What did you ask your butler to do for you?

WinnieinWA

That first bottle of champagne, like the first bottle of water is usually free. ENJOY!! The second, third and fourth bottles (hey, I was only on for a week and I'm the only designated drinker:o ) were about $24 ea. This was a basic bubbly, nothing great, but a good mimosa mixer.

Winnie, have you noticed a pattern? There are many who DID NOT USE the butlers and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then there are those of us who used them to the hilt and were so delighted we wanted to shower them with big tips.

Here's a very loose variation of what I told mine when I got on. "I've never had a butler before and don't have a clue what you do, but tell me everything, keep surprising me and we will both have fun.";)

LOLOLOL.. I want to cruise with you!!!!!! You sound like my kind of cruiser!

If you don't mind I will say that exact thing to our butler.

I am guilty of overtipping to the extreme because I worked in that industry for several years. My tips back then are allowing me to cruise with a butler today and I want to take advantage of being pampered and waited upon. Our butler will most likely be overcompensated. It's a once in a lifetime experience and I will pay and take and make the most of it!

Thanks to all of you who took time to reply. I appreciate it!!! :)

Thanks all!

Winnie <-----> off to bank to get wayyyyy more cash!

I have been fortunate to sail with a butler several times and I just love it. That extra service and pampering is such a treat. I had one once on Princess long ago and he was fine but didn't really do much. To be honest I'm not sure we asked him for much though. What we did ask he did deliver with a smile. (I don't even know if Princess has them anymore.) Every other time has been with Celebrity. The Celebrity butlers, in my experience, look for things to do for you. I was nervous my first time sailing with one; Celebrity upgraded us to a suite from a verandah cabin, because I didn't know what he/she would do or what I would do with a butler. He instantly put me at ease and just found things, as I said earlier, to do for us.

I think the biggest thing is the shoe-shining and clothes pressing each day. It's nice to know that whatever it is I am planning to wear to dinner is all pressed and waiting for me. On the Millennium a couple of years ago my boyfriend somehow managed to forget to bring cufflinks with him; he must own 15 pair. He asked our butler if there was a place on the ship to purchase some - we had under an hour before dinner. Less than 5 minutes later the butler was at the door with two pair to chose from. My boyfriend chose one and that night made a point to give them back to the butler but he said no, we should keep them for the cruise and return them at the end. I also like to have him/her bring tea/snacks to the cabin when we return from a long day ashore. Just sitting out on the verandah resting with something to eat and drink is a wonderful day to end the afternoon.

I could go on and on with the benefits of having a butler. I certainly have sailed many times without them - on other lines and still enjoy my vacation just as much but when I get one it is an extra treat! I know my cruise in January is going to be extra special because we will have a butler and each one is a bit different and has different things to offer.

...99% of us have never had a butler on a cruise and probably never will. BUT if I did, I might ask him to go shopping in port with "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and carry all of the bags while I took a siesta some place!

Good for you, WinnieinWA!!!

You're going to have a wonderful time with your family, and the butler will spoil you. :D

You also get 3 free bottles of liquor in an owner's suite. The butler will give you a list to choose from, then bring them to your suite along with mixers you request.

He will bring you breakfast in the morning at your time of choice from a full breakfast menu, lunch and/or dinner. We did have breakfast almost every morning, and dinner in the suite twice our first time in the OS. We are not high maintenance people, but it was great knowing he was there if we wanted anything.

This link has the regular breakfast menu and the suite breakfast menu if you want to look at it. I believe they are the same menus for all NCL ships.

Have a GREAT time!

Jackie

http://travel.webshots.com/album/556482757BLuikz?start=12

angeljt,

Thanks so much for the link. I loved looking at all the menus. I leave tomorrow for my NCL Dawn cruise and really enjoyed seeing what each restaurant has to offer. :)

Thanks again everyone!

Winnie <-----> doing all last minute stuff like ironing :(

Plant,

I bought a very nice journal that I plan on taking everywhere I go and making tons of notes so I can give a review.

I know without a doubt this will be a wonderful cruise and I'll tell you why:

1. DD recently retired from serving 20 years in the USAF. She came back from 3 tours in Iraq alive. We finally have time to spend quality mother daughter time that we haven't had for 20 years.

2. DD's husband is serving his 4th tour in Iraq and will retire upon his return in May after serving 20 years in the USAF. He's still alive.

3. Life is all about choices. I choose to enjoy every day like it was my last because we never know when that last day will come and I don't want any regrets.

4. If you treat people with respect and dignity they will treat you the same.

So.. what's not to be good?

Winnie <-----> YIKES! I have to pack!!!!!!

Personally....... I prefer the excellent stewards and Concierges on HAL to having butlers on "X".

We sailed about 4 or 5 times with Butlers on "X" and truthfully they annoyed me more than assisted. They had little to do and they were underfoot and I got tired of knocks on the door asking if there was anything I required/desired. I was happy to tip him to go away and only come if we called for him....which we never did.

JMHO......

The Concierges and stewards of HAL have had our shoes shined, zippers repaired, tassel on DH's loafer fixed, torn suitcase resewn.....etc etc etc Way more helpful than any Butler we ever had. Maybe we just didn't have very good ones?

Personally....... I prefer the excellent stewards and Concierges on HAL to having butlers on "X".

We sailed about 4 or 5 times with Butlers on "X" and truthfully they annoyed me more than assisted. They had little to do and they were underfoot and I got tired of knocks on the door asking if there was anything I required/desired. I was happy to tip him to go away and only come if we called for him....which we never did.

JMHO......

The Concierges and stewards of HAL have had our shoes shined, zippers repaired, tassel on DH's loafer fixed, torn suitcase resewn.....etc etc etc Way more helpful than any Butler we ever had. Maybe we just didn't have very good ones?

We get a Concierge too! :D

angeljt,

Thanks so much for the link. I loved looking at all the menus. I leave tomorrow for my NCL Dawn cruise and really enjoyed seeing what each restaurant has to offer. :)

Thanks again everyone!

Winnie <-----> doing all last minute stuff like ironing :(

Winnie,

I hope you and your daughter are having the time of your lives, and enjoying spending time together. Please thank her and you SIL for me.

Glad you were able to look through the menus and add to your excitement.

You're right about living every day to the fullest. Enjoy!!! We'll be waiting to hear all about your cruise.

Jackie

Never had a butler on a cruise but we do have one in our favorite resort. He packs/unpacks, presses, fills our oceanfront hot tub with bath salts and has it ready when we come back from dinner ( we call 20 minutes ahead), lay out our robes and slippers, sets out the wine and wine glasses and generally spoils us completely.:D

• 2 months later...
We had a butler on the Celebrity Millenium and when we brought back a large sugar cane from the Costa Rica port, he found a big knife and cut it all up and presented it on a nice silver tray. It lasted in our fridge for the whole cruise.

We have a Penthouse on an upcoming HAL Noordam cruise and are looking forward to the Concierge. We are assuming it will be the same service as having a butler anyway.

We spend alot of time in our room, so it is worth the extra money to enjoy that part of the cruise. I love the High Tea and Hors D'oervres and am especially looking forward to the Chocolate Truffles on the pillows.

Archived