Celebrity Summit Refurbishment???

RosiePosie1013

Does anyone know if Celebrity Summit is scheduled for a refurbishment and/or drydocking any time in the near future? We are looking to sail on the Summit in March 2008, but hear from the message boards that the ship is needing some attention and appears worn in some areas.

I am also curious about Summit. We were on the voyage immediately after her maiden voyage in 2001 I believe and she was a masterpiece and an extremely memorable cruise. Excellent service, food and typifying the Celebrity experience. Although I'm booked on Oceania, Insignia, I would also consider Summit for Europe in 2008 if she scheduled a refit.

We're on Summit right now and we spoke to our Maitre'd and he told us Summit is going into dry dock right after the crossing in April. This was also told to us by the head of the activities staff. And, from what I can see, Summit really needs a dry dock. Lots of general upkeep is needed such as painting, refinishing all the balconies railings, fixing furniture and carpets. The dry dock is supposed to take three weeks

Unbelievable. The Summit is probably in better condition than your home. Why are so many people so concerned about REFURBISHMENTS? Go, cruise, enjoy!!!!

Especially since any refurbishments that they might be talking about do not require a drydock.

The condition of a ship is very important. We just got off of the Splendor of the Seas and it is starting to look tired. The couches in the rooms need to be re-done badly. That is not going into dry dock until 2010. It will never make it. I understand the Summit was just refurbished in 2005. It can't look that bad in just two years! Anyone else have an opinion on how it looks.

We are sailing on it March 29, 2008 - the Transatlantic crossing.

The condition of a ship is very important. We just got off of the Splendor of the Seas and it is starting to look tired. The couches in the rooms need to be re-done badly. That is not going into dry dock until 2010. It will never make it. I understand the Summit was just refurbished in 2005. It can't look that bad in just two years! Anyone else have an opinion on how it looks.

We are sailing on it March 29, 2008 - the Transatlantic crossing.

The primary purpose of ships going into drydock is NOT for refubishment, it is to maintain things that can't be done at sea. Changing a couch can be done at any time as well as most cosmetic changes...

All soft goods (carpeting, draperies, furniture) are not done while passengers are on board a ship. They are done when they pull the ship from service for a specific period of time. That specific period of time can be called what ever you want. If a ship looks tired it needs to be upgraded. The cruise line makes money when passengers are on it, not when it is being upgraded.

Everyone has their own opinion of what "tired" means. The more experienced the traveler, I would believe the fresher they expect the vessel to look. Someone who is taking their first cruise has no idea what it should look like. Go on some of the newer ships and you will see the difference between new and aged.

All soft goods (carpeting, draperies, furniture) are not done while passengers are on board a ship. They are done when they pull the ship from service for a specific period of time. That specific period of time can be called what ever you want. If a ship looks tired it needs to be upgraded. The cruise line makes money when passengers are on it, not when it is being upgraded.

Everyone has their own opinion of what "tired" means. The more experienced the traveler, I would believe the fresher they expect the vessel to look. Someone who is taking their first cruise has no idea what it should look like. Go on some of the newer ships and you will see the difference between new and aged.

Sorry, with all due respect I have to disagree. Have seen myself and have had people write on these boards that all three items you mentioned have been done while the ship had passengers on board. Numerous times.

djk, when speaking with both the activities staff and the ass't maitre'd, I mentioned the fact that things don't seem to be kept up with respect to what I think are simple upkeep items. Both men said "what do you expect when there's less then two hours for turn around between cruises". So that tells me that X doesn't do much in terms of touch ups while passengers are on board or not on board. I can give you two instances from just this cruise. The railings on the balconies are down to bare wood. It's so deteriorated that my sister got a sliver in her hand from grabbing the railing when the ship hit a bump In the suites that have the wooden furniture on the balconies, they're also down to bare wood. I've been on ships where the crew were touch up painting the exterior parts of the ship at nearly every port of call. Not so here. Lots of rusted areas all over the exterior of the ship. With respect to the railings, I've been on ships where the maintainence crews did re-laquer the railings during a cruise. While that might inconvience passengers for a short time, it is something that improved the appearance of the ship, and it does show that the line takes such issues seriously. This might sound like petty things, but added up, it contributes to the shabby look of the ship. Does it ruin a cruise? Certainly not, but I fervently believe that scrupulous upkeep, or lack thereof, reflects on a cruise line.

