drinking the water in dubai

commonsense2

i thought of this after reading the 'what to eat in egypt' thread, but didn't want to hijack that thread.

pre cruise i'll be staying in a newly constructed, 4-star hotel in dubai for a couple nights. should it be safe to drink the water there? needless to say i'll drink bottled when i'm out and about. thanks!

I would recommend drinking bottled water whenever you are outside the country. And, we do not get ice either as that defeats the purpose.

Keith

i've drank the water in many, many countries from mexico to croatia and quite a few in-between. even from the public fountains in rome. maybe i've been lucky. i thought there might be something endemic to the middle east that should be avoided. i'll certainly avoid any and all non-bottled water when in egypt.

We will always drink bottled water in any country we visit and that is what folks in the medical field will tell you as well. I would consider yourself fortunate. I think the analogy is being out on the golf course in a thunderstorm. You might not get hit but all it takes is one time.

Keith

i've drank the water in many, many countries from mexico to croatia and quite a few in-between. even from the public fountains in rome. maybe i've been lucky. i thought there might be something endemic to the middle east that should be avoided. i'll certainly avoid any and all non-bottled water when in egypt.

Of course it hasn't all been luck. There are many countries in the world where tap water is perfectly safe to drink, and I imagine quite a few with higher standards than the USA. I guess you just need to do your research beforehand. Apparently Dubai tap water is desalinated sea water and is safe.

I'm not sure I would be taking the chance, though!

We will be there for three days next November.

BTW, I loved those drinking fountains in Rome. I drank at every one I could find!

Cheers,

Steve.

Of course it hasn't all been luck. There are many countries in the world where tap water is perfectly safe to drink, and I imagine quite a few with higher standards than the USA. I guess you just need to do your research beforehand. Apparently Dubai tap water is desalinated sea water and is safe.

I'm not sure I would be taking the chance, though!

We will be there for three days next November.

BTW, I loved those drinking fountains in Rome. I drank at every one I could find!

Cheers,

Steve.

I don't drink the tap water either in most cities in the USA. When one travels I think the safest thing to do is to drink the bottled water. Are some places OK from the tap? Probably, yes, but to me it's not worth doing this type of research for the little time taht we are in port or staying somewhere on a pre or post cruise and it is not worth the risk. I used to do a vast amount of business travel and travel professionals to health professionals to business travelers will say just stick with the bottled water. Why take the chance that you will get sick, let along getting sick on a trip thousands of miles away from home. And, we are careful with what food we eat too.

Keith

• 5 months later...
Been to Dubai many times when I was a flight attendant. The water will certainly be safe in the hotel. Dubai is wonderful - enjoy!!

Will be in Dubai May 2009 for 2 days via cruise ship any pointers on how to get around and what is a must to see? How is the weather?

Dubai has thousands of taxis which are inexpensive, there is also a hop on hop off bus, the nearest stop to the cruise terminal, I think, is at the Gold Souk. Must see the Burj Dubai the tallest building in the world, the ski slope in the Mall of the Emirates with real snow! and the Burj Al Arab hotel.

• 4 weeks later...
Will be in Dubai May 2009 for 2 days via cruise ship any pointers on how to get around and what is a must to see? How is the weather?

We were in Dubai for 3 nights from the 14th May this year. Be prepared for extremely hot weather, I am talking about 41C which is around 108F!

We had just been on a 35 day cruise which had hot weather the entire time but Dubai was one of the hottest cities that we encountered. The other was Agra and that was 44C! :)

Taxis are very cheap and easy to use as the petrol is around .25cents a litre so different from here at home which is nudging $1.70 a litre.

With regard to the water, we did drink bottled water whilst there both in the hotel and outside of it. We had kept so well the entire 6 and a half weeks since we had left home so didn't want to risk becoming ill before our long flight home.

Jennie

Archived