Can non us citizens use express disembark?

bearswife

Wow, we booked an early flight because I thought we could use the express. I thought he could because I am a US Citiizen. Thanks:(

Perhaps you could take all your luggage at Express Disembarkation, and he could just walk out soon after. I know they let people off in colour-coded groups to control the luggage collection area. Since he won't have any luggage to collect I can't see the big deal, especially since he has all the necessary I.D., so won't cause holdups with the passport checks.

Either way, talk to NCL and see what they can do for you. Personally, I would just attempt to leave the ship with the Express Disembarkation, and see how it goes. At least get off the ship and ahead of the crowds and delays.

Ciao.

Perhaps you could take all your luggage at Express Disembarkation, and he could just walk out soon after. I know they let people off in colour-coded groups to control the luggage collection area. Since he won't have any luggage to collect I can't see the big deal, especially since he has all the necessary I.D., so won't cause holdups with the passport checks.

Either way, talk to NCL and see what they can do for you. Personally, I would just attempt to leave the ship with the Express Disembarkation, and see how it goes. At least get off the ship and ahead of the crowds and delays.

Ciao.

Thanks for your help. Good idea:D

Ciao.

This approach will not work, because foreign travelers must surrender their passports upon checking in, and do not get them back until they clear immigration upon returning to port. The OP's husband's Italian passport would need to be retrieved from the immigration officials prior to leaving the ship in the morning of debarkation. You can't simply just walk off.

My lovely DIL is a British Subject, and cruises with us frequently. Yes, she surrenders her passport, however, in the wee hours of the morning when our ship returns to the original port, she has to get up and report to one of the lounges for customs and immigration clearance while most of us, as US citizens, are just getting up.:eek: Once she's cleared, she can participate in "express" disembarkation, which she has done one at least two cruises.;)

My lovely DIL is a British Subject, and cruises with us frequently. Yes, she surrenders her passport, however, in the wee hours of the morning when our ship returns to the original port, she has to get up and report to one of the lounges for customs and immigration clearance while most of us, as US citizens, are just getting up.:eek: Once she's cleared, she can participate in "express" disembarkation, which she has done one at least two cruises.;)

Thank you, that was very helpful:D

This approach will not work, because foreign travelers must surrender their passports upon checking in, and do not get them back until they clear immigration upon returning to port. The OP's husband's Italian passport would need to be retrieved from the immigration officials prior to leaving the ship in the morning of debarkation. You can't simply just walk off.

Say what?

Maybe I should have added a little more in my post. I'm a British citizen, holder of a British passport. I also have a Alien Registration Card (Green Card). This makes my situation very similar to the OP's husband.

I recently travelled on the NCL Spirit (November 2007) - out of NY, returning to New Orleans. During the embarkation process in NY the NCL officials took a copy of my passport and ARC, and returned them to me. I retained both documents for the entire cruise. I would never hand over my passport to be kept by the cruise line. Never, ever. I kept both the passport and ARC in my room safe, and used copies for I.D. purposes on shore excursions. It worked fine with no problems.

At New Orleans, I disembarked the same time as my wife (a US citizen) and we went together through the passport control/customs area. No problems there, either. At no time was I asked to go through a separate immigration/customs process, either on board the ship or at the port.

Hope this helps, and clarifies.

p.s. still call NCL regarding your express disembarkation plan. Just to be on the safe side.

Say what?

Maybe I should have added a little more in my post. I'm a British citizen, holder of a British passport. I also have a Alien Registration Card (Green Card). This makes my situation very similar to the OP's husband.

I recently travelled on the NCL Spirit (November 2007) - out of NY, returning to New Orleans. During the embarkation process in NY the NCL officials took a copy of my passport and ARC, and returned them to me. I retained both documents for the entire cruise. I would never hand over my passport to be kept by the cruise line. Never, ever. I kept both the passport and ARC in my room safe, and used copies for I.D. purposes on shore excursions. It worked fine with no problems.

At New Orleans, I disembarked the same time as my wife (a US citizen) and we went together through the passport control/customs area. No problems there, either. At no time was I asked to go through a separate immigration/customs process, either on board the ship or at the port.

Hope this helps, and clarifies.

p.s. still call NCL regarding your express disembarkation plan. Just to be on the safe side.

Wow, getting mixed answers but I appreciate them. We wanted express because of an early flight. I called NCL and asked them, the rep didn't know???? Oh well, I guess I will ask when I'm on the ship. Thanks again!

Say what?

