Fuel Surcharge

RoofingPrincess

It's per person/per day, with a maximum limit. For instance, I'm on Celebrity next year and for our cruise I'm being charged for just one person, with a limit of $140 per cruise. So, if I'm on a longer cruise, and the charge per day is $7, they can't charge me more than $140 total, even if my cruise might be 30 days.

Anyone have any experience with this? Are we charged just for ourselves, or do they hit us with the full 2-person/cabin rate?

The fuel charge depends on the line. The rates for Celebrity is only for them.

I priced solo charges for an NCL cruise the other day, on the NCL site, and they wanted DOUBLE the fuel charge (i.e. the full 2-person/cabin rate).

NCL also charges MORE than double occupancy, for single occupancy; and is famous for being VERY solo unfriendly. And btw, their phone based customer service is hugely unfriendly to everyone (based on my experience).

On Carnival it's per person, not per stateroom. Why they charge me 150% for my stateroom but not 150% for the fuel charge is beyond me. Yes, yes, I know, I'm taking up a whole stateroom. To get back on track, for my 7 day next April, the big E agency that I booked with told me it would be $35 added to my bill.

Seabourn has instituted the surcharge. For 2009, it's $70 for me, for a two week cruise. No big deal, in my book, especially since Seabourn is extremely generous with single supplements; 125% this time.

I was looking to change itineraries; there was another in December of 2008 that leaves from Barbados....I love Barbados! However, they had no 125% single supplements and the 150% they did offer made the cruise $1000 more. For that reason, I'm keepin' what I have!

Jane

• 2 weeks later...

interesting enough...i have just paid my final payment for a sailing on the Queen Victoria on the 16 March through my American TA and didnt get charged the surcharge. Not that Im complaining but it didnt make sence considerring most other people are being charged ........

Archived