Maiden Voyage

Gallivanting Souls

My Family all went on the maidian voyage on the Crown out of New York. Had a wonderful trip! The ship was full, the weather was great, and everyone was happy. They didn't have extra charge for santuary. We didn't notice any "new ship" problems and everything seemed to run well. It was great to have all new furniture and linens. At the end of the cruise, we found a nice crystal candy dish in our room with the ships name and date engraved on it. Nice touch. Also...the price for the cruise was very reasonable. Since we're past cruisers with Princess, they sent us a flyer about the cruise. Hope I answered your question. I'd go in a heartbeat.;)

It is my understanding that when a new ship enters service, the staff is drawn from experienced crewmembers throughout the rest of the fleet. Some of the staffers may be newbies, but most are experienced.

By drawing a small number of experienced staff from each ship, the new hires that replace them are spread around the fleet. You never see an entire crew of newbies.

I believe that a new ship also creates promotion opportunities. That is, someone who is an assistant waiter on one ship, may get a change to be a full-fledged waiter on the new ship. Again, this means that your waiter or room steward is likely not just hired off the street.

Did maiden voyage on the Grand, in l998, Istanbul to Barcelona. We actually booked the 3rd cruise and ended up on the maiden voyage.

So sometimes ships are not delivered on time. The Grand was so late they were still carpeting areas when we boarded.

We did not think the decor in the diningroom look finished. Service was so so.

I would not do a maiden voyage again, would rather wait til ship in service at least 6 months to a year, that's my opinion.

If you do a maiden voyage, try to crash the "press party", we did by accident on the Grand. It was on the first day and port of debarture. It was held in the disco and was very nice and much better than the Captain's Welcome Aboard party the following day for passengers. Princess was definitely trying to impress the press.

We also received a model of the ship at the end of the cruise.

In all ports there were fire boats and lots of people waiting to see the ship because it was so big at the time.

The joke aboard was the largest building in Istanbul sailed whent he ship left.

If you have never done a maiden voyage go for it, once you have then you can decide whether to do again or not. :)

We actually booked the 3rd cruise and ended up on the maiden voyage. So sometimes ships are not delivered on time.

:( We were booked on the Coral Maiden to Panama Canal back in November 2002 (?) and 1 week before leaving were told that the ship wasn't ready...:mad: Something to do with some inspection papers not received... We were devastated!! Princess gave us a credit towards a future cruise, and we ended up booking last minute on Celebrity...

So I don't think it's rare that ships aren't ready on time! If you're set on leaving at that particular time, you may consider a firmer option!!

MC

We were on the Emerald Princess maiden voyage. It is the most memorable cruise we've taken. I don't think anything will ever come close unless it's another maiden voyage to a unique destination. Passengers on that first cruise received an emerald green paperweight and free internet. There were a few minor problems - service in the dining room the first couple nights was slow. Everyone worked very hard to make sure we had a wonderful time. I'd love to take another maiden voyage!

I was fortunate enough to be on the Maiden Voyage of the Liberty of the Seas this past May. Not sure about Princess however RCCL went all out.

Upon checking in each person was given a backpack with a photo of the ship and the dates of the voyage. On the 2nd night we were given maiden voyage canvass tote bags. 3rd night we were each given Liberty of the Seas hats. 4th night we returned to our room to find a photo album of the ship. 5th night we were given a 8x10 Certificate signed by the Capt and 8X10 photo of the ship in a presentation album stating that we had sailed on the maiden voyage of the Liberty of the Seas. On our last night each passenger received a Week in Review Cruise DVD. And we got to sail on a brand spanking new ship. All and all it was a week to remember.

:( We were booked on the Coral Maiden to Panama Canal back in November 2002 (?) and 1 week before leaving were told that the ship wasn't ready...:mad: Something to do with some inspection papers not received... We were devastated!! Princess gave us a credit towards a future cruise, and we ended up booking last minute on Celebrity...

So I don't think it's rare that ships aren't ready on time! If you're set on leaving at that particular time, you may consider a firmer option!!

MC

Marie-Claude....

Dido.

We were booked on the Coral maiden voyage as well and got bumped.

Our TA tried to get us on another ship for that day from FLL so we would'nt have to "eat" our airfare as well, (booked ourselves) but we passed on that. Ended up sailing the Island Princess to the Panama Canal a year later. You do take your chances booking the maiden voyage. If airfare has to be involved for your trip, book it as crusie/air to be safe.

Also, we did the 3rd sailing on RCCL Voyager and they were still painting on the inside areas during the cruise. Wet paint signs everywhere.

We did NCLs Jewel maiden voyage (not really, she had done a few short cruises) but it was her first time crossing the Atlantic. I am sure our cabin had never been used. Of all the cruises we have done, and we have cruised a lot this was the best. The ship just sparkled, the crew was the best from all other NCL ships, the itinerary great and the food great. I just can't say enough about it. The only problem, as others have mentioned, sometimes little glitzes need to be worked out. WE didn't even have that problem.

Nita

I've never booked a maiden voyage, and doubt that I would book one.

I would prefer to wait until the ship has been out six to nine months, letting the crew familiarize themselves with the ship, and letting the bugs/kinks get worked out.

We have booked the 11-15-08 maiden voyage on the Ruby Princess and are excited about it. For better or worse it will be a first for us and we have 26 cruises with Princess alone. I know it could be late on being ready to sail and I thought you would get some kind of compensation for being bumped last minute. Celebrity bumped us 4 months in advance and we had enough time to replan that week with out any compensation. I would like to think after final payment the cruise line would do something for you?? What happened to the full refund and a free cruise to make up for their poor planing?

Archived