RCCL pricing policy

ehogan

We have not been on RCCL for a few years and I think, in that time they have revamped their pricing strategy so that set prices apply whether you book through an agent or with RCCL directly. Am I correct in assuming that it is unlikely that you can get any real deals on RCCL, are prices pretty well fixed over time?

Also, I am not seeing that reserving a "guarantee" is an option - does this mean there is no chance of a visit from the upgrade fairy?

I am interested in a cruise in 2009 to South America and wondering if it is better to wait or do it now.

Thanks for your help

I would definitely book early especially if you are wanting to do the Mariner South America, as it will be highly anticipated by those on the west coast who have been begging for a Voyager class ship for years. The other thing is when you book early, if the prices drop between now and final payment you should be able to get a price reduction if it occurs. I am not a big fan of gaurantee bookings if you are not going to be happy with the worst possible cabin in the gaurantee category. RCI does normally offer them, so if they are not available for the sailing it is probably because they are sold out. South America is spectacular, and you really should consider pre and post experiences, and I highly recommend Peru and Iquassu Falls in Brazil/Argentina. If you are a wine (oenophile) then Mendoza in Argentina or Santiago in Chile are worth a stop.

jc

As posted before, here are some facts to answer your question. You are correct that travel agents cannot discount but that can offer you things like onboard credit.

1) Any fare offered by an RCCL/X agent, including any perks, a travel agent will at least offer you that.

2) It is true that travel agents cannot discount normal fares as you would see them on RCCL/X's web site BUT:

------a) A travel agent has access to group fares and/or perks on a number of sailing dates, even if you are not part of the group. Those fares CANNOT be offered by RCCL/X agents and do not violate the "no discount" rule.

------b) A travel agent has access to fares from RCCL/X for some sailings that are only available to some travel agents and that are not group fares. RCCL agents CANNOT offer those fares. These are lower fares but not considered a discount.

------c) Depending on category booked, an agent might provide a gift ranging from something like a bottle of wine to shipboard credit. An RCCL/X agent cannot do this unless it is part of a RCCL/X package deal. If there is a RCCL/X package the travel agent will offer you that PLUS possibly the additional gift.

3) In case of problems, remember the RCCL/X agent works for the cruise line. The travel agent works for YOU.

4) Any booking made on board can be transferred to the travel agent and you keep the shipboard credit you received.

5) A good travel agent is MORE THAN a reservation clerk and can and will do more to maximize your cruising experience.

6) The travel agent can alert you to "Happy Hour" deals many days before the actual date, as they receive early notification. The RCCL/X agent generally does not know the "Happy Hour" deals before they are posted to them on Tuesday.

7) A travel agent can book "Happy Hour" deals before the RCCL/X phones open on Tuesday.

8) Many travel agents can and do notify you and act on price reductions.

Any agency offering "discounts", gift cards, etc., for RCCL/X cruises other than mentioned above is at high risk of losing their right to sell RCCL and X cruises.

By the way, Disney and Regent are now "no discount" also.

If you book direct with cruise lines that do not forbid discounting you forgo the discount that a TA can provide.

As posted before, here are some facts to answer your question. You are correct that travel agents cannot discount but that can offer you things like onboard credit.

1) Any fare offered by an RCCL/X agent, including any perks, a travel agent will at least offer you that.

2) It is true that travel agents cannot discount normal fares as you would see them on RCCL/X's web site BUT:

------a) A travel agent has access to group fares and/or perks on a number of sailing dates, even if you are not part of the group. Those fares CANNOT be offered by RCCL/X agents and do not violate the "no discount" rule.

------b) A travel agent has access to fares from RCCL/X for some sailings that are only available to some travel agents and that are not group fares. RCCL agents CANNOT offer those fares. These are lower fares but not considered a discount.

------c) Depending on category booked, an agent might provide a gift ranging from something like a bottle of wine to shipboard credit. An RCCL/X agent cannot do this unless it is part of a RCCL/X package deal. If there is a RCCL/X package the travel agent will offer you that PLUS possibly the additional gift.

3) In case of problems, remember the RCCL/X agent works for the cruise line. The travel agent works for YOU.

4) Any booking made on board can be transferred to the travel agent and you keep the shipboard credit you received.

