To The Baths

paulsimm

Definitely check out the info on the Tortola Forum. You may have to do a search, since the more helpful info may be "old" (but still pertinent). Click here: Tortola - Cruise Forums - Cruise Message Boards - Cruise Critic

When you post, give your time frame (for being docked at Tortola). We did go over to the Baths on our own, but our ship did not leave until 5:30 PM. It seems that many ships are leaving earlier now. If your ship leaves before 4 PM, I would not risk doing this excursion on your own. Although we were fine (timewise), I was nervous most of the day- what if the ferry breaks down or the taxis are late, etc?

You might find info on private tour companies (which would be more reliable than the public ferries). However, I don't have any personal experiences with any of the private companies- we used Speedy's to get over and back.

• 2 weeks later...
my grandmother will be coming with us and i wonder if she'd be able to handle the baths?

She's in her 80s. Any thoughts. We wouldn't go there without her.

Unless she is in exceptional health, unfortunately this is not an excursion for her. Path down is long and very uneven, for a 80+ person it is a disaster waiting to happen.

We left our ship in the morning and walked (about 10 minutes) to the ferry, where we purchased a ticket for the 9 a.m. trip with Speedy's Ferry. The $30 round trip fare included the 30-minute ferry ride to Virgin Gorda and the 5-minute taxi ride to The Baths. Admission to The Baths was an additional $3. We spent about 2 hours exploring the caves, pools, and beaches, and then returned in plenty of time to browse in the shops on the way back to the ship.

We did the Baths on our own on our Pearl cruise. We made sure we were among the first off the ship (the ship was not cleared until 10:20) and walked very quickly to the ferry dock. Since the ferry was running a little late, we made the 10:30 a.m. Speedy's ferry and returned on the 3:30 p.m. If we had missed the 10:30, we still could have done the noon one but were happy to have some extra time. It's a great setup since the taxi is waiting for the ferry and leaves within minutes of the ferry's arrival. It picks up at the top of the Baths 30 minutes before the return ferry leaves.

If your ship is not in port most of the day I would not risk taking the ferry. If you have a full day, it's definitely worth a try.

We will be there from 11am till 8pm. Can we walk to the ferry? Are the baths doable in that time frame?

We were on the Crown and it docked about 10 minutes away from the ferry..so yes you can walk and the time frame is doable. Just be sure to check the ferry schedule when you get there for times etc.

P.s bring water shoes. you will need them!!

Enjoy your time in Tortola and Virgin Gorda!!

So am I safe in assuming that if I am in port from 7am to 5pm I have enough time to do the Baths on my own.

Absolutley. We did this excursion thorugh the ship and were disappointed with the amount of time we actually were able to spend there. A 4 hour tour allowed us only 1 hour at the baths before we had to get back to the ships pre-arranged ferry. Next visit...we will do this on our own. You'll also get there before the majority of pax do and will have ample time to enjoy the different beaches there.

Archived