Aft suite - dreaded vent or dreaded beam?!

TrinaLC

I was on the July 10 sailing and had an aft stateroom. B755.

The vent did not bother me and I loved my aft stateroom.

I honestly dont know what people are complaining about.

Starz723--I am confused about which ship you are talking about. Is it the Emerald?? If so, do you have any pictures of B755?? We are in that cabin in October, and would love to see some pictures!!!

• 5 months later...
I guess the Diamond Princess and the Sapphire Princess are sister ships. Are the aft cabins for the Sapphire and Diamond the same configuration as on some of the other Princess ships in these threads? I splurged on stern cabin E733 (haven't told my wife yet that I upgraded from a mini-suite for an additional $2K). After reading some of these threads I'm wondering if I made the right decision. I think I may still have time to change to maybe a PS. I thought being aft and cuising along looking at the wake would be pretty cool. If I'm going to be looking out of our cabin at a beam, though, I don't know.......

We were in the Hong Kong Suite (Emerald 733) on the Diamond in February - yes - there is a "dreaded" Beam on the balcony - cutting the balcony into 2/3's and 1/3 - it does make the balcony seem smaller - the 1/3 of the balcony on the one side of the beam is virtually useless - too small for chairs, etc.

We just got back from sailing on the Star Aft Suite and the beam did not bother us at all in fact we liked the space behind it to keep out of the wind. The suite is great for 3. My 17 year old liked sleeping in the drop down bed because it was more comfortable than the sofa.

e733.JPG

myangel,

Thanks for the great photo. We are in D736 and D734 7/26/09. I am confused as to what the problem is as I do not see vents etc. None of us have ever had aft cabins, so I am anxious to see and feel the comparison from being either port or starboard side.

New Page 1

Click on above, a picture of the aft suites. You couls easily host a party on that balcony for 6-8 if you wanted. We sailed on the CB both times in VS, with our 19 and 17 year old sons. Space was never an issue. We are returning to the CB in two weeks with just myself and my husband, leaving the kids at home. We have a balcony stateroom this time. I will surely miss the suite!!!!!

myangel,

Please tell me that that there is a door between the two balconies that can be opened.......VS 736 & 734. We want so much to share balconies with our children etc.

e733.JPG

Can any one tell me what is between E734 and E735 on the Emerald deck and D734 and D735 on Dolphin. On the above picture it just looks like open balcony but I do not see any access to it on the deck plan. Is this space any different on the CB vs the Crown?.

Thanks.....Ken

I was in D734 on the Grand in March. Same configuration as in the photo. The big blank place is the ventilation for the ship and its somewhat noisy when at sea. The noise from the wake does muffle it, but it is not at all a quiet refuge. With the door open, you cannot listen to the tv because its too noisy. The beams are not much of an issue because the balconies are very large. They could easily sit 6 to 8 people. The only balconies that you can hear this ventilation are the ones directly next to vents. (Four balconies affected) During our cruise there was also 6 days of maintenance going on in this area for which we complained and received a generous credit.

I was in D734 on the Grand in March. Same configuration as in the photo. The big blank place is the ventilation for the ship and its somewhat noisy when at sea. The noise from the wake does muffle it, but it is not at all a quiet refuge. With the door open, you cannot listen to the tv because its too noisy. The beams are not much of an issue because the balconies are very large. They could easily sit 6 to 8 people. The only balconies that you can hear this ventilation are the ones directly next to vents. (Four balconies affected) During our cruise there was also 6 days of maintenance going on in this area for which we complained and received a generous credit.

What 4 balconies suites are affected?

Capt. & Teach

The beam that I have posted pictures of is B751 and is on the Crown Princess and would be the same on the Emerald. In B751 and B750 on the Crown and Emerald the beam is very intrusive and prevents anyone from using the balcony the same as other BB balconies.

People are not being clear if they are talking about the Caribbean Princess or the Crown/Emerald Princess. Also there seems to be confusion between the "B" cabins and the "C" cabins.

sue

We had this room (B751) when we were on the Crown. We did no find the beam to be much of an issue. Yes it blocks a portion of your view from the room. You just go out on the balcony, with no wind from ship movement it was not an issue.

hi...have had the "beam" once and this will be my second year with the "vent." either of the rooms are great. i have to say i do prefer the "vent" room and only because of my anal nature:D. i kept wanting to move the beam to even out the deck! only in my mind of course. really though, they both are great rooms imho. an aft cabin cant be beat.

The GRAND PRINCESS doesn't have issues with vent!Yes, there are beams that block views on "Owners Suite" however, "Premium Suites" are PERFECT on Baja Deck!

D734 (BB) on the grand does have problems with the vent. Its noisy, not terrible, but definately louder than the suite next door.

Interested in all the info on this as we have just booked D736 on Star. Not bothered by beam, but will this cabin be affected by the vent?

We have the opportunity to transfer to one of the Vista suites on Emerald deck. Would this be a better location? Looks like balcony may be slightly smaller.

Any advice appreciated.

There are know vents on the GRAND!

• 5 months later...

We are in C748 for 14 days on the CB in Jan. We have booked this room and other "dreaded vent" rooms before and LOVE them. The negatives you hear on these boards are greatly overstated. We find the location quiet (having nothing below you and a stateroom above you) and we find the vent provides extra privacy (you have no neighbors to your right, only the space and the vent). We have never experienced the smells people talk about and the slight noise from the vent isn't a big deal. We had a beam room once...never again. Why pay for a PS in which the balcony is broken up with a beam when you don't have to. Take C748...you will love it.

• 3 months later...