Could More Azamara Ships Be On The Way ??? Here's What I Heard !

Andy

Hi Everyone !

I thought I would share this tidbit.....

When I was on Constellation last week, a Senior Officer mentioned at the Captains Club party that Azamara was planning to order 2 new ships, with an option for 2 additional ships. No further details were given, but I thought it was very interesting news.

If it happens, you heard it here first. Stay Tuned !

This would be nice if Azamara kept one of the ships in the US. When I last spoke with a Celebrity customer service rep, she said that many customers are inquiring about Celebrity and Azamara cruises to Bermuda and there are none for 2008 or beyond. RCCL has a few offerings but not on any of the Radiance class ships. How can Celebrity and Azamara miss out on this destination for small ships that are perfect for Bermuda and yet NCL just signed a 10 year agreement with the Bermuda Government ( http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_110707 )?

It would seem unlikely that Royal Caribbean would commit to additional smaller ships on the strength of the short Azamara experience.

Now it wouldn't surprise me if they ordered another Expedition-sized ship (around 100 guests), because that experiment has paid off very well and a ship of that size could, for instance, radically expand Alaskan itineraries.

But to think that they would order new-builds of 600 passenger ships when the Azamara concept is unproven and all the profit is in larger ships (if you can't command a premium price) seems unlikely.

If they order new ships I highly doubt they will be six hundred passenger ships, more likely double that. It's one thing to buy existing ships and refurbish them, but economically, it doesn't make sense to build them form scratch. Even Oceania's new builds will carry 11 0r 12 hundred.

I hope that whatever size ship they decide upon, Azamara ensures that the ship is a "good sailor." I have read comments from people who have been on the Renaissance ships (Princess, Oceania, Azamara, etc.) in rougher seas, such as around Cape Horn, and have decided that I want a better riding ship than those for such itineraries.

The ships don't need to be huge to be "good sailors," as I recall the original Royal Princess and what a smooth ride that ship gave.

The comment about Royal Princess providing a smooth ride is not supported by our experience several years back on a North Atlantic fall repositioning cruise. We had 2-3 days of "40 foot" seas off port quarter. Water came over bow in very impressive quantities and also over several decks at stern. The result was a whole lot of water in some pass. cabins at rear. The ride was anything but smooth although captain said ship was good for 60 foot waves.

Almost any ship will give a rough ride in 45 foot seas.

I'm another who thinks the former Royal Princess (now P&O's Artemis) is a good rider in heavy seas.

We had four different trips on Royal Princess, and only one was somewhat rough (in a Force 8 gale), Dover to NYC via Iceland & Greenland, 8-98.

Royal Princess handled Force 8's much better than Golden Princess, 8-02, West of the Azores, when we had bow-slap spray raining down on our balcony on Caribe Deck (deck 10), windows shattering along Prom Deck, and much glass damage in the shops and restaurants, while the ship was fighting for seaway.

Our roughest was in the China Sea, 11-86, on the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000 tonner, trying to outrun the back end of a typhoon. We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and inclinometer pegge seveal times. It was rough!

A small ship costs almost as much to build as a big one. After all, it is a ship.

There were originally eight R Six ships. Azamara has two, Oceania has three, I think. Does any one know where other R ships are located?

Perhaps Azamara could purchase one or two of the existing ships to expand its fleet.

• 1 month later...
Has anybody heard, read anything about possible new ships for Azamara? We heard on a recent Quest sailing (05-19 Jan) that there will be 4 new builds in the 900 passenger range. Any truth to the rumor? ---- PENNY

Hi Penny !

We have an ongoing thread dedicated to this topic. I am merging your thread with the existing one. I also heard the same thing on Quest as you did, but nothing official has been announced yet. Stay Tuned !

Has anybody heard, read anything about possible new ships for Azamara? We heard on a recent Quest sailing (05-19 Jan) that there will be 4 new builds in the 900 passenger range. Any truth to the rumor? ---- PENNY
As I already quoted to Andy, in a long chat with the Capt. Of the Quest the size of the ship was discussed, and as he was also involved with the bringing out of the Solstice Class, and had mostly worked on MUCH larger ships (except the Journey when she came out), Which type of ships he preferred. He stated that the 700-900 passenger ships were really much nicer for passengers and crew, as the intimate setting meant you really got to KNOW each other and was a warmer atmosphere all the way around. HE also strongly suggested that more of these sized ships were "On the Way" and the trends of the industry were in this direction! Since he has worked behind the building of these other mega ships, we felt he knew what he was talking about.:)

Archived