Are Carnival Standards Slipping?

stevenr597

I would find that very difficult to believe. They are required to have enough life boats for every passenger/crew member. There would be no reason to cut back on lifeboats, and I just don't think they could get away with this even if they tried. I'm sure they are inspected from time to time and have to show proof of enough life boats to cover even a completely sold out cruise.

It would be disconcerting, however, to get the feeling that the crew is not properly prepared and/or trained to handle an emergency.

Your statement about the requirment numbers for life boats is incorrect google Solas it give you the current "rules".

Why do they cut down the number of l/boats, design, balconys ect, drag coefficients relating to fuel consumption etc ship now carry more pax and crew than the Tittanic but are shorter so lack of space.

The biggest l/boat carry's 150 people I dont think carnival use them, someone on here should find the l/boats capacity used by Carnival on the ship in question then do some simple maths, that is why they have other floatation equipment,

I have stated this before in the 90s my wife worked for celeb as a Maitre d her second duty was fire fighting, for which the Miami Coastgaurd tested her and certified her, she was called on to use her skills twice both times with a very brave crew they saved the ship.

The ship itself is the best lifeboat, so the will work very hard to keep pax and crew onboard .

Marks out of 20 from her this year for RCL 5 Carnival 2 she found them both lacking compared to how she was taught to run a Muster Drill, but as she stated Carnival muster drill was a disgrace, but I suppose they know there pax a lot it would seem prefer to hide in there bathrooms rather than spend a short time learning things that may save there lives.regards

As my signature indicates I have a fair amount of experience over the last 10 years (and before) in the mass market cruise industry.

My first cruise; supossedly in the "good old days" of cruising, had us in a postage stamp cabin with a bathroom so small the TOILET WAS IN THE SHOWER! Admittedly this was on the then fledgling Carnival Mardi Gras ship//

but my next cruise in the "golden age" was on the legendary NORWAY (formerly SS France) At the time this was far away considered the largest and most elegant cruise ship. Indeed it was lovely...

However neither of these ships compared with any of the modern cruise ships sailing today....and I was paying as much or MORE (at least factoring in inflation) then I am today. The service? OK, my memory may be fading, but I don't remember it as strikingly better than recent years, However I accept that with larger ships..more people....that it has suffered on the margins.

My view is that when you factor in the low prices, the beautiful multi-activity and facility mega ships, and in Carnival's case; roomy modern cabins even in the lower categories...cruising is a HUGE vacation value.

That being said; I will be closely monitoring the situation on the Freedom next month; and report back.

Mitch

Your statement about the requirment numbers for life boats is incorrect google Solas it give you the current "rules".

Why do they cut down the number of l/boats, design, balconys ect, drag coefficients relating to fuel consumption etc ship now carry more pax and crew than the Tittanic but are shorter so lack of space.

The biggest l/boat carry's 150 people I dont think carnival use them, someone on here should find the l/boats capacity used by Carnival on the ship in question then do some simple maths, that is why they have other floatation equipment,

I have stated this before in the 90s my wife worked for celeb as a Maitre d her second duty was fire fighting, for which the Miami Coastgaurd tested her and certified her, she was called on to use her skills twice both times with a very brave crew they saved the ship.

The ship itself is the best lifeboat, so the will work very hard to keep pax and crew onboard .

Marks out of 20 from her this year for RCL 5 Carnival 2 she found them both lacking compared to how she was taught to run a Muster Drill, but as she stated Carnival muster drill was a disgrace, but I suppose they know there pax a lot it would seem prefer to hide in there bathrooms rather than spend a short time learning things that may save there lives.regards

Technically you are correct and I appreciate you pointing that out. But every passenger and crew member must be provided some means of getting off the ship safely.

From the US Coast Guard Web site:

Coast Guard and international regulations also require a notice to be posted conspicuously in each passenger cabin or stateroom. The notice explains the following: How to recognize the ship's emergency signals (alarm bells and whistle signals are normally supplemented by announcements made over the ship's public address system); the location of life preservers provided for passengers in that stateroom (special life preservers for children will be provided, if necessary, by the room steward); instructions and pictures explaining how to put on the life preserver; and the lifeboat to which passengers in that stateroom are assigned. (Note: Passengers need not be alarmed if they discover that the total number of person's on board a cruise ship (passengers + crew) exceeds the total capacity of the ship's lifeboats. Modern cruise ships carry a variety of survival craft. Passengers are invariably assigned to lifeboats or similar survival craft. The total capacity of all the survival craft on board will exceed the total number of persons on the vessel).

