How to get from Prague to Nuremberg ???

travelbug2225

We want to go to Prague before we start our Danube River cruise in Nuremberg. I would like to know how to get to Nuremberg from Prague. I plan to purchase the cruise with Gate 1 travel. I notice that they have a transfer by bus from Prague to Nuremberg. But when I check with Gate 1 travel, she told me that I can't purchase the transfer from them. I have to purchase the hotel stay with them and they want to charge me another $500.00/person for 3 nights stay.

What is the alternative I have in order to get to Nuremberg? How long it take? How much it cost? We plan to go there the end of March.

travelbug,

Try www.bahn.de (they do have an English language option). I found a train leaving Prague at 5:16 am arriving in Nuremberg at 10:09 am for 45 EUR. This is a direct train. All others you have to change at least once and the tickets are 46,10 and 84,80 EUR. You still need a cab to get from the train station to the landing at the canal.

steamboats

travelbug,

Try www.bahn.de (they do have an English language option). I found a train leaving Prague at 5:16 am arriving in Nuremberg at 10:09 am for 45 EUR. This is a direct train. All others you have to change at least once and the tickets are 46,10 and 84,80 EUR. You still need a cab to get from the train station to the landing at the canal.

steamboats

I will do this ride as well.

I was wondering ig makes sense to go for the first class seat or not.

I will do the one that has one connection(5;16 am is way to early) but i am not familiar with the trains that they use.

A frined did Passau to Prague in first class and told me that it was not worth it. he said that the trains were old.

Any advice??

mitchdew,

Forget about 1st class. It´s definitely not worth it (unless you ride the ICE). But as far as I remember from yesterday all trains were RE or similar meaning the old regional train cars. And with those cars it´s definitely not worth paying for 1st class.

steamboats

We travelled from Prague to Munich - on a train that 'split' off a section to Nuremberg. Some people had to walk the entire length of the train with luggage to get to the correct first class coach. It was an old Czech train and we did go first class. If you end up on a Czech Republic train make sure you get on the right car since not all the cars go to the same location. I think we left about 9 am.

While first class was not really first class - there was a lot of room and very few passengers. The train was so crowded by the time we reached Munich that people were standing in the very small hallways of second class. Also there was no food or water until we reached Regensberg. (About 4 hours into the 6 hour trip.) There a man with a 'dolly' went around the train selling food and drinks.

Our trip from Munich to Berlin on the ICE was a completely different story. Very nice train, with people who would bring food from the restaurant car.

• 2 weeks later...

There are numbers on your ticket which indicate where you are sitting, both by seat and carriage. On the platform there will be schematics (usually on a yellow poster board type display) which show where to stand to get into, say, carriage #2. That way, you do your slog on the pavement, not in the train! Sometimes these details are not displayed (nor is the departing track number) until 20 minutes prior to departure so just be patient and it'll be fine. But do remember that there are no porters so pack lightly and be ready to get off the train when it stops - it won't wait for you to get organized! Be sure to get seats which face the direction you are heading! If you have to leave your luggage in a communal area which you can't see, bring a bike chain to attach it to something solid - slows down a petty thief.

hybrn8,

You only find numbers of seat and carriage on your ticket if you made an advance reservation (for an extra fee of course). This advance reservation is only valid for the train you made the reservation for. So in case you miss the train (or a connection) you won´t get your money back. If you hold a reservation you have to take this seat (and can´t change it to one facing the direction you´re heading unless this seat is not reservated). There are signs on the seats in case there´s a reservation for this seat. And usually it´s saying from which stop to which stop. So in case the reservation is reading Nuremberg - Berlin you can occupy this seat in Prague. Fees for seat reservations are EUR 2 (online) or EUR 4 (ticket counter).

There is a porter service in several train stations. It´s available in Nuremberg. In case you need it ask the conductor at least one hour prior to arrival to call the porter service. It´s EUR 2.50 for the first to pieces and EUR 1.20 for each additional piece of luggage.

steamboats

Steamboat,

How can I get a taxi from the train station? I heard a lot of bad thing about taxi in Prague but I don't know anything about taxi in Nuremberg.

Are they charge you by meter rate?

Do you have any idea how much it cost?

Are they a taxi stand there at the train station?

Where I should tell a taxi to take me? Are they only one place that all the cruise line embark?

I also going to do the post cruise in Budapest? Do you know how long it take from the port to the city center area? What is the best way to get there. Maybe I should start another thread about this.

Thank you so much steamboat for your information.

I don't know about the taxis in Nuremburg but in Prague we went to the tourist booth and were told which taxis were 'honest'. We got an estimate of the cost from the airport to our hotel. When we went from the hotel to the train station we got a quote from the front desk and had them call a taxi for us. The hotel we had originally booked wanted 85 euros to arrange a car service meet at the airport. The taxi was less then half that amount.

travelbug2225,

Don´t worry about taxis in Germany. We have very strict laws. Yes, they charge by meter rate. But I can´t tell you how much it is from the train station to the cruise ship landing (I´ve never done this). Here´s a map of the central train station of Nuremberg

http://www.bahnhof.de/site/shared/de/dateianhaenge/bahnhofsplaene/bahnhofsplan__nuernb.pdf

On the top of this map there are the tracks. There are three underground passages (East, Central, West). Right at the main exit (middle) you´ll see a black square with "taxi" (in yellow). There´s a taxi lot. There´s another one at the South entrance of the train station (but forget about this). Taxis are waiting outside in line so just head up to the front one. All taxis are cream white with a black and yellow "TAXI" sign on the roof.

You should find the location of the cruise ship landing in your docs. Just show them to the driver and he´ll find it.

Here´s a link to google maps showing one of the cruise ships at the landing (there´s another one just above this one next to the bridge). The train station is close to the downtown area when you´re zooming out

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=de&ie=UTF8&q=bahnhof&near=N%C3%BCrnberg,+Deutschland&fb=1&ll=49.404202,11.071472&spn=0.00458,0.009978&t=h&z=17&*****=1

I heard that some ships do make a turn over in Roth which is more or less a suburb of Nuremberg. So check you docs as soon as they arrive.

In Budapest the river cruise ships are landing between Szabadság (Freedom) and Erzsébet (Elisabeth) bridge within a walking distance of the main shopping area of Pest, Váci utca (2 blocks away, paralleling the river). See here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=de&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=bahnhof&near=budapest&ie=UTF8&ll=47.484751,19.056827&spn=0.004756,0.009978&t=h&z=17&*****=1

Depending on where you´re hotel is located you might even be able to walk. But I won´t advise you to do so. Traffic is just horrible in Budapest. So the easiest way is to ask the reception desk to call a taxi. There might be also taxis waiting at the landing for disembarking passengers. But ask at the reception desk first. They won´t rip you off like in Prague but they still might.

steamboats

Archived