what if NCL offered traditional dinning also ?

melika091900

And with freestyle you can go back later and have it, even in the main dining room/

unless he dining room is closed. You can get desert in your room or at the Blue Lagoon-free coffee too. but it does sound like the Poster about the show had a bad waiter- no refills and no bread....should have said something...but some people just don't like freestyle, that is life...

I think the thing that confuses me the most is that I just don't understand why anyone would NOT want to make their own choices. The biggest issue naysayers seem to be able to come up with is wait times... but even with wait times, I can't imagine preferring to NOT have a choice. Realistically, those wait times are not that long, relatively speaking. Is it really so horrible to spend a half an hour relaxing with your travelling companion(s) and/or new friends, enjoying being on the ship that you paid for as part of your vacation experience? :)

Sorry to drop out of this lively discussion and leave some wonderful counterpoints unanswered.

Took a day and a half off for the Holiday. It was horrible! The church service was at a set time, we had to sit with people we didn't know, and we had to get dressed up for it! We sang the same songs as last year, and the year before that.

Worst of all, to give thanks we, had to write out a check and put it in an envelope, then "offer it" personally along with our thanks..can't they jsut charge my MasterCard? It would be so much easier and I could earn cruise rewards ta' boot.

So many of these Christmas traditons are a pain in the rear. It would be so much simpler if we just sent each other gift cards.

Back on topic...when we describe the dining system that was in place before Freestyle, we call it TRADITIONal dining. The meaning of the word has gotten lost as we use it as a vernacular adjective. Why else would we ask "Why are people so set on TRADITIONal dining?"

The answer is in the question. We like traditional dining because its tradition.

Sorry to drop out of this lively discussion and leave some wonderful counterpoints unanswered.

Took a day and a half off for the Holiday. It was horrible! The church service was at a set time, we had to sit with people we didn't know, and we had to get dressed up for it! We sang the same songs as last year, and the year before that.

Worst of all, to give thanks we, had to write out a check and put it in an envelope, then "offer it" personally along with our thanks..can't they jsut charge my MasterCard? It would be so much easier and I could earn cruise rewards ta' boot.

So many of these Christmas traditons are a pain in the rear. It would be so much simpler if we just sent each other gift cards.

Back on topic...when we describe the dining system that was in place before Freestyle, we call it TRADITIONal dining. The meaning of the word has gotten lost as we use it as a vernacular adjective. Why else would we ask "Why are people so set on TRADITIONal dining?"

The answer is in the question. We like traditional dining because its tradition.

Then go on a cruise line that has traditional.

You just like to go to Olive Garden and complain because you can't get B-B-Q.

I think the thing that confuses me the most is that I just don't understand why anyone would NOT want to make their own choices. The biggest issue naysayers seem to be able to come up with is wait times... but even with wait times, I can't imagine preferring to NOT have a choice. Realistically, those wait times are not that long, relatively speaking. Is it really so horrible to spend a half an hour relaxing with your travelling companion(s) and/or new friends, enjoying being on the ship that you paid for as part of your vacation experience? :)

The answer is in the question. Folks like traditional dining because its tradition.

Freestyle has been around for 8 or 10 years (I'm sure retirednotexpired could tell me to the day) and has become a tradition in its own right. I haven't read anything on this thread that convinces me that NCLs newer ships are too small to accomated both.

All of the mainstream lines, including NCL, are attempting to attract familes, empty nesters, honeymooners, and well just about every one else. They are really not like specialty menswear or womenswear stores as much as they are like department stores.

Then go on a cruise line that has traditional.

You just like to go to Olive Garden and complain because you can't get B-B-Q.

Your assumption that "I just like to complain" because I am interested in this issue is incorrect. Your assumption that I like B-B-Q becuase I'm from Memphis, also incorrect.

Your assumption that "I just like to complain" because I am interested in this issue is incorrect. Your assumption that I like B-B-Q becuase I'm from Memphis, also incorrect.

And you are wrong that I assumed you like B-B-Q. That was just a comparison that you are going to one store, NCL, and complaining because you can't have what they don't sell, which is traditional. You go to the store that has what you want. If you want B-B-Q, you go to a B-B-Q joint, not Olive Garden. If you want Traditional, go to a traditional cruise line.