If you guys want to see bad service and horrible food sail - Costa in Mediterranean. It is also a great way to LOOSE weight. The meals were so bad that i actually ended up lighter than before we boarded. As they say- everything is in comparison. After that cruise, I will never complain about Carnaval again

I hate to hear that you had a bad cruise experience, especially since you are such avid cruisers! We just got back in September from our 3rd cruise, a 7-day on the Valor, and it was just AWESOME! They are definitely not slipping on that ship! We had the greatest cabin steward ever, and our wait staff in the dining room called us by name every night after the first night! We took my sister and her husband with us for their first cruise, and were pleasantly surprised at the service, because it has seemed to just get better with each cruise! The entertainment staff seemed so much friendlier, and even the photographers got to be familiar with us and joked around with us. It was simply a great vacation, especially for the price. We aren't Platinum members yet (but we're working on it!), but we hope our next cruise (in March) is even better!

Technically you are correct and I appreciate you pointing that out. But every passenger and crew member must be provided some means of getting off the ship safely.

From the US Coast Guard Web site:

Coast Guard and international regulations also require a notice to be posted conspicuously in each passenger cabin or stateroom. The notice explains the following: How to recognize the ship's emergency signals (alarm bells and whistle signals are normally supplemented by announcements made over the ship's public address system); the location of life preservers provided for passengers in that stateroom (special life preservers for children will be provided, if necessary, by the room steward); instructions and pictures explaining how to put on the life preserver; and the lifeboat to which passengers in that stateroom are assigned. (Note: Passengers need not be alarmed if they discover that the total number of person's on board a cruise ship (passengers + crew) exceeds the total capacity of the ship's lifeboats. Modern cruise ships carry a variety of survival craft. Passengers are invariably assigned to lifeboats or similar survival craft. The total capacity of all the survival craft on board will exceed the total number of persons on the vessel).

Thank you, I also stated that, "that is why they provide other forms of floatation devices" the first form is your lifejackets.

It is a mute point anyway because lifeboats rely on a sinking that does not involve listing, or say a force 8 plus high sea's, conditions we have been in in the med a few times when the only thing most pax and crew could launch was vomit.

I suppose our thoughts are, are we comfortable with the design of the Ship reducing the number of lifeboats.

I am as a man because "women and children first" should apply if the Crew can keep control.

The Ship itself is the best lifeboat.

But I worry after the Muster on Carnival, as the original poster stated and other "seasoned" cruisers have, which seems to be valid when you read the posts on skipping muster drill.

It is the info I gained from my wife and a number of Safety Officers that stopped me from being blase.

It is the commitment of the crew which includes people who may have just arrived for the first time on any ship to stand firm and help save other lives rather than there own, so it is down to training or the lack of it.

My wife did it twice.

On both cruises of the Carrib RCL and Carnival, we did not see a crew drill,

I asked the question do they happen?

Kalo Taxidi.

We're on Princess in February and then doing out first land vacation in years this summer. Even contemplating an all inclusive or some kind of land vacation after that.

2 years ago there was no thinking of land vacations. It was cruise, cruise, cruise.

Our last 2 or 3 cruises on CCL dining was not something I looked forward to as in the past. It seems they have cut the staff to the bone in the dining rooms making the waiters and their assistants run around like crazy. There were long pauses in between courses, food was lukewarm at best some nights.

These guys were working their butts off, sweating, which isn't good when they are leaning over the table serving your food.

If you want cheap that's what happens. :(

Bill

Ditto, to this... Up until a few months ago, DW and I were all about cruising, but decided we wanted to spend more time in one location, so a land vacation it is... What with all the cruiselines are doing to keep from having to raise prices, it really does put a strain on the crew, and it shows!

You get what you pay for!! :cool:

Thank you, I also stated that, "that is why they provide other forms of floatation devices" the first form is your lifejackets.

It is a mute point anyway because lifeboats rely on a sinking that does not involve listing, or say a force 8 plus high sea's, conditions we have been in in the med a few times when the only thing most pax and crew could launch was vomit.

Well, the quote from the Coast Guard said "other like survival craft." I would be a little worried if my "like survival craft" was only a life jacket. Doesn't seem like a lifejacket would suffice US Coast Guard inspection, but I certainly do not know their criteria. Throwing a bunch of passengers into the ocean in their life vests only could hardly be considered a lifesaving endeavor, particularly in cold or stormy climes. Of course the ship itself would be the best lifeboat, but there have been times where cruise ships have sunk. Probably very unlikely of course, so probably a moot point as you mentioned.

