Please help with picking a cruise for us

NC66

My sister wants us to take a cruise together. It would be 2 or 3 adults depending on if my DH goes and 3 children, her two who are 17yo and 13yo and my DD who is 10yo. No flames please...we want a somewhat family oriented cruise ( you know what I mean). My family has only been on one cruise and that was a Disney cruise and my sister and her kids have never cruised before. She wants me to take care of booking everything for us all and I just don't know what to do. I would love for us all to go on a Disney cruise together but they are somewhat more expensive than some of the other cruiselines and my, DH, and DD are already rebooked from our last cruise for Nov. '08. Can anyone offer any advice? TIA!

Were I you, I would go to one of the major cruise agencies on the web and do some searches using your port of choice to see what's available when for how much.

Sounds like the kids are old enuf to enjoy most any mass-market cruise. I think that most mm cruise ships are equipped with plenty to do for kids, especially teens.

When you've done some searches and found some prices you would consider, check out the actual ships and compare amenities.

I don't know what you mean by: my, DH, and DD are already rebooked from our last cruise for Nov. '08

Does this mean you already have a cruise for your family booked? Would it be out of the question for Sis + kids to join you on that one?

I don't know what you mean by: my, DH, and DD are already rebooked from our last cruise for Nov. '08

Does this mean you already have a cruise for your family booked? Would it be out of the question for Sis + kids to join you on that one?

Sorry...yes me, husband, and daughter are taking our next family cruise in Nov. '08. No, they can't go in Nov. Well, my sister and her daughter can but her son is a senior in high school now and will just have started college at that time so he wouldn't be able to go and she wants him to be able to go also. Sorry for the confusion...and thanks for the help!

Take a look at RCCL, especially the Freedom class (Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and the soon to arrive Independence of the Seas). Tons of activities for all ages, kids, teens, and adults alike. The H20 Zone, the Flowrider, the ice skating rink, the rock climbing wall, mini golf, an expanded teen area, Johnny Rockets, Sorrentos, but also has adults only areas like the solarium with the cantilvered whirlpools and 2 specialty restaurants (Chops and Portofino).

Take a look at RCCL, especially the Freedom class (Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and the soon to arrive Independence of the Seas). Tons of activities for all ages, kids, teens, and adults alike. The H20 Zone, the Flowrider, the ice skating rink, the rock climbing wall, mini golf, an expanded teen area, Johnny Rockets, Sorrentos, but also has adults only areas like the solarium with the cantilvered whirlpools and 2 specialty restaurants (Chops and Portofino).

I agree RCCL has much more to offer as far as activities and their ships are bigger. While Carnival may be cheaper, most of their ships are just for party goers, lots of bars/lounges and dance clubs whereas RCCL has the above mentioned activities. I also would suggest the Freedom Class or the Voyager Class ships, they also have alot of activities, although they are not as big as the Freedom class, the rates can be a little less depending on the time of year.

We are looking at the Mariner in Sept and the rates are lower than the Freedom and the Mariner has alot of the same activities except the Flowrider and H2O zone but we don't have kids and I don't think I will be surfing this trip, LOL.

Good Luck.

There are many to choose from. As others have said I would look at Royal Caribbean and would add to the list Celebrity and Princess just to give you some other options. A cruise is wonderful and I am sure that everyone will have a great time on any of these cruise lines.

Keith

Hi, Can you and your sister meet up and get a list of priorities for selecting the cruise?

1) What kind of dining arrangements? Traditional seating? Open seating? Formal or buffet type dining? this varies abit from line to line and would narrow the field. What time do you like to eat?

2) Budget - Make sure you understand how much you want to spend for the cruise, the airfare or driving to a port/parking. How much do you want to spend on excursions?

3) What kind of cabin do you want? Some lines have more affordable balconies than others. You need to what category cabin to compare between the choices.

4) What kind of excursions do you want? Beach days? Snorkeling? Shopping? Historic tours? Mayan Ruins? Might make a difference in itinary.

5) What kind of entertainment onboard do you prefer? If you like to bring on wine or alcohol, RCCL probably won't work. Other lines have a more flexible policy. Big production shows are best on some lines. Comedians are found on some. Will the kids like to go to the kids progams? what do you like to do during the day, lay by the pool, trivia, afternoon tea etc.

