Fuel surcharge rebate if oil prices decline?

Beave8920

I have written a letter to CCL and have yet to receive a reply.....but like many of you, I have 4 cruises booked, two in '09, and have been charged a fuel surcharge on each of them. My question.....if oil prices decline, will CCL reduce or eliminate the fuel surcharge they imposed?

I have written a letter to CCL and have yet to receive a reply.....but like many of you, I have 4 cruises booked, two in '09, and have been charged a fuel surcharge on each of them. My question.....if oil prices decline, will CCL reduce or eliminate the fuel surcharge they imposed?

I'd be shocked if they did.

for the 09 cruises, if oil goes way down, then they will probably just rename the surcharge to something else....lol

I have a cruise booked for feb of 09. I am not expecting them to remove the surcharge. I will be quite shocked if they do.

Well since many of us technically have not paid anything yet because they charge the fee at final payment, there is nothing to rebate. (unless you paid in full earlier than required):D

But if prices go down and stay down, they may stop the charge.

But I would not hold my breath for either. :rolleyes:

:eek: Whoops Cathy......I guess that sounds kinda arrogant huh! sorry, I didn't mean it as an "in your face"......just know many CCer's have several cruises booked.....I can understand and accept the surcharge, just can't understand why they bill it so far in the future when things could change. But thanks for the feedback!

My opinion, in a word.......

NO!

I agree with the earlier poster who said they'd rename it. Oil has come down about $7 a barrel since they imposed it but I don't see it being removed.

I'll show them though! I'll have an extra dessert every day on the cruise to get my $5 worth! LOL!!!

I can understand and accept the surcharge, just can't understand why they bill it so far in the future when things could change. But thanks for the feedback!

I haven't been billed for anything yet. Just received a letter informing me that I will be billed upon final payment.

My upcoming cruise in May has not been billed yet....heck I only have the 25.00/pp deposit on it so far...LMAO :p

I haven't been billed for anything yet. Just received a letter informing me that I will be billed upon final payment.

My upcoming cruise in May has not been billed yet....heck I only have the 25.00/pp deposit on it so far...LMAO :p

I finally was billed for the fuel surcharges. Just last night both emails came, so now Im all official. The TAs are finally getting around to billing. Before it didnt seem real to me, thats probably why I was sitting on the fence, dont like it but Im sure not staying home because of it.

I finally was billed for the fuel surcharges. Just last night both emails came, so now Im all official. The TAs are finally getting around to billing. Before it didnt seem real to me, thats probably why I was sitting on the fence, dont like it but Im sure not staying home because of it.

Wow...You must be close to leaving then...when do you go? and where are you going?

My final payment is not due till February, so that is when I will be billed.:cool:

Wow...You must be close to leaving then...when do you go? and where are you going?

My final payment is not due till February, so that is when I will be billed.:cool:

No, not my final payment, just the notification they were adding the fuel surchange, NEW billing. Not even close. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my January cruise, family member very ill. The two booked cruises are far out, Conquest and Ecstasy, Sept 08 and Jan 09. They finally notified me of the surcharge last night by email lol. We are taking a friend on the Conquest and have a pretty active roll call, even this far in advance. Labor Day must be a popular date. Luckily we booked before they changed how they bill single pax so we escaped that bullet so its only $130 extra for our friend to have her own cabin on the Conquest, so I guess I should not complain.

If you had told me a few months ago, that someone would be posting asking about getting their fuel surcharge back because oil was DOWN to $88, I would have thought they were nuts. I wouldnt have believed oil could be $88 a barrel back then.

So, when are you going on your cruise that they are notifying you now about?

No, not my final payment, just the notification they were adding the fuel surchange, NEW billing. Not even close. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my January cruise, family member very ill. The two booked cruises are far out, Conquest and Ecstasy, Sept 08 and Jan 09. They finally notified me of the surcharge last night by email lol. We are taking a friend on the Conquest and have a pretty active roll call, even this far in advance. Labor Day must be a popular date. Luckily we booked before they changed how they bill single pax so we escaped that bullet so its only $130 extra for our friend to have her own cabin on the Conquest, so I guess I should not complain.

If you had told me a few months ago, that someone would be posting asking about getting their fuel surcharge back because oil was DOWN to $88, I would have thought they were nuts. I wouldnt have believed oil could be $88 a barrel back then.

So, when are you going on your cruise that they are notifying you now about?

We leave May 12th on the Fantasy!!!:p

I booked a Valentines cruise 6 months ago and paid in full and sure enough last week they called and wanted more money. I thought I should have been "grandfathered in" since I pre-paid before fuel went up. I asked if fuel went down would I get a rebate and was told it was doubtful but if it went up any further that they would eat the cost. This was through a travel agent and not CCL.

I booked a Valentines cruise 6 months ago and paid in full and sure enough last week they called and wanted more money. I thought I should have been "grandfathered in" since I pre-paid before fuel went up. I asked if fuel went down would I get a rebate and was told it was doubtful but if it went up any further that they would eat the cost. This was through a travel agent and not CCL.

I can say that I would also be PO'ed if I was you...it is mot smart PR to do that to customers who paid early and put cash into their operating funds.

Oh...it’s not over with yet. Didn’t you all hear about the $1.00 pp per day food surcharge that fixing to happen? And the daily tipping is going from $10.00 ppd to $12.50 pp per day. It goes on and on.

LOL !!!

To even think that they would consider a refund makes me ask "what boat did you get off of"?

Some post really crack me up!

Still LOL !!!

Not trying to offend anyone but I just couldn’t help it.

OUCH!! I don't know how I would've reacted to that. I was unhappy that they started charging it in the first place (isn't Fuel supposed to be part of the regular fare??) they should really just up the cost for unsold rooms and suck up the loss for the ones that were already booked. Or at least paid for. It's not that much, but for a 7 day cruise between me and my Fiance it would've been enough to stay an extra night after to extend our honeymoon. Well, back to "real life" one day sooner.

I just heard back from Carnival and they said they will be taking the surcharge away if prices of fuel goes down but they did not offer any OBC or any perks for writing to them like I have heard in other posts. I will not hold my breath! They also stated something about provisional laws in Canada that prevent them from charging the surcharge to them. Blah Blah Blah......:confused:

OUCH!! they should really just up the cost for unsold rooms ...

The pricing trend I see is that prices have dropped since the surcharge was put in. Once the surcharge is added to the price, they are about the same as they were two months ago. I'm assuming (looking for trouble here) that since the surcharge is lumped in with port charges and taxes that the agents don't get comped for it on new bookings. We pay the same, the cruise line pays a little less to the agents.

Of course it truely is more for folks who were booked b4 the surcharge.

Archived