What did you ask your butler to do for you?

WinnieinWA

Loved the experience so much we got the lowest cabin we could get WITH BUTLER for our next cruise.

Here's how I explained what our butler did on our last cruise:

What did the butler do- oh my, all those things I had no idea I wanted, but now will have a problem living without. Super-sized mimosas (you buy your champagne and have him put it in his pantry) as soon as I was out of the hot tub every morning, extra fast pressing service when a dress got missed, little side tables found and brought to the balcony (10 min) when I mentioned it would be nice to have them. Spot checks on our travel companions and coordination with their steward so I wouldn't have problems. Help with my shopping one day when he was on his off time.

Served a 6:30 breakfast before an early shore excursion, Served a full course meal - steak & lobsters- on formal night. (This was the night my husband tried the 2nd shower and commented that there was a valve problem. In between serving our meal, our butler found and supervised the plumber and a new valve had been installed before we got to our dessert.)

Got the exact type of milk we wanted into the fridge in that first hour so we would have it next morning. Kept the espresso machine cleaned and operating. Got the towel I had forgotten to pick up before I got in the hot tub - I didn't ask, he just saw it was missing and knew I'd want it.

Brought us gluten-free snacks and asked that everything brought to the room was gluten-free. Ran down to the bar for that extra bottle of wine I needed... and the champagne.

If my hands were full he either carried or opened the doors, depending on what worked. I'm sure there was more. In short, if there was anything big or small within the courtyard or room that could make our cruise more pleasant, he did it or found someone to handle it.

=======

I was a very happy camper!

Organized a full cocktail party for 20 people in our suite, made sure room stewart brought extra chairs for balcony, made a list and brought mixers for our bar set-up plus a huge tray of hors d'oeuvre including shrimp and caviar (didn't ask for either or pay extra for them). We needed a pitcher to mix a special drink from our bar set-up, brought us two. Room service anytime day or night. Just about anything you can think of they will do for you---even unpack your suitcase (no I didn't have him do that, but he would of.) We were on NCL Sun Oct. in a Penthouse suite aft.

We have had Butlers 4 times now and can't seem to go back to regular cabins. If you use them it's worth it, but if you don't think you will use their services book a less expensive cabin.

My DH spends alot of time in our suite and that's one reason we get larger cabins and the Butler's just comes with it.:D

Retiredonthesea

Happy Cruising:)

Ohhh..I'm so gonna love having an OS to Alaska in August. This is a gift to my daughter, 2 sons and their 3 spouses. It may very well be the last time we will all have the opportunity to be together. I'm spending a lot of $$ on this but it's their inheritance! LOL We are so excited you can't imagine. I will most definitaly have breakfst served at least one morning. Woo Hoo :)

Ohhh..I'm so gonna love having an OS to Alaska in August. This is a gift to my daughter, 2 sons and their 3 spouses. It may very well be the last time we will all have the opportunity to be together. I'm spending a lot of $$ on this but it's their inheritance! LOL We are so excited you can't imagine. I will most definitaly have breakfst served at least one morning. Woo Hoo :)

YES! You will have a wonderful time. We've been on Regent, Oceania, Cunard, Holland America, but none have made us feel as special as Ryan and NCL.

Loved the experience so much we got the lowest cabin we could get WITH BUTLER for our next cruise.

Here's how I explained what our butler did on our last cruise:

What did the butler do- oh my, all those things I had no idea I wanted, but now will have a problem living without. Super-sized mimosas (you buy your champagne and have him put it in his pantry) as soon as I was out of the hot tub every morning, extra fast pressing service when a dress got missed, little side tables found and brought to the balcony (10 min) when I mentioned it would be nice to have them. Spot checks on our travel companions and coordination with their steward so I wouldn't have problems. Help with my shopping one day when he was on his off time.

Served a 6:30 breakfast before an early shore excursion, Served a full course meal - steak & lobsters- on formal night. (This was the night my husband tried the 2nd shower and commented that there was a valve problem. In between serving our meal, our butler found and supervised the plumber and a new valve had been installed before we got to our dessert.)

Got the exact type of milk we wanted into the fridge in that first hour so we would have it next morning. Kept the espresso machine cleaned and operating. Got the towel I had forgotten to pick up before I got in the hot tub - I didn't ask, he just saw it was missing and knew I'd want it.

Brought us gluten-free snacks and asked that everything brought to the room was gluten-free. Ran down to the bar for that extra bottle of wine I needed... and the champagne.

If my hands were full he either carried or opened the doors, depending on what worked. I'm sure there was more. In short, if there was anything big or small within the courtyard or room that could make our cruise more pleasant, he did it or found someone to handle it.

=======

I was a very happy camper!

Do you know if Carnival has butler service?

So was he watching you in the Hot Tub?

:D Yep, putting his eyeballs at great risk, he'd lean out from the pantry or glance over if he was in the Courtyard and see if I had everything I needed, say Good Morning and be sure I had time for a SuperSize Mimosa or Bellini before we left the ship each day.

Which cruise line was this?

Norwegian Cruise Lines - any of the "Gem Stone" Ships have the little "Ship within a Ship" that gives a wonderful blend of the large and small.

(And when I was in that hot tub, I was the only one in the hot tub.)

we did one ncl cruise, absolutely hated it. every thing was horrible. we would not take a ncl cruise for free, even if it came with 2 butlers. we have a total of 43 cruises and am sorry to say one of them is on ncl...

Boy, I hear you! I did my first (and last) NCL cruise in 1996 and hated it. I swore never again and meant it - for five years. We went on to other lines, Cunard, Renaissance, then Oceania, Celebrity and many more (29). Then we wanted to cruise Hawaii and NCL came up again. My response was, "well, we can get food at every port like last time." Decided it was just transportation, not a cruise.