Actually, NCL themselves probably wouldn’t want traditional dining even if they could because that would attract traditional people. And since “must have tradition” type diners are the ones who always seem to be looking for something to complain about when it comes to freestyle, why would you want to bring those complainers on your ship? Who would want to sail with people or have them on your ship when they call people who enjoy freestyle or anytime, hillbillies, trailer trash, McD eaters, etc. And yes, those terms and more are in posts made by the we must have traditional types.

Like I said before, then you all would be complaining because there is not a mandatory formal night. Get the formal night and would complain because all of those freestylers are ruining the ambience of formal nights, etc., etc, etc. Lets face it, traditional diners would just keep complaining until EVERYTHING was traditional.

And no, I don’t know the exact date freestyle was introduced but it was right after Star bought NCL. It shouldn’t be hard to search if you want that info. I don’t need it so I don’t care what that date was.

.... would attract traditional people. And since “must have tradition†type diners are the ones who always seem to be looking for something to complain about when it comes to freestyle, why would you want to bring those complainers on your ship?

I was almost ready to believe that you chose B-B-Q in the Olive Garden in response to a person from Memphis by random chance, till I read this post characterizing "Traditional People" as "complainers."

Just read the reviews, there are a lot of "complainers" on NCL already - as there are on the other lines.

By your logic, it would be in NCL's best interest to give all the complainers thier own dining room to keep them out of your way.

NCL could do this, without anyone knowing they were doing it, right at registration. They just need to ask: "How was your wait today?" The complainers would be identified and issued a special key card with a fixed dining assignment and it would not let them into the Freestyle dining venues or adult hot tubs!

Hey, if an individual complains about complainers, what is that called?

If you cannot get reservations to the speciality restaurants at a time which provided plenty of time to see the late show, why not eat after the early show?

As far as the main dining rooms are concerned, there is pleny of time to dine early enough to see the early show, arrive at 5:30 PM. But with traditional dining thinking, one should plan for the late show when dining early and one should plan for the early show when dining late. This does not take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Unfortunately, five course dining consumes up to and over two hours. I don't mind because I could care less if it took three hours to dine. I'm in no hurry, and I'm not interested that much into the shows except to cheer the staff at the end of the show the next to last night aboard. I have two chances to do so.

No one is forcing anyone to accept a dining time which will prevent anyone from seeing an early or late show. I plan at least two and a half hours for dining. If you are planning two hours, you will miss a few of your shows. As far as the shows, I would much prefer to see an entire show of Oklahoma! or West Side Story than see condensed songs and songs only. It seems all of the cruise lines are missing this point. Even a comedy or drama would be better than having a hit song parade.

I never thought I'd see the day...

... when I completely agree with Don. It must be the Christmas spirit! :D

I was almost ready to believe that you chose B-B-Q in the Olive Garden in response to a person from Memphis by random chance, till I read this post characterizing "Traditional People" as "complainers."

Just read the reviews, there are a lot of "complainers" on NCL already - as there are on the other lines.

By your logic, it would be in NCL's best interest to give all the complainers thier own dining room to keep them out of your way.

NCL could do this, without anyone knowing they were doing it, right at registration. They just need to ask: "How was your wait today?" The complainers would be identified and issued a special key card with a fixed dining assignment and it would not let them into the Freestyle dining venues or adult hot tubs!

Hey, if an individual complains about complainers, what is that called?

Spin on Neal. No where did I say traditional diners are complainers. I said traditional diners seem to be the ones looking for something to “complain about freestyle”. Nor did I say “all”. That was just your way to spin it .

Nor did I say any of that other stuff. That was your logic, not mine. So Spin ON.

Since you ask that last question, I guess it’s OK for me to answer without breaking the guidelines of the board. I’m sure you would answer it R n E, but I do have a name for people who just like to argue and complain. No, I won’t say it. Everyone will just have to guess.

You try to say you are not complaining but just want to discuss, but all of your many posts on this subject is the same. I want to buy something from a store that does not sell it. Using the logic you try to apply to me, does that mean I should be able to go into any business and demand they sell me any product or service I want, even if they are not in that type of business? NCL is not in the traditional cruising business. Go to the store that has it if you want it. If you want the cup holders in a Ford, buy the Ford. Don’t go to a Toyota dealer and say I expect you to sell me a Ford. Don’t go to a women’s wear store and say I expect you to sell me a man’s suit.

