Just back from Barcelona - Rio

hondorner

We were in Rio, Mar 98, on our crossing, Buenos Aires to Barcelona, on Royal Princess.

I do have a "thing" about heights, so didn't take the aerial cable car to Sugarloaf.

We did go up to the Christ the Redeemer Statue, via the cog railway. There were Brazilian Military Police, most armed with sub-machine guns (machine pistols to some parts of the world), some with assault rifles, stationed along the route, to discourage local criminals, who had been preying on tourists. We had an uneventful trip up the mountain. It was a clear day, and the views were magnificent.

I thought the cathedral in Salvador was most impressive and would consider it a "do not miss". Not Catholic or particularly religious either.

Our guide in Rio hustled us to the front of the line because one of our party had a pacemaker. So we escaped the long wait that you had, but it was still an ordeal. Most people don't believe you when you tell them they need 4 hours to check in, but it's a true thing.

We enjoyed out time in Rio and hope to go back again before our Visas expire. We had no problems, and we spent 4 days there. We were careful but not paranoid.

Mo

Reread my post.

Those five were denied boarding! They did not sail, so they did not have the option of staying aboard in Rio and Recife. The ship didn't have to worry, the five were left fuming on the dock at Buenos Aires while the ship sailed away!

They missed the cruise, and I doubt insurance would cover their failure to obtain required Visas.

so sorry...later told me that had Princess....I missed that little word "had"....which made a difference in the comprehension of the text!!!!!

I would imagine that they would be fuming....but they can only blame themselves!

I am always surprised that we Americans expect other countries to accept USdollars, or nowadays sometimes Euros. Yet anyone visiting the US can buy nothing in any currency other that dollars. Canada very generously accepts our dollars but we do not reciprocate by accepting Canadian dollars. Other countries do not, especially these days, consider the US as the center of the universe. Why, then, do we?

I am always surprised that we Americans expect other countries to accept USdollars, or nowadays sometimes Euros. Yet anyone visiting the US can buy nothing in any currency other that dollars. Canada very generously accepts our dollars but we do not reciprocate by accepting Canadian dollars. Other countries do not, especially these days, consider the US as the center of the universe. Why, then, do we?

As a gesture of good will and friendliness, the border towns will accept our Canadian currency, and even more so now, with it being just about at par. We sure do appreciate the courtesy.

I've already started converting my $$ into Reals...little by little...I have 2 1/2 months to go.

I've already started converting my $$ into Reals...little by little...I have 2 1/2 months to go.[/color][/font]

Ladysail you must be a REAL shopper!!! Good luck but we will be a little late for the January Sales!!!!

I hope other travelers have found my ramblings helpful. It's my way to pay back all those wonderful folks on Cruise Critic who have been so helpful to us.

Your travel report was one of the best reads on this site. You have a great sense of humor and perspective. Keep on keeping on.

I see you are planning to sail on the Insignia out of Buenos Aires in 2008. WIfe and I just bought an apt in Buenos Aires and will be dividing our time between BA and Rio ( where we now reside). We may opt for that cruise, too. In any case I invite you to contact me when you plan to travel to BA (via tripadvisor

.com forums). I may be able to provide you with some info about that wonderful city.

Don:

Could you please tell me if there are ship's shuttles at these ports? I think you did mention there were taxis available in Recife.

Thanks.

Recife is where the ship was docked at a very industrial location. The local officials would not let anyone walk out of the docking area. It was also a few blocks from anywhere that anyone wanted to go. Therefore, the local authorities provided two, full size buses which ran on a 30 minute schedule and dropped folks off near the old city of Recife. At that location, which is actually across a bridge from the old city, there were plenty of taxis and lots of negotiation. H. Sterns also had tents set up on the pier and had their shuttle vans right on the pier, ready to run folks down to the shopping area of the new part of the city where the main Recife Sterns store is located.

We have been tempted to try the Sterns shuttles, but so far have not done so. My travel agent has used them and she says they are a great, free service. I'd love to hear a report from some others who are as inexperienced and shy as we are. Sterns is willing to spend the money; it seems a shame to waste the opportunity, even though we have absolutely zero intentions of buying any jewelry, anywhere, at any price.

