what if NCL offered traditional dinning also ?

melika091900

i can't remember why you didn't want to eat at the main dining rooms?

they didn't take reservations...unless for a large party. because i was on the star about 2 months before your last trip...with a party of 7 and one in a wheel chair, we got into the dining rooms with no wait and no reservations...that's for the versailles and the aqua. we got a reservation for cagney's the day before, but it was for a early seating (and it was 1/2 price)

we did make a reservations for one night at the versailles...before we knew how much room they had and how easy it was to walk in. they have a wheelchair entrance on the 6th floor, just use the far left elevator from deck 7.

everything was booked except at 9p every night,

the only place we got a reservation for was Ginza..

i heard they are better with the reservations now, but when we went you could book the whole week at once, so everything got taken

I guess I'm still confused as to why this would mean you had to eat in the buffet instead of the main dining room (unless, of course, that was your preference). You don't need reservations (and they've never been required) in the main rooms

Personally I prefer traditional dining for the fact that my waiters get to know my likes and dislikes. I did my first NCL cruise on the Pearl in November and I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise and will do it again, but they aren't going to be my first choice. I honestly think that traditional works better with my 2 kids (5 and 2) because it is more structured.

I'm confused:confused: no reservations are needed for the main dining room, speciality yes. We always went to dinner around 7:30pm and walked right into the main dining room.

...Or maybe it has something to do with the departure times from the ports.

We had long table waits on the Star too. On the Spirit, the only wait (and it was short) was due to a shortage of Hostesses, not tables.

I don't see what the big deal would be about dedicating the smaller dining room to a traditional seating timed between the two shows.

...Or maybe it has something to do with the departure times from the ports.

We had long table waits on the Star too. On the Spirit, the only wait (and it was short) was due to a shortage of Hostesses, not tables.

I don't see what the big deal would be about dedicating the smaller dining room to a traditional seating timed between the two shows.

Which smaller dining room would you use?

The Le Bistro, Cagney's Steakhouse, the Italian restaurant which on many ships is half the Buffet, the Asian restaurant full of Sushi bars and Teppanyaki tables, the Blue Lagoon with less than 20 seats, or the Tapas Bar which is more bar than restaurant?

:rolleyes: I wonder where?:rolleyes:

The first show starts at 7:30 pm, the late show starts at 9 pm. There's only a half between shows, most four/five course meals take two hours or more. When would you start the "traditional" one seating dining?

Which smaller dining room would you use?

The Le Bistro, Cagney's Steakhouse, the Italian restaurant which on many ships is half the Buffet, the Asian restaurant full of Sushi bars and Teppanyaki tables, the Blue Lagoon with less than 20 seats, or the Tapas Bar which is more bar than restaurant?

:rolleyes: I wonder where?:rolleyes:

The first show starts at 7:30 pm, the late show starts at 9 pm. There's only an hour and a half between shows, most four/five course meals take two hours or more. When would you start the "traditional" one seating dining?

I've only been on two NCL ships with a dual main dining rooms, but the Aqua and the Garden Room appeared to sit about 400 people. I wasn't suggesting that the diners be able to make both shows, just one or the other and not before the 1st show or after the 2nd.

I think you would find 20% of the folks curently crusing NCL enjoying this option and I'm certain that there are many folks who do not cruise NCL because they like a set table and waiter.

I'm certain that there are many folks who do not cruise NCL because they like a set table and waiter.

Good, let them sail on other cruise lines.

If my waiter was terrible, I wouldn't want to be stuck with him or her for the entire cruise. :) With NCL, I'm not.