Princess, HAL, and soon RCI has the exact product you are looking for. Ships with both traditional and anytime. Wouldn’t it make more sense to go to the line that has what you are asking for rather than to go on and on about a line that does not have what you want? And yes, in my opinion, (that’s my opinion Neal. Me. I’m not talking for others) if you continue to go on and on about a company that doesn’t have what you want instead of going to the company that does, you are complaining.

How about a lifeboat? <ROTFLMAO>

Becky-I was thinking the exact same thing, but decided a lifeboat could become too important to give up. Maybe a little dinghy would be more appropriate ;)

I do have a name for people who just like to argue and complain. No, I won’t say it. Everyone will just have to guess.

I think I can guess!

Spin on Neal. No where did I say traditional diners are complainers. I said traditional diners seem to be the ones looking for something to “complain about freestyle�. Nor did I say “all�. That was just your way to spin it .

Nor did I say any of that other stuff. That was your logic, not mine. So Spin ON.

Since you ask that last question, I guess it’s OK for me to answer without breaking the guidelines of the board. I’m sure you would answer it R n E, but I do have a name for people who just like to argue and complain. No, I won’t say it. Everyone will just have to guess.

You try to say you are not complaining but just want to discuss, but all of your many posts on this subject is the same. I want to buy something from a store that does not sell it. Using the logic you try to apply to me, does that mean I should be able to go into any business and demand they sell me any product or service I want, even if they are not in that type of business? NCL is not in the traditional cruising business. Go to the store that has it if you want it. If you want the cup holders in a Ford, buy the Ford. Don’t go to a Toyota dealer and say I expect you to sell me a Ford. Don’t go to a women’s wear store and say I expect you to sell me a man’s suit.

Princess, HAL, and soon RCI has the exact product you are looking for. Ships with both traditional and anytime. Wouldn’t it make more sense to go to the line that has what you are asking for rather than to go on and on about a line that does not have what you want? And yes, in my opinion, (that’s my opinion Neal. Me. I’m not talking for others) if you continue to go on and on about a company that doesn’t have what you want instead of going to the company that does, you are complaining.

I have not been going on and on about NCL, particlarly since the 2.0 announcemnt. NCL has taken a very public posistion that it is going to look for ways to improve freestyle and I applaud their effort.

My issue continues to be the defenders of the status quo who have appointed themselves editors of the NCL suggestion box.

Once again, Neal has decided he has to have the last word, as self-appointed "Defender of the Opposition." Stop feeding the troll, boys.

Neal, it's gotten to the point where you're just plain argumentative. How many times do people have to say they've heard what you say, but simply don't agree with you? Are people not allowed to disagree with you? Is your approach to continue to bash people with your opinion until they submit to your will?

Keep tilting, Don Quixote. Of course, you do remember what happened to Don Quixote in the end, don't you?

I have not been going on and on about NCL, particlarly since the 2.0 announcemnt. NCL has taken a very public posistion that it is going to look for ways to improve freestyle and I applaud their effort.

My issue continues to be the defenders of the status quo who have appointed themselves editors of the NCL suggestion box.

Apparently, we defenders of the status quo of NCL are not the only ones saying traditional won't work with freestyle. Here is a quote from a traditional diner:

Quote: I am just not sure that any line can successfully offer both styles of dining and think that unless they can, they ought to stick with what they can do best, whether it be traditional or anytime. Unquote

If you cannot get reservations to the speciality restaurants at a time which provided plenty of time to see the late show, why not eat after the early show?

As far as the main dining rooms are concerned, there is pleny of time to dine early enough to see the early show, arrive at 5:30 PM. But with traditional dining thinking, one should plan for the late show when dining early and one should plan for the early show when dining late. This does not take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Unfortunately, five course dining consumes up to and over two hours. I don't mind because I could care less if it took three hours to dine. I'm in no hurry, and I'm not interested that much into the shows except to cheer the staff at the end of the show the next to last night aboard. I have two chances to do so.

