El Segundo Area

socialworker

We're booked into a Marriott Courtyard in El Segundo for one night, pre-cruise. Is this in a decent area? Or, should I head to the port area, San Pedro, for a hotel?

Thanks for your help.

El Segundo is basically an industrial area. IMO, you should reconsider and go with San Pedro (which is industrial close to the port, but then you'll be close to the port) or Long Beach.

I agree with Cuisin Chick. If you will arrive early the day before so you have time to see the area that you are staying I would stay in Long Beach. From there you are about a 20 minute drive the next day to San Pedro. There are many things to do in Long Beach. If you won't have much time then just stay in San Pedro.

Keith

Are those oil thingys still there (it's midnight' date=' I can't think of what they're called)?[/quote']I believe the technical name is oil thingamajig. :D All I can say is, they were there when I took the picture, and the picture is from this year (I don't remember the month - but I can check when I get home if you want).

I believe the technical name is oil thingamajig. :D All I can say is, they were there when I took the picture, and the picture is from this year (I don't remember the month - but I can check when I get home if you want).

You're not home? I'm tired and going to sleep. Have a safe drive home.

Okay...let me bring a little perspective to this...

El Segundo is really not as bad as this all sounds...

Yes, it is largely industrial...and yes, it's number one industry is OIL...

In fact, the name "El Segundo" is Spanish for "The Second"...

The name comes from its founding...as "the second" Standard Oil Company of California oil refinery site, the first being up in the Oakland area...

The town is immediately south of LAX, so, in Cuizer's photo, you will note that the industrial buildings in the foreground are actually airport-related...the stuff in the background is all of the oil stuff...

In between is the "town" largely blue collar housing...

There is one main commercial street--Sepulveda Boulevard (which, if I'm reading the photo correctly, is on the right side of the photo...

There are a number of businesses, a few moderate hotels and some shopping and restaurants...

It is a decent place to stay just for a night if one wants to be close to LAX for an early flight...

Otherwise, most people who stay in hotels here are there for business--doing business with one of the many companies located in the area...

There is really not a lot to see or do in the immediate area...

If you are on your way TO a cruise, much better to get the drive over with and stay closer to port in San Pedro or Long Beach...

If you have several days in the area pre- or post-cruise, better to stay in an area more convenient to tourist sites and more amenable to leisure and relaxation (Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Venice, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Universal... or Anaheim--if going to Disney).

But, if you are merely staying the night immediately before flying out, El Segundo is okay...You can get a reasonably priced room, a chain restaurant dinner, a good night's sleep and a short ride to LAX...

As usual I agree with what Bruin Steve has said.

We have stayed in El Segundo before due to the need to be near the LAX airport. The town was fine. Better in my opinion than places such as San Pedro, but again good if you want to be near LAX.

If you are taking a cruise out of the Los Angeles Cruise Ship Terminal I prefer Long Beach.

Keith

You're not home?
I am now.

The photo was taken on March 30, 2007 at 7:44am. I have a whole series of photos from that take off (the photos were take as the jet was taking off from LAX) which I can post if you want to see them (El Segundo is such an exciting place to view).

Last time I was actually in El Segundo was for a halloween party at a co-worker's apartment building. To give you an idea of how long ago that was, the Raiders were the L.A. Raiders and a few of them lived in this building, and were at the party. I was dressed as an office goddess (I was an office manager at the time), complete with tulle, tiara and wand. I touched one of the football players with my wand and the next day he had a great game (I think he caught some receptions and score some tds). This is a true story.

Last time I was actually in El Segundo was for a halloween party at a co-worker's apartment building. To give you an idea of how long ago that was' date=' the Raiders were the L.A. Raiders and a few of them lived in this building, and were at the party. I was dressed as an office goddess (I was an office manager at the time), complete with tulle, tiara and wand. I touched one of the football players with my wand and the next day he had a great game (I think he caught some receptions and score some tds). This is a true story.[/quote']So, are you saying you should only go to El Segundo dressed as an office goddess around Halloween?

Thanks for your insights; that's the beauty of CC. We are scheduled to arrive in LAX on Sunday at 4:00 pm, but since we're flying out of Chicago in January, it's anything can happen time. Fortunately our cruise leaves San Pedro on Monday at 5:00 pm, so we should be okay, timewise. This is why I wasn't putting too much emphasis on where we stay for that night. But, I will now cancel our El Segundo hotel and book some place in Long Beach.

Archived