Mutiny at Sea?

advocado

as they splash the airways and print media with these glorious, positive (and never negative) wonders which come with the cruise 'experience' ... then they are not communicating very well when stuff goes sideways!
Well, disclaimers regarding weather and other "outside our control" factors appear online and in the "Know Before You Go" booklet and the cruise contract. They knew or should have known that weather could cause delays or missing ports entirely. If pax don't care to read the information, then tough noogies.

Ahoy!

What a circus that must have been. I wonder if someone filmed it and will post on you-tube. I liked this paragraph:

“There was a big shouting match with the captain,” she said. “One passenger was telling everybody he was captain of a yacht back home.” He stormed the bridge with Google Earth printouts, she said, and demanded to show the captain how to navigate around the storm.

To the BRIG!

The 'Me' generation is at it again (unfortunately, I'm a member of that generation). I hereby apologize for the 'idiots' in my generation.

Bon Voyage, Good Health & Happy Holidays!

Bob:)

not so fast Greg

the home office is in charge:eek:

just ask any captain, HotMan, or GRM

if you have enough persons complaining about something (a missed port is a "biggie") and enough complaints are filed (or better yet a thread starts up on CC or some other board), you can just about be guaranteed the home office will be "calling" directly to speak with the Master

what is really amazing, and totally perplexing IMHO, is the "power" the customer has over the crew on board ..

want a "free" bottle of wine? just mention your "posting name" to an officer and sit back and watch the results .. looking for a credit because of a/c or any mechanical problem, yell loud enough, threaten to go "public" and then look under your door for the envelope

quite frankly, the whole thing situation is "sickening" ..

don't blame the lawyers when the inmates can get away with running the asylum .. blame the CEO and others for allowing it

I beg to differ.

The home office may "influence" a captain or make "suggestions" but in any court of law it is the captain who is responsible. The decisions are ultimately his.

As for your other points; I agree that too many people take advantage of things and act in a totaly uncivilized mannor at times but just ask anyone who operated a business that deals with the public about the value of customer relations. A bottle of wine is cheap compared to the cost of battling bad publicity. Is it right? Is is "fair"? Probably not but it is the reality of the society in which we live.

Don't blame the CEO for trying to run a good company that has positive public relations and a solid bottom line. That is a CEO's job description!

Jim

The passengers getting $250 for their trouble and missed ports was more than fair. But they also got 50% off a future cruise! :eek: Do you really think Princess would have been so generous had there not been a mutiny? I, for one, do not. :rolleyes:

I don't know, Ruth. The port cancellations occured in two separate clumps due to two different typhoons. According to Ms. Spenser-Brown, passengers took the first clump ( Viet Nam) in stride reasonably well. The second clump ( Taipei and Okinawa) resulted in 4 out of 6 ports being missed during the first 9 days of this cruise. And on the 10th day, Princess gave all passengers the $250 OBC and 50% of a future cruise. Not bad, considering the time differences and all.

It seemed the "mutiny" sort of coincided with compensation.

Ms. Spenser-Brown made no bones about how Princess did not create more activities to fill the endless days at sea and made a production out of napkin -folding class that was offered. It seems to contradict other statements made about sea conditions, near impossibility of walking without clutching handrails, showering at one's own risk and outside pool and deck closures. Did she perhaps expect the wait staff to twirl plates, on a stick?

She did however, say that the evenings were jammed with activities, albeit some were very crowded. Welly, golly gee-wix, crowded is what happens on a ship that size.

I am not sure what could be reasonably expected under the circumstances. It's not like they can fly in additional crew or entertainment. Given the mood, not having an open bar may have been a the best call of all.

This whole deal reminds me of Arzz's South America cruise on the Prinsendam, early this year. Her experience was reported live and my sense was that the weather and sea conditions on that cruise were substantially worse than what happened on this Asian cruise. My sense was that those passengers felt grateful to the Captain and crew for their lives. There were certainly no reports of anyone complaining Bingo was cancelled.

And then, of course this takes me back one of the roughest sails ever, your own, where you endured days of hell-o and would have been thrilled to fold a napkin, somewhere stable.

About the only thing I can conclude is that its risky to market relatively inexpensive exotic cruises to the masses. Just think, in only 23 days, Princess sets sail on a mass market world voyage. Let's just hope that all those who want more than two lobster tails for dinner, obtain them or all hell-o is going to break loose.

Holy cow! What do these people think? A typhoon is nothing to scoff at. So they missed some ports. I know that's disappointing, but geez people ... safety has to come first.

I was not at all surprised at Ms. Brown's comment that, "First there was a group of what I’d call rabble-rousers, led by a lawyer." :rolleyes:

Hey, now! :(

Originally Posted by jhannah viewpost.gif

Holy cow! What do these people think? A typhoon is nothing to scoff at. So they missed some ports. I know that's disappointing, but geez people ... safety has to come first.

I was not at all surprised at Ms. Brown's comment that, "First there was a group of what I’d call rabble-rousers, led by a lawyer." :rolleyes:

walk-the-plank.jpg

Hey, now! :(

Q: And doctor, do you recall approximately the time that you examined the body of Mr. Huntington at St. Mary's Hospital?

A: It was in the evening. The autopsy started about 5:30 P.M.

Q: And Mr. Huntington was dead at the time, is that correct?

A: No, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was performing an autopsy on him!

Missed ports happen frequently, almost always due to weather, so if someone cruises and there's a hurricane or typhoon, I fail to see where that is the cruiseline's responsibility to "make good" to the passengers. I think Princess made a mistake giving in to the rabble since it sets a precedence. Now, if people book a cruise in the Caribbean in September, for instance, and a hurricane causes them to cancel several ports, passengers will expect equal compensation.

Archived