What a nice surprise we had. We called it the "poor man's Oceania" and loved the laid back atmosphere and okay food, well priced wine. We were always able to find a couple great servers and went back to them often.

We've done 5 or 6 NCL cruises now. We take them for what they are and we enjoy them. Then this last one we do an A3 just 3 months after the Paul Gauguin. Who knew I would be saying that we enjoyed NCL every bit as much and in some areas, even more.

When we added up all our "a la carte" totals we came out a whole lot cheaper than the "all inclusive" and we had the special "one of a hundred' service rather than being "one of three hundred."

On the PG, the executive chef knew what I was having for dinner every night. On NCL, I had to visit with a different chef at each restaurant, still not bad.

we did one ncl cruise, absolutely hated it. every thing was horrible. we would not take a ncl cruise for free, even if it came with 2 butlers. we have a total of 43 cruises and am sorry to say one of them is on ncl...

I did not ask anyone to tell me of their general experiences on NCL and I certainly did not ask for a rant! :mad: :mad: My question was about butler service.

Please don't hijack my thread with your nonsense! If you have nothing to offer as an answer to a cruise question you should not post to that thread at all! IMO that is rude and I'm so very happy you do not cruise NCL. I'd hate to have you on my wonderful next cruise on NCL.

I did not ask anyone to tell me of their general experiences on NCL and I certainly did not ask for a rant! :mad: :mad: My question was about butler service.

Please don't hijack my thread with your nonsense! If you have nothing to offer as an answer to a cruise question you should not post to that thread at all! IMO that is rude and I'm so very happy you do not cruise NCL. I'd hate to have you on my wonderful next cruise on NCL.

You are absolutely right, Winnie. This does look like an unusual dig. I didn't think much about the comment before I answered. After reading your comment, I went back and did some reading up on Mr Phish and realized he does take several opportunities to take jabs at NCL in very inappropriate ways - strange for someone who has only had one NCL cruise on the Norway. Anyway, I hope I didn't contribute to the hijack.

To get back on track, yes, butler service is wonderful and NCL butlers can make a cruise a dream.:)

You are absolutely right, Winnie. This does look like an unusual dig. I didn't think much about the comment before I answered. After reading your comment, I went back and did some reading up on Mr Phish and realized he does take several opportunities to take jabs at NCL in very inappropriate ways - strange for someone who has only had one NCL cruise on the Norway. Anyway, I hope I didn't contribute to the hijack.

To get back on track, yes, butler service is wonderful and NCL butlers can make a cruise a dream.:)

My first cruise was on SS Norway in 2001. It was the vacation of a lifetime for me and my college age son for our first Christmas after my husband died. It was a dream and we loved every second of it in our inside cabin that hummed with the engines to lul us to sleep at night. This August I'm taking my adult kids and their spouses on NCL to Alaska and I got an Owners suite. I am a retired farmer and I really wanted to know about the butler.......having never been waited on in my life!

No, you didn't hijack my thread and thanks for the info.:)

Happy Holidays!

Winnie <------> packing for my cruise on NCL Dawn in a week! Woo Hoo!

Winnie---Go enjoy the Owners Suite and let them treat you like a Queen. Like you my DH and I are also retired Farmer/ranchers. Now it's our turn for a little service and pampering.:D I still rather have two Butlers then a free cruise! HA HA

We are taking our sons and DILs, grandchildren (2 girls) and MIL on NCL Star next month to Mexican Riviera, can't wait.

Happy Cruising:D :D

Retiredonthesea

So...if you were ever lucky enough to have a suite what did you ask of him/her?

We had a butler on a NCL cruise. There was absolutely nothing that we asked of him.....we loved the idea but felt a little uncomfortable asking him to unpack and pack. It was great! LOL.

We also had a butler in an Owner's Suite (great upsell :) ). We're very low maintenance, but he made it clear that he'd get anything we needed. The only thing we asked was that he keep the fridge stocked with Diet Coke :D !

He also brought appetizers every afternoon about 3 PM and kept our champagne (which we don't drink :eek: ) on ice. He also just kind of "hung around" in the area of his assigned cabins when he wasn't busy, in case we wanted something. It was nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for a butler!

We also had a butler in an Owner's Suite (great upsell :) ). We're very low maintenance, but he made it clear that he'd get anything we needed. The only thing we asked was that he keep the fridge stocked with Diet Coke :D !

He also brought appetizers every afternoon about 3 PM and kept our champagne (which we don't drink :eek: ) on ice. He also just kind of "hung around" in the area of his assigned cabins when he wasn't busy, in case we wanted something. It was nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for a butler!

I'd be afraid to have him open the champs as I'd probably faint when I saw the bill! :eek:

Thanks for all of you who took the time to answer!

Happy Holidays!

Winnie <--->making note to hide the champs from adult daughter

I'd be afraid to have him open the champs as I'd probably faint when I saw the bill! :eek:

Thanks for all of you who took the time to answer!

Happy Holidays!

Winnie <--->making note to hide the champs from adult daughter

That first bottle of champagne, like the first bottle of water is usually free. ENJOY!! The second, third and fourth bottles (hey, I was only on for a week and I'm the only designated drinker:o ) were about $24 ea. This was a basic bubbly, nothing great, but a good mimosa mixer.

Winnie, have you noticed a pattern? There are many who DID NOT USE the butlers and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then there are those of us who used them to the hilt and were so delighted we wanted to shower them with big tips.

Here's a very loose variation of what I told mine when I got on. "I've never had a butler before and don't have a clue what you do, but tell me everything, keep surprising me and we will both have fun.";)

Archived