Sea Legs

Question for all past cruisers....

This past weekend I was on a pontoon boat for 4 hours, the water was not that rough, but we were bouncing around a bit. When I got off the boat, I still felt like I was boucning for quite awhile. I was not sea sick, but I did not enjoy the feeling of sea legs.

Will this happen to me on the cruise? If so, will taking Bonine help with the sea legs?

Thanks!

Renee

Hi Renee,

The only time I've really ever had an issue of still moving on land after getting off a ship was when the ship I was on was on very high seas (due to Hurricane Trudy in the Mexican Riviera). Out of 13 other cruises I've never had an issue - so I'm pretty sure it's due to the ship's movement.

Can't help you with the Bonine question as I've never taken it (I use the ear patch - has side effects, but got me through that hurricane, so it works okay for me!).

These days, cruise ships are so big and so stable the movement is next to nothing. Good luck and bon voyage!

We own a pontoon boat and they are much less stable than a cruiseship. I know the feeling of sea legs after a day on the lake! The only thing I've felt after a cruise is a little motion of the ocean. That doesn't happen after every cruise though. We carry Bonine with us, but have never needed it even in the roughest of seas. (and those were the kind of seas that made you walk like a drunken sailor without having a drink!) :D

While on the ship, you will be fine. You may feel the effects after the sailing, depending on the about of movement of the ship. For example, on the Monarch (sailing through/arund Hurricane Michelle) we felt this way for over a week afterwards. After the Rhapsody where there was some slight movement felt, it lasted about 3-4 days. After the Golden Princess and the Mariner, where basically no movement was flet on the ships, we were fine right off.

Someone gave me some good advice after we got off the Mariner this past May. Was not feeling sick, just could not get my land legs back. She said if you take a decongestant, it seems to help. I did and it did, but it was about 5 days after we got home, so I am not sure if it was the pill or time, but something worked.

Karen

The same thing has happened to me in the past. Once it was absolutely terrible. I don't usually get seasick but I do at times get landsick after the cruise. Best thing to do if this becomes bothersome is to take your sea sick meds for a few days after you get back on land, it will pass quickly.

Archived