Religious service - Crown

amapola

Going on Crown, on the itinerary with Sunday at sea. I've seen some older Patters (from last Spring) that mention a non-denominational service on Sunday mornings. Do any recent Crown cruisers know if it's still done? And has anyone here participated in one and can tell me what it was like? I've never been to a non-denominational service :o .

Thanks!

I've been on several Princess ships, and they all have had non-denominational Sunday services, if at sea.

On those ships commanded by British officers, it is often a service related to Anglican style services. Often the Captain or Staff Captain will officiate.

On those ships commanded by Italian officers, it certainly is less Anglican, and closer to Methodist (I think), and usually conducted by someone from either the Purser's Office, or Cruise Director's staff.

There is no liturgy, but readings, hymns, and a homily.

I was on the November 3rd sailing of the Crown. On Sunday at 9:30, we had a church service. It was nice...not anything spectacular, just nice. Well worth going to if it is offered. We are going again Jan 26th. I hope it is offered then.

Janet

I was on the November 3rd sailing of the Crown. On Sunday at 9:30, we had a church service. It was nice...not anything spectacular, just nice. Well worth going to if it is offered. We are going again Jan 26th. I hope it is offered then.

Janet

There has been a church service on almost every cruise we've been on. They have been conducted by a variety of people, from Captain, Cruise Director, musician with a Christian ministry for crewmen, to an ordained minister normally working below decks, and once or twice by ordained minister (or priest on HAL) travelling onboard. There are always several readings from scripture (Old and New Testament), several traditional hymns (Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, etc), and a short homily or scripture reflection if the leader has the ministry background. In the case where the CD led the service, they provided a time for silent reflection on the readings.

There is also usually a Sabbath service for those of the Jewish faith - I don't have details on that.

Either way it is a nice way to keep God's day holy - and then going outside to see the grandeur of His creation and the vastness of the sea adds a lot more, too.

If there are ordained ministers reading this who don't mind a "busman's holiday" by leading a service, there is always an opportunity and a need - just check with the Purser's office when you get on board.

Either way it is a nice way to keep God's day holy - and then going outside to see the grandeur of His creation and the vastness of the sea adds a lot more, too.

Couldn't have said it better!

If there are ordained ministers reading this who don't mind a "busman's holiday" by leading a service, there is always an opportunity and a need - just check with the Purser's office when you get on board.

DH is a second-year seminarian, but give him a couple more years. Maybe a cruise will be a good ordination present? Hmmm.... ;)

Thanks for the info. And now of course I thought of a second question (more of a Fashion Board type question, but here it goes). What to wear? My normal day-at-sea attire is bermudas or capris with a casual knit top (not T-shirt); DH wears a polo and "manpris" or casual pants. Would that be OK or should we dress a little more?

Definitely casual attire. Our last few cruises have been at Christmas, so the cruiselines usually have a Protestant minister on the ship to lead services in addition to a Catholic priest. I think the ministers get out easy as they only have to do services on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Sunday.

We became friends with the priest on one cruise when the Protestant minister missed the ship and the priest filled in for him on Sunday. The priests usually do two masses a day--one for passengers and one for crew members.

Couldn't have said it better!

DH is a second-year seminarian, but give him a couple more years. Maybe a cruise will be a good ordination present? Hmmm.... ;)

Thanks for the info. And now of course I thought of a second question (more of a Fashion Board type question, but here it goes). What to wear? My normal day-at-sea attire is bermudas or capris with a casual knit top (not T-shirt); DH wears a polo and "manpris" or casual pants. Would that be OK or should we dress a little more?

Good question! Our service was held in the Explorer's Lounge. When we were about to enter, I realized I had normal daytime cruise attire on....shorts! The officer at the door said, "You are perfectly fine. Come on in!" Most people were in the same.

One thing I would do differently if I were in charge. I would hold the service in Skywalkers (or even outside), so that we would be able to be in the midst of God's creation while worshipping! I think that would be a powerful service!

Janet

Archived