Taxis and private tour vans were available just outside the terminal in Salvador. They seemed competent, but we walked.

We used the Sterns free shuttle in Manaus when we were there last year. They took us out to a lovely resort hotel which was on the river out in the suburbs. It gave us a good overall picture of what Manaus was like as a city as well as we were able to visit a lovely hotel.

When we arrived Stern's gave us a free drink in their shop, we had a quick look at their gems and then we were able to just wander off on our own. When we wanted to return back to the ship, we just hailed the driver of the mini bus or car and we were taken back immediately.

They do not put any pressure on you at all. We also used them in Rio. They organized the transfer at our hotel and took us one afternoon to their showroom. We looked at everything, the prices are horrendous, had a drink and some nibbles and then were taken back to our hotel.

I feel they can afford all the free shuttles etc. as the cost of their gems are exhorbitant and they make a huge mark up on everything they sell.

Jennie

I've already started converting my $$ into Reals...little by little...I have 2 1/2 months to go.[/color][/font]

Ladysail you must be a REAL shopper!!! Good luck but we will be a little late for the January Sales!!!!

Ha Ha....I dare say that I will find something to buy...:D I'm mainly exchanging the money for incidentals...small meals, entrance fees, taxis, tips...that sort of thing. I'm also starting to 'gather' Euros.....

Did you book your room at the Regencia Colon with the hotel?

I am going out of Barcelona on Oceania in November 08 and was also looking for a hotel to stay in.

I booked it through one of the online services. I went to as many of the travel services (Expedia, Orbitz, etc) as I could find, and compared rates. I was surprised to find they each quoted a different rate, as much as €10 or €15 difference. The lowest rate I found was through an agency whose name does not inspire confidence, "cheaptickets.com". Taking my chances, I booked through them, paid in advance to lock in the rate (which turned out to be one of my smarter moves with the lowering value of the Dollar, but that could go either way, I suppose -- I just have little faith in the economic policies of the USA right now).

When I arrived at the hotel, I had my voucher all ready to show them when they denied my reservation -- instead, I was treated like arriving royalty. Maybe "cheap tickets" does not have the same connotation in Spain...:rolleyes:

I've booked international air travel through www.cheaptickets.com and had great luck. The fares were lower than anywhere else, and as far as we could tell, the service was the same as if we had booked directly with the airlines. (One caveat: we did not ever have any major difficulties with our travels, so I don't know what the customer service levels might have been under that kind of circumstance.)

Another really good website for European hotel accommodations is www.venere.com --- we've used them a few times with good results ... and you are not locked into the hotel you choose, since you can cancel with no penalty up to a few days before arrival.

Another really good website for European hotel accommodations is www.venere.com --- we've used them a few times with good results ... and you are not locked into the hotel you choose, since you can cancel with no penalty up to a few days before arrival.

We too have used this website many times and have found them to be excellent when using European hotels.

Jennie

Thanks for the info on hotels.

I checked some of the sites and found a hotel "H10 Raco Del Pi" in Barcelona.

It is near Las Ramblas and cost $159.03 Canadian per night.

The reviews all sounded good so I booked it.

Has anyone ever stayed there?

Owl61, Dwelsh, LadySail2, Wripro and Atlanta Cruisers you all certainly do get around these boards. No telling where you will pop up.

Happy New Year!

Marion

:D :D We can run....but we can't hide......LOL !!

Happy New Year to you too!!!!

I've looked at that site too. But do your homework....I was able to book my hotel in Venice, cheaper with the hotel directly, than with Venere. It pays to compare.

It's good to have lots of resources....the ones that don't lock you into the reservation are the best. Ones that don't charge for their service are good too.

I always compare 3 or 4 sites to see what the best rate is....it takes a bit more time..but can save lots of valuable $$$ or EEE, whichever the case may be :p

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed these postings. I'm doing the Southern Sauntering TA cruise this November (Barcelona-Rio) and these postings gave me something to imagine and look forward to. Once again, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Cheers!

Enjoy your cruise! We're headed the other way (Miami/Barcelona) in March, and can't wait to get back to Barcelona and Spain. This time, we're headed down the coast to Tarragona and Valencia, then up through La Mancha (I'll be singing!) to Toledo and Madrid, then flying home from Madrid.

Archived