The primary purpose of ships going into drydock is NOT for refubishment, it is to maintain things that can't be done at sea. Changing a couch can be done at any time as well as most cosmetic changes...

The point is not whether they CAN refurbish a ship in a non-drydock situation but whether they ARE. And they are not, currently.

Got off Galaxy a couple of weeks ago and many of the situations that Kitty relates on Summit are present there, too. Many, many balcony railings down to the bare wood. Our cabin's couch had a sizeable rip on the bottom and numerous stains on the cushions. The bottom of our cabin door was "repaired" with masking tape since the sweep was broken. The pool deck itself had been replaced with the plastic "teak look" covering but much of the surrounding area was rusting and in need of paint. The ship is just not in good shape. Yes, it is scheduled for refurbishment next year but is WAY overdo. The ship needed work 2 1/2 years ago when we last sailed it. As a contrast, here are some of the experiences we've had in the last 2 years.

Costa: Everybody loves to bash Costa, but we sailed the Fortuna 7 months after her launch. They were already refinishing all of the railings on all of the balcony cabins (and they really did not need it).

Princess: Sailed the Sapphire Princess earlier this year. The ship was barely 2 years old and had already been through a refreshment.

Before the cheerleaders start flaming, we've sailed Celebrity 11 times in the last 4 years, have 2 more booked, are RCCL stockholders and consider Celebrity one of our favorite 3 cruiselines. But what is obvious should be obvious to all and that is that they are cutting costs as fast as they can and that does NOT bode well for the future.

And, to waylay the "lemon out of lemonade" and "glass half empty or glass half full" responses, that is all well and good when life deals you a bad hand. It simply does not apply, for us, when you've spent a considerable amount of money for a product and it doesn't deliver.

Actually, this is a POSITIVE post. We would just like to see Celebrity back in their leadership role. Currently, for us, they are not even close.

The point is not whether they CAN refurbish a ship in a non-drydock situation but whether they ARE. And they are not, currently.

Got off Galaxy a couple of weeks ago and many of the situations that Kitty relates on Summit are present there, too. Many, many balcony railings down to the bare wood. Our cabin's couch had a sizeable rip on the bottom and numerous stains on the cushions. The bottom of our cabin door was "repaired" with masking tape since the sweep was broken. The pool deck itself had been replaced with the plastic "teak look" covering but much of the surrounding area was rusting and in need of paint. The ship is just not in good shape. Yes, it is scheduled for refurbishment next year but is WAY overdo. The ship needed work 2 1/2 years ago when we last sailed it. As a contrast, here are some of the experiences we've had in the last 2 years.

Costa: Everybody loves to bash Costa, but we sailed the Fortuna 7 months after her launch. They were already refinishing all of the railings on all of the balcony cabins (and they really did not need it).

Princess: Sailed the Sapphire Princess earlier this year. The ship was barely 2 years old and had already been through a refreshment.

Before the cheerleaders start flaming, we've sailed Celebrity 11 times in the last 4 years, have 2 more booked, are RCCL stockholders and consider Celebrity one of our favorite 3 cruiselines. But what is obvious should be obvious to all and that is that they are cutting costs as fast as they can and that does NOT bode well for the future.

And, to waylay the "lemon out of lemonade" and "glass half empty or glass half full" responses, that is all well and good when life deals you a bad hand. It simply does not apply, for us, when you've spent a considerable amount of money for a product and it doesn't deliver.