5) A good travel agent is MORE THAN a reservation clerk and can and will do more to maximize your cruising experience.

6) The travel agent can alert you to "Happy Hour" deals many days before the actual date, as they receive early notification. The RCCL/X agent generally does not know the "Happy Hour" deals before they are posted to them on Tuesday.

7) A travel agent can book "Happy Hour" deals before the RCCL/X phones open on Tuesday.

Any agency offering "discounts", gift cards, etc., for RCCL/X cruises other than mentioned above is at high risk of losing their right to sell RCCL and X cruises.

If you book direct with cruise lines that do not forbid discounting you forgo the discount that a TA can provide.

Great answer! HEY MODS. This should be added to the FAQ Sticky

Two things:

With RCCL it is best to book early. That way you are price protected in case the price goes up, but if the price goes down you can usually call and get the lower price, even after final payment. The only exceptions are Tuesday sales and certain other sales that are for new bookings only.

RCCL does offer guarantee staterooms but not on every sailing of every cruise. Also, they don't offer them in every category. Sometimes you will find them offered months in advance on a cruise that isn't selling well, or really close to sailing when they are trying to fill up a ship.

we have booked through a travel agent, and got a much better deal.

The TA had a block booking fo cabins, so we have saved about $130 each on the RCL fare (x 2 weeks), then in adidtion to that we also got $100 on board creidt for each week for the cabin.

It is worth shopping around, and some TA's that have block bookings can give you lower prices.

But was this with a UK TA? As I understand it, there is heavy discounting available in the UK (I have got about 15%), but not in the US. However, the UK prices tend to be higher to start with!

This was a UK travel agent, and the prices I was comparing was comparing with US prices (not the UK undiscounted proces which are a high). However, talking to RCL (US) on the phone, there are USA TA's that do the same thing, booking block spaces.

Nice sales pitch.

I bet you smiled when you wrote that. A travel agent works for the travel agency. Travel is a highly competitive market. For you to state that an RCI employee works RCI but a TA works for you is laughable.

At RCI if you have a relationship with a Vacation Planner established I find out about deals as well. It is not limited to TAs.

I can do. It's called internet. If I know the deal. I can book it at 12:01am. BTW, what TA is open at 12:01am. I like to see the TA who is available 24/7.

That would only be an advantage if you monitor 24/7 pricing on all of your customers and on your own reduce the prices or you alert each and everyone of your customer. Highly unlikely. A TA rather acts on the request of its customer, just like a Vacation Planer does.

In conclusion, I used once a TA and was unhappy. Yet I gave multiple TAs a chance through equal bidding to entice me to use a TA. None of the 'benefits' of a TA could entice me.

The most important thing for me is to be in control of my vacation. A TA can not give me that. The 50 or 100 bucks OBC or prepaid grats ain't worth it.

Just like with a Vacationer Planer you have to establish a relationship. I am not missing out at all. Well established relationship. Can't beat that.

The TA had a block booking fo cabins, so we have saved about $130 each on the RCL fare (x 2 weeks), then in adidtion to that we also got $100 on board creidt for each week for the cabin.

It is worth shopping around, and some TA's that have block bookings can give you lower prices.

Not in the US though. A TA in the US can not go below RCI advertised rates.

We have not been on RCCL for a few years and I think, in that time they have revamped their pricing strategy so that set prices apply whether you book through an agent or with RCCL directly. Am I correct in assuming that it is unlikely that you can get any real deals on RCCL, are prices pretty well fixed over time?

Also, I am not seeing that reserving a "guarantee" is an option - does this mean there is no chance of a visit from the upgrade fairy?

I am interested in a cruise in 2009 to South America and wondering if it is better to wait or do it now.

Thanks for your help

It is always good to book early. You pay a downpayment anyways and you can cancel up to 60/70 prior to sailing. The advantage: you are protected against price increases while taking advantage of price reductions.

I found no reason to ever book with a TA. The last two cruises I ran quotes through 25 TAs and my Vacation Planner.

Cruise prices were identical, some TAs offered 25 bucks OBC, some 50, some offered prepaid gratuities, some didn't respond at all. But who responded fastest? Take a guess.

