Question for board

newro

my daughter is bringing her friend on our cruise this feb on EOS.Her parents have asked us what they should give .Frankly i have no idea if its proper to except any payment at all? Any thoughts or previous experience would be helpful!!!

It sounds as if you are treating her to the cruise.....if so, and if you intend to pay all her expenses on the ship, then maybe just some spending money for souveniers, etc. [her parents will probably give her money anyway] if they offer to pay you for part, i really don't know what to say....you could politely refuse...if they insist, graciously accept and use the money to maybe go on an excursion or have a nice dinner in the specialty restaurant....

BTW, if she is a minor, don't foget that you need a notarized letter (signed-to be safe-by both parents) saying you can take her out of the country on a cruise to whereever and that you can seek medical treatment if necessary....etc. The cruiseline may or may not ask, but there is a good chance the US DHS WILL and you don't want to NOT have it! (and if you knew that already...all the better!!)

have a great trip..

My daughter brought her friend once and was in a quad cabin with 3 of my kids. I charged her the third person rate since we were going anyways and 2 of the kids had to pay the full price anyway. Then she was responsible for her indiv tips and we took her on an excursion with us. We had 3 days in Orlando before and she also paid for her ticket to the park and we paid lodging and meals. Guess what you are comfortable with. That was my comfort level. I have enough to pay for .

If YOU invited HER, then I would assume that you are paying her fare. Her parents should provide her spending money, which can be applied to her onboard account for any purchases and arcade activities, as well as $$ for spending in port. Of course, if they WANT to pay her entire portion of the trip, then I'd let them, but that doesn't sound like the deal!

Have you thought about giving your daughters friends parents the information on the excursions you plan on taking. Let them get involved in the process by seeing what she might be doing. They will get an idea of what the costs are for for her to participate in the *extras* aside from the cruise fare. Maybe then, they will have a better idea what to send for her.

In addition to the notarized letter for taking their daughter out of the country, be sure you have required documentation such as birth certificate of passport if required.

Also, include a statement in the notarized letter that authorizes you to seek and approve any medical treatment that may become necessary during the cruise for the young woman.

Hypo

My son brought a friend on Mariner. We told the parents (and good friends) that we were planning a cruise and would like to see if it was feesable (sp)

for him to come along. They paid his air and 3rd person stateroom charge, they insisted, even when we told him we will pay for the stateroom.

We paid for his excursions and meals on the islands. He brought his own spending money. His parents felt very strongly to pay the above mentioned. He had his notarized letter and BC and everything turned out great. :)

We invited a friend of our daughter's to come along with us on a Bermuda cruise. We paid for the room. We didn't have to fly so no money was required for that. The friends parents gave her spending money and all was fine.

I invited my son's best friend for his 18th birthday cruise. I paid for the airfare, cruise fare, tips and excursions. The friend was responsible for any on-board charges (arcade, soda) and souvenirs. I felt since I had extended the invite, that was appropriate. I also realized coming from a single-parent household, the friend's mom didn't really have any money to contribute. BTW, we all had a great time.

See you on the roll call. :D

My daughters friend was fine with paying for cruise, air and tixs to the parks when we went to Busch Gardens in Tampa. Just cause she was coming along did not mean I need to pay for another child. She took up room in the small cabin for the other 2 kids. She made the fourth and I did give them the lower rates. They were fine with it since taking their daughter on a cruise would cost them triple since they would have to pay for themselves. I do not think if you invite you need to pay. Many times my sons friends call him and say do you want to go to the movies. They do not pay. It is different if his friend is over the house and I want to go and I take him , then I pay. But something pre-planned I do not pay for other kids.

Personally I agree with the thought that if you invite, then you should expect to pay. Let the parents send spending money.

This happens alot with us. We invite my daughter's friends to come, I pay. I don't ask for any money. If the parents offer (or absolutely insist) then I would accept spending money.

But I wouldn't expect it. :)

Now on the flip side, I don't let anyone pay for my child. If she goes somewhere with another family, then I always send money without asking. But that is just a pride thing I guess...lol.

Am taking two 17 y/o nieces to Bermuda in July. I set all the parameters ahead of time so everyone knew up front what I would pay and what was expected from them (may be easier to approach since my guests are family). I asked them to pick up the $10/day tips and their spending money.

Archived