Ditto, to this... Up until a few months ago, DW and I were all about cruising, but decided we wanted to spend more time in one location, so a land vacation it is... What with all the cruiselines are doing to keep from having to raise prices, it really does put a strain on the crew, and it shows!

You get what you pay for!! :cool:

I agree with you. Cruising is nice, no doubt, but I can't imagine ONLY cruising for every vacation. To each his own, though, some people live to cruise and love every minute of it.

To especially the OP and others who posted Pros and Cons...Before leaving the ship did any spend the time to fill out the Comment Card(s)?

Maybe, just maybe, Carnival will read the comments and work to improve on the Cons that are mentioned.

I just returned from the Freedom and ended up filling out two cards. Both had very positive comments since we were so happy with our cruise but nothings wrong with including the negatives if there are/were any.

Well, the quote from the Coast Guard said "other like survival craft." I would be a little worried if my "like survival craft" was only a life jacket. Doesn't seem like a lifejacket would suffice US Coast Guard inspection, but I certainly do not know their criteria. Throwing a bunch of passengers into the ocean in their life vests only could hardly be considered a lifesaving endeavor, particularly in cold or stormy climes. Of course the ship itself would be the best lifeboat, but there have been times where cruise ships have sunk. Probably very unlikely of course, so probably a moot point as you mentioned.
Do you think the coastguard would allow a ship to sail without the required number of lifejackets per cabin the answer is no, so it is the first form of flotation device, that is why you put it on before you attend the drill, A flotation device helps you float be it a l/boat, raft, etc or a PFD.

Your other comments are puerile regards

Do you think the coastguard would allow a ship to sail without the required number of lifejackets per cabin the answer is no, so it is the first form of flotation device, that is why you put it on before you attend the drill, A flotation device helps you float be it a l/boat, raft, etc or a PFD.

Your other comments are puerile regards

Wow, you sure are a GOF! Where did I say the Coast Guard would let a ship sail without the required number of lifejackets?! Nowhere. I am disputing your insinuation that a lifejacket is considered a survival craft. It is the first form of flotation device, so what. It is a flotation device, not a survival craft, so if you are stating that lifejackets are counting as lifeboats, I find that impossible to believe. But who knows what you mean, your posts are so poorly written that it's difficult to figure out exactly what you are saying.

Hope your day gets better.:)

My wife and I are Plantinum Concierge Class members of Carnival and we, with a large party, recently completed the December 8th sailing of the Carnival Imagination. We have cruised on Carnival 4 times in the last 6 months and we have begun to feel that the product that Carnival is offering has begun to slip. Here is our evaluation of our latest cruise on the Imagination.

Pros:

1) The refurbishment of the ship was superb. Our suite was awesome. The cabin steward excellent

2) The night club and the two Las-Vegas style shows were among the best we have ever seen.

3) The staff in the dining room was excellent.

4) We took the botanical gardents and Falls tours in Jamaica. Excellent day

5) Shopping in Grand Cayman was fun. Tendering was orderly, with little wait.

6) The new terminal in Miami was great. Being VIP members, we were on the ship within 30 minutes of entering the Terminal

7) The adults-only 'Serenity' section of the ship was very enjoyable.

Unfortunately the cons:

1) The ship was way, way overloaded. It does appear that Carnival is "packing the guests in"

2) For the first time in all of our cruising, the life-boat drill left us alarmed. It appeared that the crew was not sure of which life-boat station our mustering group was to go to in case of emergency. I do question whether there were enought life-boats for everybody.There was a 15 to 20-minute silent pause in the drill before they announced our group's station.

3) The lines for breakfast and lunch on the Lido Deck were the longest we have ever encountered. It was not unusual to have to wait for over 30 minutes

4) It does appear that Carnival is trying to make money in any way possible. At the shops there were constant raffles, sales, and "extras" to entice crowds into the stores (although in most instances these individuals did not buy anything

5) While we like to have our photograph taken on formal night, the photographers were constanting setting up stations on every night of the trip. Because of this, in many instances we were unable to use the grand staircase during the evening because of the photographers. Everytime we got off the ship or tender there would be the photographer calling out to you. In the dining room we were approached several times every evening for photographs

6) I do feel that the quality of the food, especially on the Lido Deck is declining.