Actually, this is a POSITIVE post. We would just like to see Celebrity back in their leadership role. Currently, for us, they are not even close.

And yet many people are coming back from cruises saying they are taking care of these things. If its being a cheerleader as you say to read ALL the reviews and not just the negative ones, than so be it. I fully expect to see someone ask in January of 09 when Solstice is going in for refurbishment...

And yet many people are coming back from cruises saying they are taking care of these things. If its being a cheerleader as you say to read ALL the reviews and not just the negative ones, than so be it. I fully expect to see someone ask in January of 09 when Solstice is going in for refurbishment...

Thats all well and good and good advice. Unfortunately, a gushing review does not repair the rip in the couch, clean the stains, fix the door, repair the pool deck, replace the windows in Stratosphere. That was a big one for us...more than half of the windows in that lounge are fogged to the point of obscuring any view outside. They needed replaced in June 2005 when we sailed Galaxy, needed replaced in November 2006 when we were docked next to her in Naples and they needed replaced last month. This is even though a "review" maintained that all the windows had been replaced and another "review" said that the windows had been loaded on in one of the ports, ready for replacement.

If Solistice has issues such as these, I would EXPECT people to ask when it is going in for refurbishment.

Thats all well and good and good advice. Unfortunately, a gushing review does not repair the rip in the couch, clean the stains, fix the door, repair the pool deck, replace the windows in Stratosphere. That was a big one for us...more than half of the windows in that lounge are fogged to the point of obscuring any view outside. They needed replaced in June 2005 when we sailed Galaxy, needed replaced in November 2006 when we were docked next to her in Naples and they needed replaced last month. This is even though a "review" maintained that all the windows had been replaced and another "review" said that the windows had been loaded on in one of the ports, ready for replacement.

If Solistice has issues such as these, I would EXPECT people to ask when it is going in for refurbishment.

Not everyone thinks a tear in the carpet is a big deal or a rip in the couch. I can understand that things need to be done and the only point I was making originally was that a drydock for many seems to be a panacea for everything wrong on a ship. I guess they don't get any credit for changing the bedding on the entire fleet without the benefit of a drydock. They only get criticized. This board is called cruise critic and I understand both sides, I have been extremely critical in many area. Quite frankly it has turned into cruise criticism and not critic. It has certainly changed from when I joined many years ago. Really isn't a lot of fun anymore..

Having sailed the Infinity and Mercury this year, Celebrity does not take care of their ships like those in the Carnival brands. On HAL and Princess, rails get revarnished, carpet and upholstry repaired while the ship is under way.

Its my only major criticism of Celebrity is that their ships just look more run down than the competition Next up is the Summit in Feb, i'll assume it looks like it needs an update.

its a shame, a new coast of varnish and paint are so easy..

Had no idea she (Summit) was refurbished in 2005. Didn't know that. Thank you, that's good enough for me, it's only Dec. 07.

The other poster that claimed that the notorious "Carnivor" the Walmart of the seas, does a better upkeep, is laughable. I have to disagree. And as for HAL...the Maasdam is as out of date and worn down as they come. I had actual rust bleeds as wide as two feet on my Maasdam verandah. Ship looks like 1970 death warmed over.

Gustav

Volkswagon bought Rolls Royce a few years ago too. Walmart sells more diamonds than Tiffany's..... I've been down this road before....sorry, only 64 cruises to date and it's just MY opinion. I was refering to Carnival Cruiseships, not wholly owned subsidiaries. I do know that one can't buy heritage, even Carnivor.

"Carnivor" may own many lines but only Seabourn makes a real difference. Cunard, very sadly is a mere name now, The QM-2 is nothing more than a monsterous glorified Carnival ship in Cunard livery; beating the laurels of this former British legend with terrible food and service but with mega-suites and movie star prices off the charts. Princess is far below its original standards, Holland America is terrible and Costa is awful. Carnivor buys names, cuts corners, changes legends into bottom lines and focuses on Wall Street..PERIOD.