I would never hand over my passport to be kept by the cruise line. Never, ever. I kept both the passport and ARC in my room safe, and used copies for I.D. purposes on shore excursions. It worked fine with no problems.

Be careful who you cruise with, a number of lines give you no choice, either surrender your passport or don't cruise, and it doesn't matter if you are a US citizen, or any other, if they want your passport they get it and keep it or you stay home.

My wife is a citizen of Mexico with a Mexican passport and US B2 visa. On our November cruise (we were on the 9-day S. Carib on the Jewel if that helps) they took a photo copy of her passport and visa during the check-in process, but both were returned immediately. At the end of the cruise we used express to get off of the ship with zero difficulties through immigration and customs in Miami. I totally agree with the poster that said never surrender your passport, visa, etc to any authority other than immigration without a very good explanation. Does anyone know specifically what cruise line or under what circumstances they keep your passport and what is their justification?

My wife is a citizen of Mexico with a Mexican passport and US B2 visa. On our November cruise (we were on the 9-day S. Carib on the Jewel if that helps) they took a photo copy of her passport and visa during the check-in process, but both were returned immediately. At the end of the cruise we used express to get off of the ship with zero difficulties through immigration and customs in Miami. I totally agree with the poster that said never surrender your passport, visa, etc to any authority other than immigration without a very good explanation. Does anyone know specifically what cruise line or under what circumstances they keep your passport and what is their justification?[/quote]

That's what I'd like to know. Let's have specific details. Would the poster who mentioned the cruise line holding your passport please be kind enough to elaborate.

I can think of no justifiable reason for a cruise line 'keeping' your official government issued I.D. What if you want to use such I.D. (passport etc.) for I.D. purposes while in port? What NCL did with me seems more than adequate - take a photocopy and keep that on record, and use that to report to the local immigration/customs authorities as necessary.

Let's say, for example, you go on an excursion and return too late to the port and miss your ship's departure. Without your passport, just how do you intend to book a flight to the next port of call to catch up with the ship?

There is no way that I'll be giving any cruise line my passport. No way. Don't even think about doing it, and if they ask, refuse point blank.

My wife is a citizen of Mexico with a Mexican passport and US B2 visa. On our November cruise (we were on the 9-day S. Carib on the Jewel if that helps) they took a photo copy of her passport and visa during the check-in process, but both were returned immediately. At the end of the cruise we used express to get off of the ship with zero difficulties through immigration and customs in Miami. I totally agree with the poster that said never surrender your passport, visa, etc to any authority other than immigration without a very good explanation. Does anyone know specifically what cruise line or under what circumstances they keep your passport and what is their justification?[/quote]

That's what I'd like to know. Let's have specific details. Would the poster who mentioned the cruise line holding your passport please be kind enough to elaborate.

I can think of no justifiable reason for a cruise line 'keeping' your official government issued I.D. What if you want to use such I.D. (passport etc.) for I.D. purposes while in port? What NCL did with me seems more than adequate - take a photocopy and keep that on record, and use that to report to the local immigration/customs authorities as necessary.

There is no way that I'll be giving any cruise line my passport. No way. Don't even think about doing it, and if they ask, refuse point blank.

Even though I am the OP, I just wanted to do the express. I didn't know if my DH with a green card can do it. I never did express or needed to. However, I will have to say that a year ago I was on the Dawn out of NY and went to Nassau, they DID take my DH's Italian passport and gave it to him the night before we arrived in port of NY again. We didn't care what time we got off the ship then but this time I want to do the express because of my flight time

On both my NCL trips as a Canadian they "seized" our passports. I tried to convince them to keep only a photocopy but basically it came down to we keep it or you don't cruise.

On the Sun, we stood in line early, got our passports back then walked off the ship with our own luggage. No questions asked.

We do however travel relatively light.

On both my NCL trips as a Canadian they "seized" our passports. I tried to convince them to keep only a photocopy but basically it came down to we keep it or you don't cruise.

On the Sun, we stood in line early, got our passports back then walked off the ship with our own luggage. No questions asked.

We do however travel relatively light.

I still don't comprehend why they need to hold your passports, and have to question the justification and legality of their actions. As I said before, what happens if you get stuck somewhere and the ship leaves without you - and it leaves with your passport. Then what?

Edit: I just found a site which kinda explains this. Many cruise ships will hold your passport to expedite clearing the ship in foreign ports. Therefore, I always make a couple of extra copies of my passport to use to take ashore.

This I understand. But I'd still not be happy about surrendering my passport.

Archived