No one is forcing anyone to accept a dining time which will prevent anyone from seeing an early or late show. I plan at least two and a half hours for dining. If you are planning two hours, you will miss a few of your shows. As far as the shows, I would much prefer to see an entire show of Oklahoma! or West Side Story than see condensed songs and songs only. It seems all of the cruise lines are missing this point. Even a comedy or drama would be better than having a hit song parade.

I completely agree with you on this one Don.

Whereas many first time NCL cruisers discover dinner can take 2 to 2.5 to 3 hours their first night aboard, they should learn from this experence and plan for longer dinners for the remainder of their cruise. Instead of insisting on starting to dine at 7 pm and being late to the late show at 9 pm, they should start their dinner at 6:30 pm or earlier to make the late show.

Refusing to accept things as they are is a sure fire way to disembark the ship unhappy. Go with the flow means being willing to adjust as you learn things......

Apparently, we defenders of the status quo of NCL are not the only ones saying traditional won't work with freestyle. Here is a quote from a traditional diner:

Quote: I am just not sure that any line can successfully offer both styles of dining and think that unless they can, they ought to stick with what they can do best, whether it be traditional or anytime. Unquote

BTW, this came from a poster who doesn't want to see anytime, or My Time as RCI will call it, on a traditional line.

I don't care how any line wants to run their ships. I'll sail with the one that suits me.

Refusing to accept things as they are is a sure fire way to disembark the ship unhappy. Go with the flow means being willing to adjust as you learn things......

Well said! I'll even take it one step further---sometimes it's better to be happy than right.

Elecrticron quotes:

"Whereas many first time NCL cruisers discover dinner can take 2 to 2.5 to 3 hours their first night aboard, they should learn from this experence and plan for longer dinners for the remainder of their cruise. Instead of insisting on starting to dine at 7 pm and being late to the late show at 9 pm, they should start their dinner at 6:30 pm or earlier to make the late show."

I hate to burst your bubble on acceptable dining times. After the previously reported trouble on getting out of dinner in 2.5 hours for a show according to Radmilla (overall restaurant manager on Gem) anything longer than 2 hours is unacceptable. NCL expects dinner to be completed (all 5 courses) in 1:45 to 2:00 hours. Quite honestly do you really believe that 3 hours is an acceptable time to spend at dinner? On Gem we never ate earlier than 6:30 and our times ranged from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours. It really came down to how busy the restaurant was and the abilities of the servers. The 1.5 came at 7:30 in the Grand Pacific which was full with a tremendousteam of waiters to around 2 hours in Cagney's to 2.5 in the 2nd dining room with a most unimpressive set of waiters. So it doesn't ahve to be 2.5 or 3 hours.

Someone suggested I should have spoken with someone, after bringing the problems to the Maitre'd attention, I then spoke with Radmilla the next day to relate what happened. This is how I learned what was expected as far as dining times. I want to emphasize that Radmilla and NCL went "way and above" to ensure that we did not take more than 2 hours at any future dinners. I give very high praise to Radmilla and NCL for how professional they handled the situation.

Perhaps this is why NCL is having problem getting the "When" portion right in Freestyle is that cruisers are accepting that dinner is 2+ hours. There would be a backlog of people waiting for tables if NCL is expecting tables to be "turned" in 2 hours or less, but in fact the service is taking 2+ hours.

Besides, I do know how to plan that if dinner is 2.5 hours to show up 2.5 hours before the scheduled time, which we did do later. But if you are in Morrocco and your excusrion is ending at 5:30, it would be difficult to get to dinner by 5:30 or 6 to spend 2.5 to 3 hours for dinner.

if dinner takes longer then 1 1/2 hours, usually you need to look at the dinners. my inlaws can, easily, take over 2 hours on family dinners. to pace the meal correctly, the servers must wait until the last eater is through with that course before going to the next. sept, 2006 on the NCL star..all our meals were over 2 hours, FIL was starting to get upset (he was a very slow eater)..we kept telling him it didn't matter, we weren't going anywhere. i know the servers kept checking on our table to see what the hold up was.

this last time, just the 2 of us...had had great pacing between meals and were done..with 4 courses, in less then an hour. but we don't linger over coffee (like SIL & niece) or are we slow eaters (like FIL).

just saying, it's not always the servers that make dinner last that long. if you are with a group of more then 5, watch to see if one of your diners is talking more or just a slow eater....it can really slow down your service, unless you speak up and tell them to bring the next course as soon as it's ready.

is it PITA?

