade. They do it twice at the end of a long hard day, week after week after week.

The staff works way too hard to have to do this at the end of a long shift. The whole thing is lame, I think.

Personally I have seen enough Baked Alaska Parades, but as first time cruisers always love it, I don't think Celebrity should do away with it. Just because we have all become spoiled rotten, doesn't mean we should set the tone - which we do too ofter around here anyway, complaining about all sorts of things that you don't even notice until you've cruised 5+ times...

Best Regards,

Floris

The baked alaska parade still gets me bawling (unless it's the first week of a b2b cruise:o ).

The hardest part is when everybody sings "Auld Lang Syne"... or, as my kids used to say: "Old Lang's EYE".

And so that EVERYONE can now join in and sing ALL the right words, here are the true Scots Lyrics and meaning :)

And Usha..makes me start howling too;)

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And auld lang syne?

CHORUS:

For auld lang syne, my dear,

For auld lang syne,

We'll tak a cup of kindness yet,

For auld lang syne!

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp,

And surely I'll be mine,

And we'll tak a cup o kindness yet,

For auld lang syne!

We twa hae run about the braes,

And pou'd the gowans fine,

But we've wander'd monie a weary fit,

Sin auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl'd in the burn

Frae morning sun till dine,

But seas between us braid hae roar'd

Sin auld lang syne.

And there's a hand my trusty fiere,

And gie's a hand o thine,

And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught,

For auld lang syne

Meanings</STRONG>

auld lang syne - times gone by

be - pay for

braes - hills

braid - broad

burn - stream

dine - dinner time

fiere - friend

fit - foot

gowans - daisies

guid-willie waught - goodwill drink

monie - many

morning sun - noon

paidl't - paddled

pint-stowp - pint tankard

pou'd - pulled

twa - two

OK, so the parade is corny and the baked Alaska half the time is soupy when it arrives.

But it is a tradition of the sea, held over from the great liners of yesteryear. I have sailed on six or more different lines, and they all do it.

To walk out on it is to turn away from a celebration of the finale of a great cruise. I know I would miss it if they did away with it.

And yes, it is a chore for the wait staff, but a couple have assured me that they do enjoy it too.

The one time it seemed a bit odd -- formal night occurred not on the last night but the second to last, and Auld Lang Syne was a little premature.

love

joan

The one time it seemed a bit odd -- formal night occurred not on the last night but the second to last, and Auld Lang Syne was a little premature.

love

joan

Joan,

On Celebrity, at least, I thought the last formal night never occurred on the last night of the cruise.

Dave

OK, I knew what I was saying, just didn't write it right.

Of course formal night and the parade usually are on next to last night. but on the Zenith last year, it was second to last night. Go figure.

Incidentally I think the best Parade I ever saw was on a Carnival ship years ago. Real excitement, drama, showmanship.

love

joan

RCCL also has a parade and napkin waving. The waiters used to put the lighted baked Alaskas on their heads till one fell off and started a small fire in the dining room.

For me dessert is usually a no-no due to diabetes, but if I have any it's GOT to be chocolate. There has always been a dessert menu every night on all of our 7 cruises. Last cruise, the waiters put a large platter of BA on the table for all of us, but I asked for a menu. The waiter was surprised I didn't want the BA, but brought me something better. Baked Alaska was my mom's "company" dessert and even then I didn't like it much.

Of course formal night and the parade usually are on next to last night. but on the Zenith last year, it was second to last night.

Hi Joan,

I'm still confused about which night BA was on Zenith...I thought 'next to the last' and 'second to the last' meant the same but now I'm not sure?

Interesting to note that the percentage in favour of BA, and not in favour has stayed the same each day since the poll started ... always at 1/3 vs. 2/3.

p.s. that was post #3000 for me ... and on such a profound topic.:)

To me it just prolongs the entire evening....& stresses out the waitstaff having to get the meal served in time. All for a dessert I am not fond of. The parade makes more work for the staff who I imagine really don't like to sing. If they eliminate it, I promise to give the same tips....

Another similar tradition is the endless singing for birthdays & anniversaries. Although we mostly cruise on b-day & anniversaries I do not need the singing. Why don't they do them all in one night--sing once & everbody can join in & eat cake!

As to the staff being stressed, I really disagree. My husband and I had early dinner on the Galaxy in February, and we were walking around in the photo area just before the late seating diners were being treated to the parade.

The waiters were all laughing and singing along with the music wafting upstairs from the Martini Bar. We got a few pictures of them having a blast and singing La Bamba while they waited to go into the dining room.

Doesn't sound to me like an event the waiters dread or get stressed by! I think they're proud of the work they do (on the whole) and enjoy the parade.

You are correct, after working onboard for Celebrity for 3+ years the majority don't like it and the AV staff that have to get the mic ready for the CD in between shows don't like it either, in the end its just more work in an already packed 14 hour day.

Archived