7) The ship was not completely ready after Dry Dock. They were having problems with the Pizza ovens, and the deli counter was not set up.

8) Some of the staff were at times surly.

9) The cruise director, Jorge, was funny at the Welcome Aboard Show but cool and impersonal when greeting us at the Captain's Cocktail party. My wife wanted to say something briefly to him, but he made no eye contact and her words went unheard. This was not the case on any other Carnival cruise.

Although Carnival is not of the class of Princess or Celebrity, they have a reputation for offering a good product for the money. My wife and I used to kid that Carnival was the "Target" of the cruise lines. However I do feel that they are becomming the Wal-Mart of the industry.

We came from a far country to cruise with Carnival Cruise.We too think the standards are low especially their behavior which we belive says that money is their god. we felt cheated.

We came from a far country to cruise with Carnival Cruise.We too think the standards are low especially their behavior which we belive says that money is their god. we felt cheated.

How did Carnival compare in Price with any other cruises you enquired about that and what were your reasons for choosing Carnival over other cruiselines in your Choice?

Yes I remember your post. You said you flew from a far country and then Carnival changed the itinerary because they refused to cruise into a storm.:(

Bill

We came from a far country to cruise with Carnival Cruise.We too think the standards are low especially their behavior which we believe says that money is their god. we felt cheated.

Without being rude or mean, I would have to say, sail on RCCI, Princess, NCL, or some other that meets your expectations.

Carnival has always done great for my DW and I.

I do question whether there were enought life-boats for everybody.

In the united States, the US Coast Guard is responsible for making sure that the proper type and number of lifeboats are available and kept in good repair on any large ship. "Lifeboat drills" are a part of a cruise experience.

Inflatable lifeboats, may be equipped with auto-inflation (carbon dioxide or Nitrogen) canisters or mechanical pumps. A quick release and pressure release mechanism is fitted on board ships so that the canister or pump automatically inflates the lifeboat, and the lifeboat breaks free of the sinking vessel.

796px-Amandine33.jpg

In the united States, the US Coast Guard is responsible for making sure that the proper type and number of lifeboats are available and kept in good repair on any large ship. "Lifeboat drills" are a part of a cruise experience.

Inflatable lifeboats, may be equipped with auto-inflation (carbon dioxide or Nitrogen) canisters or mechanical pumps. A quick release and pressure release mechanism is fitted on board ships so that the canister or pump automatically inflates the lifeboat, and the lifeboat breaks free of the sinking vessel.

796px-Amandine33.jpg

Cool...thanks for the explanation. I always wondered how those things worked!!!

I have been saying for a while they are Walmart:) .

As a platinum member myself and taking 3 CCL cruises this year already,I am not too happy with how it has gone downhill either.I like the cheap cruises,but cheapening the product does not do well. The crew just needs to be paid a salary now.

The sales of eveything are too much.

I just resort to complaining about everything now that I stack up a pretty good OBC now.

Welcome to Walmart:)

Bill We wanted C.C.to sail into a storm. C.C.knew about the storm and did not notify us. We would have canceled the cruise without penalty as is written in their contract.I said that time and again but it is to hard for you to understand.Read it slowly it might help you.

Yes I remember your post. You said you flew from a far country and then Carnival changed the itinerary because they refused to cruise into a storm.:(

Sorry Bill a mistake .We did not want C.C.to sail into the storm.Sorry about that.

796px-Amandine33.jpg

You are correct, and of course if you have to get in any inflatable lifecraft (apart from the Rfd marvin-ark and some of the davit launched l/c's) and as you do not know what you will be sent to, this may require a sea entry so as I think you agree you get your first defense against drowning is your life jacket, the first and most important piece of safety equip onboard. I am going to try to link a very good article by the BBC

www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2h2/A28505324 regards

Sorry Bill a mistake .We did not want C.C.to sail into the storm.Sorry about that.

I understood what you said in your first post, as we traveled from the UK I would have thought that we would have been informed by phone if a major change happened for any reason. to allow us a choice go or cancel, so I agreed with you.

I also stated that some of the posts that were less than kind to you were a disgrace to guests in their country, when they should take into consideration that English may not be your first language, so I congratulate you on your language skills.

We have sailed once with Carnival and we will not use them again, and we wish we had taken notice of a number of op's that had posted reviews that transpired to be factual to us, but we were convinced by the Carnival cheer leaders not to cancel.

Tery my wife is Croatian and speaks 7 languages, what is your country?

Regards from the U K

Archived