This sounds like alot but it will help you. Disney is fairly unique in a few ways so you need to make sure you are open to some of the other lines special features. Plus I bet you could cover most of this in about 30 minutes and it would give you some details to bring back to CC for more help.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

I agree RCCL has much more to offer as far as activities and their ships are bigger. While Carnival may be cheaper, most of their ships are just for party goers, lots of bars/lounges and dance clubs whereas RCCL has the above mentioned activities. I also would suggest the Freedom Class or the Voyager Class ships, they also have alot of activities, although they are not as big as the Freedom class, the rates can be a little less depending on the time of year.

We are looking at the Mariner in Sept and the rates are lower than the Freedom and the Mariner has alot of the same activities except the Flowrider and H2O zone but we don't have kids and I don't think I will be surfing this trip, LOL.

Good Luck.

Based on my experience on a Carnival Cruise with my then pre-teen and teen children, this line is not just for partygoers. We were on the Fascination three years ago for just four nights and the kids loved it. It was during spring break, there were plenty of families with children of all ages on board and I did not notice it to be a party atmosphere unless you wanted it to be by going to the disco while the kids were in Camp Carnival. There was one group of college students who appeared to be on spring break, but their behavior was fine, and I know students who use Royal Caribbean for spring break as well.

I am taking one of my children on a Royal Caribbean Cruise this year, but would definitely cruise Carnival again if the price or itinerary were more to my liking. I have heard Carnival is more for partying on the shorter itineraries and didn't even find that to be the case, and know countless families who cruise both RC and Carnival.

Having been on both lines fairly recently, I will say the food was a little better in the dining room on RC and our particular room steward more attentive, but these differences were not significant enough to prevent me from sailing Carnival again.

Everyone has their own opinions, however.

Royal Caribbean's Voyager or Freedom classes of ships. (ie. Voyager of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas.)

RCL is good with kids.

Avoid Celebrity and HAL (for the kids).

I like Princess, but I don't know much about their youth programs. They seem, in general, similar to RCL. But not the same.

I may have been confused by your post, OP. maybe kids aren't a concern. maybe you could tell us your priorities (ie. food, entertainment, service, etc.)

We're doing Royal Carib. Mariner in February with our 9 y.o., 17 y.o. and his 17 y.o. cousin. We did Explorer two years ago and the kids loved it so we are going back. I would like to try one of the new, big NCL ships on another cruise. The smaller, older NCL ships don't have so much to offer teenagers IMHO although they did have fun on our cruise on the Dream last February.

Barb

Here's another vote for Freedom of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). We were on the ship in October, and we were completely blown away. It has everything for everyone of all ages and appeals to adults as well as kids. The ship is beautiful, the service was outstanding. I can't say enough good things about it.

i sail wherever i can get the best deal..but baring any deal s i ve gotta

recommend NCL..they re on the freestyle program..eat and dine where you want..they have their inclusive dining venue s as well as several

specialty restarauts to choose from with a nominal additonal cost..

i normally sail when there s a older mix of passenger s..but, other s that have sail d during the peek period s say that there are plentiful activitie s for all age group s..

cruiseline s all have their particular niche..i like RCCL as well as carnival..id recommend visiting all the forum s and find out what best for your family and contact a good TA to put it all together..or even contacting the cruiseline s directly..their travel consultant s

can be just as useful..

be sure to check to see if anyone qualifies for military or senior discount s during non

peek period s..

My sister wants us to take a cruise together. It would be 2 or 3 adults depending on if my DH goes and 3 children, her two who are 17yo and 13yo and my DD who is 10yo. No flames please...we want a somewhat family oriented cruise ( you know what I mean). My family has only been on one cruise and that was a Disney cruise and my sister and her kids have never cruised before. She wants me to take care of booking everything for us all and I just don't know what to do. I would love for us all to go on a Disney cruise together but they are somewhat more expensive than some of the other cruiselines and my, DH, and DD are already rebooked from our last cruise for Nov. '08. Can anyone offer any advice? TIA!

You can't pull kids out of college for vacation...lol

So either you go in the summer or at christmas. a lot of times, college spring breaks do not match up with public school breaks.

You need to figure that part out before you even think of cruiselines.

All of the mass market lines with new ships will be fine. carnival, rccl, celebrity, ncl. Just don't pick an older ship. Stick with the new ones. Look at all the amenities on each line for each ship and go from there.

Your best bet is to cruise right after he graduates from hs. Depending on where you live, some school district let out much earlier than here in ny, where we go till the end of june. You will just have to be certain the 13 yr old is finished up with her finals, if she is in session longer than the one who is graduating.

ncl has some nice new ships with lots of amenities. carnival is fun, rccl is great for teens. Her kids are too old for disney. I'd pick either rccl voyager class or freedom class. carnival and ncl will be ok too.

Archived