:D

Comments on posting by FL_Cruiser 64

"I bet you smiled when you wrote that. A travel agent works for the travel agency. Travel is a highly competitive market. For you to state that an RCI employee works RCI but a TA works for you is laughable."

(Wait till you have a probelm and then see whom works for whom! Who do you think carries more weight; a passenger who books once or twice a year or an agency that books millions and millions of dollars of business a year? Agencies have the direct phone numbers of people who can fix things and know how to do it.)

"At RCI if you have a relationship with a Vacation Planner established I find out about deals as well. It is not limited to TAs."

(I do not disagree with your statement but again most RCCL/X phone reps do not know about the cruises to be promoted in Happy Hour until Tuesday and certainly will not call you on Thursday/Friday when the TA's get the Happy Hour e-mail notice like a good TA will.)

"I can do. It's called internet. If I know the deal. I can book it at 12:01am. BTW, what TA is open at 12:01am. I like to see the TA who is available 24/7."

(Incorrect. Happy Hour promos are typically not loaded to the agent booking engines portal until sometime after 6:30 AM, Tuesday so that is the earliest anyone can book. I am not aware of any on-line agency that makes these rates available on-line on Tuesdays but I will check on next Tuesday morning and report the results here.)

"That would only be an advantage if you monitor 24/7 pricing on all of your customers and on your own reduce the prices or you alert each and everyone of your customer. Highly unlikely. A TA rather acts on the request of its customer, just like a Vacation Planer does."

(Didn't say this was an advantage just that a good TA will also honor price reductions.)

"In conclusion, I used once a TA and was unhappy. Yet I gave multiple TAs a chance through equal bidding to entice me to use a TA. None of the 'benefits' of a TA could entice me."

(You may have had the wrong TA but probably no matter how good the TA was you probably would not relinquish control since you have stated that you would miss saving money just to maintain control.)

"The most important thing for me is to be in control of my vacation. A TA can not give me that. The 50 or 100 bucks OBC or prepaid grats ain't worth it."

(If someone needs that kind of control and wants to miss out on hundred of dollars of savings, not to mention the power a TA has when there is a problem and the knowledge a good TA has, that's your choice.)

"Just like with a Vacationer Planer you have to establish a relationship. I am not missing out at all. Well established relationship. Can't beat that."

(You are missing out(savings, experience, knowledge, problem resolution, etc) and yes, a good TA can beat that.)

rjg,

Sometimes it's not worth trying to set the record straight. When someone has his/her mind made up, nothing can change it. Obviously, Fl Cruiser has a very negative attitude towards TA's and gets great satisfaction trying to put you down.

Not all of us have that same attitude, thank God. Some people know everything without knowing a single fact.

rjg,

Sometimes it's not worth trying to set the record straight. When someone has his/her mind made up, nothing can change it. Obviously, Fl Cruiser has a very negative attitude towards TA's and gets great satisfaction trying to put you down.

Not all of us have that same attitude, thank God. Some people know everything without knowing a single fact.

Threre is nothing wrong with booking on your own, or using aTA, for which ever you prefer. My DS uses a very large well know cruise TA on east coast and always swears she is getting such a good deal. We went on the same cruise last year, we booked thru RCCL and she used the TA. Same price, same cabin class. Bookes a month apart, us first. We booked on previous cruise with platinum balcony disc., and OBC, she got nothing, and she is also Platinum. Was she p-o'd. I'll stay doing my own thing.

"I can do. It's called internet. If I know the deal. I can book it at 12:01am. BTW, what TA is open at 12:01am. I like to see the TA who is available 24/7."

(Incorrect. Happy Hour promos are typically not loaded to the agent booking engines portal until sometime after 6:30 AM, Tuesday so that is the earliest anyone can book. I am not aware of any on-line agency that makes these rates available on-line on Tuesdays but I will check on next Tuesday morning and report the results here.)

"That would only be an advantage if you monitor 24/7 pricing on all of your customers and on your own reduce the prices or you alert each and everyone of your customer. Highly unlikely. A TA rather acts on the request of its customer, just like a Vacation Planer does."

Hi rjg,

over the years I booked cruises both ways: TAs and direct with cruise lines.

Each choice has / did have advantages and disadvantages for me.

