New Genesis Class Ship

TEXASMUNK

Just read where it will be home ported in Fort Lauderdale. But the article also said the cost works out to $230,000 per bed.

If you do the math, this is a pretty good deal for RCI. New ships sail FULL. So if you take the cost at an average of $1,000 per week for a passenger, that bed is paid off in less than 5 years.

Not alot of hotels or large buildings, etc that can pay off the cost in that short a time frame. Knew I liked the Mgt of RCI, Make that stock price soar!!!!!

Here is a link to the news about where both Genesis class ships will port ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-flbships1201sbdec01,0,5031652.story?track=rss

However, your math is wrong. During those five years the ship will use fuel, pay port charges, take on food and have a large staff to pay. These extra cost will extend the amount of time it takes for the ship to pay for itself.

Just using a hard construction cost number. All those other factors eat into the gross dollar, but also the $1000 is a very low number, considering suites, balconies, etc.

Was not intended to be "accurate" just an observation.

RCI needs to do some terminal renovation. There have been reports of debarkation problems for Navigator. They will also have to have more customs officers there for debarkation to avoid long lines etc.

Wonder how this will affect RCI putting a 7 day ship into Port Canaverl to replace Mariner which will move to California.

"Full steam ahead" April 14th 1912-middle of the Atlantic:)
Okay, so the Titanic depreciated faster than most ships. I don't dispute that ships depreciate in value. But if the Titanic was insured, then it paid for itself in only one cruise (or one half of one cruise - depends on your point of view).

OH it was insured alright. That is one of the conspiracy theories isn't it. That they were supposed to have swopped it with the OLympic which White Star lines couldn't afford to repair and that they sent it out hoping it would sink so they could claim insurance.

Not that I believe it.

I was kinda hoping for Miami or Port Canaveral!
Okay, I am still not getting it. Ft. Lauderdale is only 20 - 25 miles from Miami. It is not much different than flying into LAX and driving to one of the two Los Angeles ports. If you like Miami, whats not to like about Ft. Lauderdale? Is 20 - 25 miles a big issue for you, or is there something else?

Okay, I am still not getting it. Ft. Lauderdale is only 20 - 25 miles from Miami. It is not much different than flying into LAX and driving to one of the two Los Angeles ports. If you like Miami, whats not to like about Ft. Lauderdale? Is 20 - 25 miles a big issue for you, or is there something else?

No I was just hoping for Miami or PC because i've sailed out of there many times and i have never sailed out of Port Everglades.

No I was just hoping for Miami or PC because i've sailed out of there many times and i have never sailed out of Port Everglades.
Book the Genesis, and you'll get two new adventures for the price of one.

The port is in the upper right of the picture below. The runway for the airport is in the lower left ...

WITW-VII.jpg

Unless and until the new terminal is up and working, I won't sail out of FLL again, Genesis ship or not. It was just too much of a mess. To me being close to FLL was the only thing to recommend it and it isn't that much farther to MIA from Port of Miami.

Unless and until the new terminal is up and working, I won't sail out of FLL again, Genesis ship or not. It was just too much of a mess. To me being close to FLL was the only thing to recommend it and it isn't that much farther to MIA from Port of Miami.
I would think that RCI has been assured of something, because I can see the problems if people reviewing there Genesis cruise are spending 50% of the review on complaints about the port.

I noticed it states "mid 2009" for the start of sailings from FLL....I thought the Genny (sorry Genesis) wasnt coming out until Fall of 2009..or am I being duh :o :confused: ..also you would think there would be at least a month of Pre-Inaugurals etc (Europe & US)

So does this mean do you think she, will be finished earlier than we thought ?

Archived