PE

if dinner takes longer then 1 1/2 hours, usually you need to look at the dinners. my inlaws can, easily, take over 2 hours on family dinners. to pace the meal correctly, the servers must wait until the last eater is through with that course before going to the next. sept, 2006 on the NCL star..all our meals were over 2 hours, FIL was starting to get upset (he was a very slow eater)..we kept telling him it didn't matter, we weren't going anywhere. i know the servers kept checking on our table to see what the hold up was.

this last time, just the 2 of us...had had great pacing between meals and were done..with 4 courses, in less then an hour. but we don't linger over coffee (like SIL & niece) or are we slow eaters (like FIL).

just saying, it's not always the servers that make dinner last that long. if you are with a group of more then 5, watch to see if one of your diners is talking more or just a slow eater....it can really slow down your service, unless you speak up and tell them to bring the next course as soon as it's ready.

Yep, I have a sister who eats very little but takes a long time. I know even taking her to a buffet will take over two hours.

Elecrticron quotes:

"Whereas many first time NCL cruisers discover dinner can take 2 to 2.5 to 3 hours their first night aboard, they should learn from this experence and plan for longer dinners for the remainder of their cruise. Instead of insisting on starting to dine at 7 pm and being late to the late show at 9 pm, they should start their dinner at 6:30 pm or earlier to make the late show."

I hate to burst your bubble on acceptable dining times. After the previously reported trouble on getting out of dinner in 2.5 hours for a show according to Radmilla (overall restaurant manager on Gem) anything longer than 2 hours is unacceptable. NCL expects dinner to be completed (all 5 courses) in 1:45 to 2:00 hours. Quite honestly do you really believe that 3 hours is an acceptable time to spend at dinner? On Gem we never ate earlier than 6:30 and our times ranged from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours. It really came down to how busy the restaurant was and the abilities of the servers. The 1.5 came at 7:30 in the Grand Pacific which was full with a tremendousteam of waiters to around 2 hours in Cagney's to 2.5 in the 2nd dining room with a most unimpressive set of waiters. So it doesn't ahve to be 2.5 or 3 hours.

Someone suggested I should have spoken with someone, after bringing the problems to the Maitre'd attention, I then spoke with Radmilla the next day to relate what happened. This is how I learned what was expected as far as dining times. I want to emphasize that Radmilla and NCL went "way and above" to ensure that we did not take more than 2 hours at any future dinners. I give very high praise to Radmilla and NCL for how professional they handled the situation.

Perhaps this is why NCL is having problem getting the "When" portion right in Freestyle is that cruisers are accepting that dinner is 2+ hours. There would be a backlog of people waiting for tables if NCL is expecting tables to be "turned" in 2 hours or less, but in fact the service is taking 2+ hours.

Besides, I do know how to plan that if dinner is 2.5 hours to show up 2.5 hours before the scheduled time, which we did do later. But if you are in Morrocco and your excusrion is ending at 5:30, it would be difficult to get to dinner by 5:30 or 6 to spend 2.5 to 3 hours for dinner.

There's a runing joke that it takes 5 to 6 hours to eat a great dinner at a great French restaurant in France........:D

I would agree 3 hours seems much too long, but that really depends upon how many courses your party had? I think 20 minutes a course may be too quick to enjoy, but let's use that number anyways. 20 minutes after being sat down at your table, the appetizers arrive. 20 minutes later, the salad, 20 minutes later the soup, 20 minutes later the entree, 20 minutes later the dessert with coffee, which takes 20 minutes to eat and drink. Total dinner time is 120 minutes. Add the cheese and cracker tray ontop of the dessert, add another 20 minutes. I can easliy foresee dinner taking up to 2 hours and 20 minutes, if you order all five or six courses. Then consider that some order double on the appetizers, entrees, and deserts.

Some think that if you skip a course, your food will come out faster.

But that's only true if everyone at your table skips that course.

If just one diner orders the soup and salad, whereas the others order just one, the entree will not arrive until after the one diner had finished both those courses, which of course arrive about 20 minutes apart.

They are serving a five course dinner, not a three course dinner.

Archived