Question about days at sea

TimATL

Most cruise itineraries of southeast Asia show a day at sea between Hong Kong and Hue (Danang), between Hue (Danang) and Ho Chi Mihn, between Ho Chi Mihn and Bangkok, then no day at sea between Bangkok and Ko Samui, and then a day at sea between Ko Samui and Singapore. Are all of these days at sea necessary for travel time, or just to provide breaks between the various ports? I'm assuming it's the former, but that Bankok and Ko Samui are just close enough to not require a day at sea between them.

Most cruise itineraries of southeast Asia show a day at sea between Hong Kong and Hue (Danang), between Hue (Danang) and Ho Chi Mihn, between Ho Chi Mihn and Bangkok, then no day at sea between Bangkok and Ko Samui, and then a day at sea between Ko Samui and Singapore. Are all of these days at sea necessary for travel time, or just to provide breaks between the various ports? I'm assuming it's the former, but that Bankok and Ko Samui are just close enough to not require a day at sea between them.

Have you had a look at a map of the area, it may not look like long distances but the reality is there are. You will be cruising to 4 different countries, I've cruised that region and loved it.

We did a similar cruise a couple of years ago with Princess from Bangkok to Beijing and really enjoyed the days at sea. The ports were extremely busy and it gave us a chance to rest up between ports. I think that's why Princess inserted them. We just did the BI cruise without the days at sea and really didn't enjoy the cruise as much because we were exhausted from doing a port every day.

I think the ship could make the distance more quickly in the event of an emergency, but it is providing a vacation experience.

Charlie

It is about 575 miles from HKG to DaNang, 375 miles from DaNang to Saigon and almost 450 miles from Saigon to Bangkok (in US miles). So realistically, unless you are on the QE2 with extraordinary speed, it is about a 1 day journey between ports. And a bust butt journey from HKG to DaNang, figuring an average speed of 20 knots per hour-no stops or slowing down along the way.

The sea days you see between these ports is due to the time it takes the ship to get to each port.

With that said sea days on cruise ships are wonderful. They not only give you time to take advantage of all the ship has to offer but sometimes provide time to recharge your batteries before it is time to spend the next full day in port.

But, again, these sea days are driven by distance.

Keith

Archived