I would agree with you on most of the points that you have listed in your post ....... if I could find a TA that does all of those listed advantages ......but I doubt that there are many TAs like that.

In my experience it was usually hard to get the TA on the phone ....... and I can understand that ....... they do have many clients and they are busy. They would call me back sooner or later but that was not always convenient for me. Some did charge a fee for booking ( they might call it different 'names' - but it still was a fee ), some did or do charge cancellation fee even when done during no penalty time from cruise line.

On one booking back in april ( done through a TA) the price dropped, .....it was hard to get hold of TA and let them know about that - the TA did not notify me ..... and I can understand that, they do not have the time.

On my very last cruise (in november) which I booked on the 'Sales event' (another name for the Tuesday special ) I did contact the TA on Monday asking to book this particular cruise during this "Tuesday special", and the answer was that the TA was not sure if it can or can not be done, depending on availability - I can understand that, ........ so I did get on RCI's web site shortly after midnight on Tuesady and did book the cruise with no problem. In addition that particular TA does not book any air, so another problem for me to coordinate the air availability and price with the cruise, when booking through the TA. Directly with cruise line was a lot easier, got the reservation on hold, got the air, went back to cruise line and purchased the tickets. All done in about 30 minutes or so - was done about 1 or 1:30 AM. If I went with the TA it probably would have taken most of Tuesday.

Yes the 'Tuesday specials" or whatever they want to call them can be purchased directly shortly after midnight even that maybe it will not show up on TA's computers untill 6:30 AM.

And yes, I do agree with you, that a TA has more influance and 'power' than lonely 'me'.

I wish I could find this great TA that you have been posting about.

During the meantime there is room for both bookings: direct and TA.

Wes

Reply to weislaw:

Finding a good TA- There are more out there then you may realize. I think the better ones may tend to be in a brick and mortar operation even though you may only deal with them over the phone, even from another state, but yes they are hard to find. A good TA will foward his/her office phone to home or cell when not in the office. A good TA has a good back-up TA to handle calls when they cannot be reached. A good TA always returns calls promptly. Like all of us, a good TA is not perfect. Sorry can't give info. on a good TA. Can't break the rules.

Price reductions- You are right that it is almost impossible for a TA to track every client's booking watching for reductions, however, when a good TA spots them, they will notify the client and will promptly respond to a client who has spotted one. Just a word about price drops and a TA not being able to credit 100% of the drop when they had already given you OBC. TA's don't work for nothing and only a few prespective cruisers expect them to. If a TA had already given you an OBC or discount(other cruise lines) it often happens that the price reduction drops the commission to almost nothing or even negative since a price drop or even coupon reduces the commission. Another point for people that take the 3/4 night cruises, when the fares are dirt cheap. The commission is almost nothing already and OBC can only be purchased in $25 increments.

Posting of Tuesday specials- It has been quite a while since I checked the timing on these and assuming I remember to do so, I will check Tuesday morning on when things get posted for both a RCCL and an X already announced. I will check RCCL and X, a major internet site, and a couple of agent access sites. I will post results here. I may learn something new.

Direct Booking- If people wish to book direct they are certainly free to do so. The only thing I have ever tried to do is to ensure is that they know the benefits of booking with a good TA.

Posting of Tuesday specials- It has been quite a while since I checked the timing on these and assuming I remember to do so, I will check Tuesday morning on when things get posted for both a RCCL and an X already announced. I will check RCCL and X, a major internet site, and a couple of agent access sites. I will post results here. I may learn something new.

As promised I have checked. Sorry I wasn't up till 5:00 AM EST so I didn't check sooner.

For Royal Caribbean: As of 5:15 AM EST the Tuesday Specials were available on the public web site, direct agent access to RCL, and other agent portals. However, of the major on line travel agency web sites I checked, none displayed today's specials yet.

For Celebrity: As of 5:15 AM EST the Tuesday Specials were available on the direct agent access to RCL/X and other agent portals. However, they could not be found on the public Celebrity web site. The sailings listed under specials were not the Tuesday Specials and the regular pricing search did not show them either. The major on line travel agency web sites did not show they either.

So since the last time I checked Royal Caribbean is now making booking access available to the general public at the same time as agents. However, that does not appear to be the case with Celebrity.

Archived