This is not the world of oceanliners that I grew up with but I thank God there are still some serious lines out there that continue to make the grade. In this day and age one does not always get what one pays for.

Gustav

ECCruise: I think a lot of us agree with you on all of your points. We have also sailed Celebrity and many other lines and agree that there are some maintenance problems that are not taken care as quickly by Celebrity as they are on other cruise lines. With the Summit not due for dry dock until April of next year, most of the things that need replacing will probably wait until the dry dock. Another point the OP should check out is a thread discussing the possible mechanical problems on the Summit, which is at the top of this forum.

We sailed on the Galaxy a couple of years ago and most of what you reported seeing that needed correcting on your recent cruise was true on our cruise almost three years ago!

Have to agree the Summit is in poor condition. On our prior Celebrity cruises there were always crew members cleaning, polishing and doing various maintence work throughtout the ship, but I saw none of that on this cruise. The food and service was excellent but I'll not be as loyal to Celebrity in the future if this poor upkeep is a trend.

djk, when speaking with both the activities staff and the ass't maitre'd, I mentioned the fact that things don't seem to be kept up with respect to what I think are simple upkeep items. Both men said "what do you expect when there's less then two hours for turn around between cruises". So that tells me that X doesn't do much in terms of touch ups while passengers are on board or not on board. I can give you two instances from just this cruise. The railings on the balconies are down to bare wood. It's so deteriorated that my sister got a sliver in her hand from grabbing the railing when the ship hit a bump In the suites that have the wooden furniture on the balconies, they're also down to bare wood. I've been on ships where the crew were touch up painting the exterior parts of the ship at nearly every port of call. Not so here. Lots of rusted areas all over the exterior of the ship. With respect to the railings, I've been on ships where the maintainence crews did re-laquer the railings during a cruise. While that might inconvience passengers for a short time, it is something that improved the appearance of the ship, and it does show that the line takes such issues seriously. This might sound like petty things, but added up, it contributes to the shabby look of the ship. Does it ruin a cruise? Certainly not, but I fervently believe that scrupulous upkeep, or lack thereof, reflects on a cruise line.

I noticed the exact same thing on my Summit cruise last year. Our balcony was down to bare wood. Things like that do not require dry dock to fix but rather just a little effort on the part of the cruise line. You are right in saying that "it does contribute to a shabby look of the ship". On every other cruise line that I have sailed they are constantly painting and re-varnishing all of the outside areas and balcony railings.

The primary purpose of this dry dock is not to refurbish the ship (although that is sorely needed IMO), but to install an auxiliary engine that runs on heavy fuel oil (relatively cheap) rather than the higher grade, more expensive fuel required to run the gas turbines on -- to use the ship's full name -- GTS Summit. The new engine is expected to power all the hotel facilities; the gas turbines will henceforth handle mainly propulsion. Millennium already has the new engine and Constellation might as well -- not sure. When all four ships (along with all of RCI's Radiance-Class) have been fitted with the new engine it will save RCCL millions of dollars each year in fuel costs. The downside is that there will now be a certain amount of black smoke/soot emanating from the funnel. It should still be a smaller amount than on those cruise ships that run completely on heavy fuel oil or bunker oil (which is nearly every cruise ship in service except for the Millennium and Radiance classes). It is very unfortunate for the environment, but with the price of fuel at today's levels the brief era of gas turbine cruise vessels is probably over.

As to Summit's condition, we were recently on HAL's Zuiderdam, which is about the same age and is also due for a major dry dock in April. The HAL ship is in much better condition than poor Summit. We were frankly very surprised to see such a noticeable difference in the condition of the two ships. As we like the Celebrity product, we can only hope that management is willing to spend a bit more on upkeep following the dry dock. If not, we may be on HAL more often than X in the future.

Rich

Archived