Dover or Canterbury for 1 night post-cruise?

Len3

We're staying in London pre-cruise and thought that it might be nice to stay in either Dover or Canterbury for 1 night post-cruise. Which would you select and where would you stay? Also, how is the train service from either Dover or Canterbury to London?

There is frequent service from both to London. I've spent the night in both and find both charming, but charming is marginally easier to find in Canterbury, though there are some very nice B&Bs in Dover on the road up to the castle. Since they're only about 15 minutes apart by train, it seems a shame not to see both the castle in Dover and the cathedral in Canterbury. If you only have time for one, do Canterbury.

Canterbury is nice, and the town is compact so you can walk a lot. I admit I haven't done Dover, except to land there.

Canterbury Cathedral alone can take a couple of hours. There's a nice walk around the parts of the original town walls still standing, with lovely parks. It's pretty touristy, be warned. But not over the top.

Cantebury. Very quaint town, Cathedral where Sir Thomas a Becket was beheaded; also an exhibit where the Cantebury Tales are told. Not much to do/see in Dover, xcept the white cliffs. Train is e-z from both into London--but Cantebury is/has a bit more.

• 5 weeks later...

Dover to Canterbury: Either a taxi or the train. The train is fast and frequent, but you may or may not find it feasible if you have your luggage with you. There should be plenty of taxis at the dock at Dover, so that is an easy option.

Canterbury to Heathrow: Again, this depends on whether you can manage the train (and the Tube). If you can, then take the train to Victoria. Change there to the District Line to Barons Court (or Hammersmith if the weather is bad); change there for the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow. Otherwise, I suspect that the easiest alternative will be a private car transfer; you could also do the National Express coach to Victoria coach station and change there to another coach for Heathrow.

we're staying in canterbury post cruise for one night.

plan on going to the cathedral.

anyone know how to get back to the castle in dover if we choose? cost of taxi?

as for getting to heathrow, we're attempting the train!! i know it's not direct but oh well.

sheree

Before going back to Dover to see the castle be sure to check opening times. (They vary with the season) The tours of the wartime tunnels are only booked in advance and tend to fill up. You can only book them once you get to the castle. If they are a must see, go to the starting point and ask, sometimes there are no shows and you can get on a tour.

Castle web site is: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.14571

If this does not work google Dover Castle

I think the taxi from Canterbury to Dover was about 10-15 pounds but can't confirm it. Ther is a HOHO bus in Dover which stops at the train station but it can be a long wait. Taxi's to the castle should be about 5 pounds but it is hard to get a taxi back. Make arrangements with the driver to pick you up at a specific time to take you back to the train station.

There is enought to see in Canterbury that I would discourage trying to go back to Dover.

Archived