Is Cabo a good ship day?

Anni_M

Given the choice between a sight seeing tour in Mazatlan or Cabo, which would you chose? I'd like to do something a little educational for a change, and maybe take the kids on a tour to learn a little history. 3 days in a row of getting on and off the ship is a bit much for us, so I was thinking maybe Cabo would be the place to stay on the ship and let the kids hit the water slide 60 or 70 times. Besides, Cabo is the shortest stop. Which do you think has the most interesting, historical, tours? I'm also thinking we'd hire a regular cab to do so - good or bad?

Thank you!

A~

We usually head back to the ship early on Cabo days. We haven't ventured too far from port though. Some day we will spend some time at our timeshare in San Jose Del Cabo so we can do further exploring, since ship days in Cabo are so short. And depending on when you are cruising, Cabo can be your hottest port, temperature wise.

Mazatlan is an excellent touring port. Get yourself hooked up with Mazatlan Frank and he will teach your family great things. He is a wonderful guide, speaks perfect English and can show you great sites.

I agree, do a tour with Mazatlan Frank. You will get the best tour and history from him or one of his associates. They speak good English and know so much of the history of Mazatlan. It's a beautiful place to see..

Have a great cruise.

Mazatlan is my least favorite port but I still get off the ship.

Rather than skipping a port, why don't you make one stop relaxing? For that, I'd suggest Cabo. Medano Beach is very easy to get to and the water is the nicest you will see in the MR. Rather than enjoying the slide on the ship, you can play in the water and have a great lunch on Medano. We usually go to The Office but the Mango Deck has great loungers that they'll set you up in for the day.....just order food and drink. When you're ready to head back, just hop a water taxi. You can even have them give you a quick tour of Lover's Beach and Lands End. Anything is possible in Mexico!

If you're looking for an historical tour I think Mazatlan is the place. The old town is one of our favorite places to visit. There is an art museum, an archeological museum, the cathedral, Revolutionary Square and the Angela Peralto Theater--all within a few blocks of each other. You can do it by yourself by catching a cab and having them drop you off at Plaza Machado. Olas Altas Beach is just a few clocks away. The cliff divers are about a 10-15 minute walk. There are several artisan galleries that are within 3-4 blocks of Plaza Machado where we manage to spend our money on locally made souvenirs like leather masks, miniature clay masks, scarfs, pottery etc.

I can't recommend a tour in Cabo, but I think that you could get off the ship for a quick trip downtown.

Just a few blocks walk from the tender docks is a museum (unfortunately closed for renovations during our recent trip, but may be open when you cruise?) with a great whale skeleton in the open courtyard out front.

th_PA240104.jpg

(click)

From SignonSanDiego:

A giant whale skeleton poses in front of the tiny Museo de las Californias in Cabo San Lucas. The museum is the dream of an eclectic group of locals and visitors who have long been trying to showcase the rich history of the region. Amid the farming implements and artifacts is a collection of fossils from the Sierra de la Laguna mountain range ...

gary

Cabo is our favorite stop of the 3 and couldn't imagine staying on the ship. Take the kids to the beach, go for a dolphin swim or just walk around town and have lunch at one of the fabulous restaurants. We discovered Cabo on our first cruise 14 years ago and now go back for 10 days at a time at least one a year!:)

Cabo is our least favorite of the three ports. We've now done the itinerary three times in two years. Two weeks ago, we took a glass bottom boat ride out around Los Arcos, went to Cabo Wabo for lunch and drinks, did some shopping, and headed back to enjoy a less crowded ship.

There are several great things to do in Mazatlan. This last time we rode Randi's Happy Horses and had an awesome time!

Cabo is our favorite stop of the 3 and couldn't imagine staying on the ship. Take the kids to the beach, go for a dolphin swim or just walk around town and have lunch at one of the fabulous restaurants. We discovered Cabo on our first cruise 14 years ago and now go back for 10 days at a time at least one a year!:)

What 2 or 3 beaches would your recommend for kids?

Given the choice between a sight seeing tour in Mazatlan or Cabo, which would you chose? I'd like to do something a little educational for a change, and maybe take the kids on a tour to learn a little history. 3 days in a row of getting on and off the ship is a bit much for us, so I was thinking maybe Cabo would be the place to stay on the ship and let the kids hit the water slide 60 or 70 times. Besides, Cabo is the shortest stop. Which do you think has the most interesting, historical, tours? I'm also thinking we'd hire a regular cab to do so - good or bad?

Thank you!

A~

We have cruised the Mex. Riviera several times but unfortunately have only been to our favorite port, Mazatlan, once. (Will take care of that in April when we get to go back again.:D )

IMHO, Mazatlan is a great port for you kids to learn about and see many new things.

Take a cab to the city's central market where the children can learn much about the lifestyle of the Mexican people. The market is among our favorite free excursions DH & I have taken in 20 cruises.

The market offers daily fresh food items from produce to meats. DH & I grew up on farms but were still amazed at how many different parts of a pig were on sale within the market. Only part of the pig not eaten there seems to be the ``oink.'' We had a great time taking pics of the different food stands offering everything from pigs' ears to tails, heads, etc. to show you could actually purchase about every part of a pig and put it back together like a puzzle.

Mazatlan also has a cliff diver platform along the ocean. While everyone raves about the cliff divers in Acapulco, few people realize you can see cliff divers in Mazatlan and not have to pay for a ship excursion or even a taxi if you are a good walker. The cliff diving area is actually not a long walk from the market area and the walk along the ocean corridor is beautiful.

Dianne

Archived