With Carnival or Royal Caribbean, or any other cruise line with traditional dining, I am.:mad:

And please don't tell me every waiter and waitress on cruise lines using traditional dining are perfect.:p

Personally I prefer traditional dining for the fact that my waiters get to know my likes and dislikes. I did my first NCL cruise on the Pearl in November and I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise and will do it again, but they aren't going to be my first choice. I honestly think that traditional works better with my 2 kids (5 and 2) because it is more structured.

me too

and i love the structure..

it was hard doing freestyle with me, my DH , my mom, daughter and niece,

i would say ok where are we eating ?

no one brought formal wear to go to the main dining areas,

so we got stuck ,

we just recently did a 14 night cruise on celebrity and it really makes me never want to do freestyle again, i loved the relaxed feeling of knowing , where and when im eating,

I guess I'm still confused as to why this would mean you had to eat in the buffet instead of the main dining room (unless, of course, that was your preference). You don't need reservations (and they've never been required) in the main rooms

the main dining areas were always full. when we did try to walk up it was an hour wait, we were in a group of 5 I dont know if that makes a difference, but every place i called for reservations only had a 9p dinner available for us, so it was a pain,

this is just our experience though, im hoping they got better with this.

I think a lot of people would like the more traditional dining but what if you want to try the other dining venues? We have gone with a total of 10 people and made reservations in the main dining room at 6:00 PM for most nights. But we also did Mama's Kitchen and Le Bistro on other nights. If we hadn't had a large group we would probably have opted for 7:00 PM dining.

The main thing I do like about Freestyle is not having to pack dress up clothes.

Good, let them sail on other cruise lines.

If my waiter was terrible, I wouldn't want to be stuck with him or her for the entire cruise. :) With NCL, I'm not.

With Carnival or Royal Caribbean, or any other cruise line with traditional dining, I am.:mad:

And please don't tell me every waiter and waitress on cruise lines using traditional dining are perfect.:p

I won't say they were all perfect, but in 11 non-ncl cruises there weren't any we didn't like (and some folks here have accused us of being picky).

We've never wanted to change our waiter, but once DW and I went without the kids and were assigned seating to a family with young kids. They were nice enough, but if that was the vaction we were looking for we would have brought our own. After the first meal, we explained the situation to the matr'd who sat us with 3 like minded couples close to our age. We had a blast.

The dining experience is just one of many factors for us. We would rate the price, ports of call, embarkation port (drive vs fly), and the ship itself ahead of dining and most things covered by the hotel staff.

We liked the Spirit, we Loved NOLA, and we could probably figure out how to have 4 good beach days on the cheap in the ports of call the second time around.

Freestyle 2.0 seems to offer a lot of things that would make up for things we missed sailing 1.0. Since they seem to be shaking things up at NCL, I don't see the harm in putting the suggestion of an assigned seating out there.

Personally, I think freestyle has its place, but it's a fad and like all fads it will fade.

People don't like being restricted, but people usually are creatures of habit, eating at the same time every day. It would be nice if:

a) we never had to wait to be seated

b) our waiters got to know our likes and dislikes

Hey - that's the traditional dining way!

Can't agree more on the advantages of traditional.... NCL having separate dining areas for the traditional and freestyle folks would be the ultimate 2.0 experience.

We've never wanted to change our waiter, but once DW and I went without the kids and were assigned seating to a family with young kids. They were nice enough, but if that was the vaction we were looking for we would have brought our own. After the first meal, we explained the situation to the matr'd who sat us with 3 like minded couples close to our age. We had a blast.

You may have "lucked out" as, if there is NO other table available with empty seats (which happens) - you are STUCK at your table for the cruise unless you go to the Pay restaurant or buffet:confused:

I think a lot of people would like the more traditional dining but what if you want to try the other dining venues?

If traditional dining is so popular, why don't shore side restaurants join in this bandwagon? :confused:

Can you see McDonalds, KFC, Chilies, Red Lobster, Denny's, or any 5 star restaurant you're aware of, having only two sittings every night?:rolleyes:

The reason why other cruise lines have two seatings is because they don't have enough tables, seats, or choices to sit everyone at once. ;)

The reason other cruise lines have alternated dining choices, anytime dining, etc, is because Freestyle is so popular.:)

Would you like it if NCL offered traditional and freestyle dining ? I would love it ,,

we love NCL and have had 2 great cruises on ncl star, but the freestyle dinning was a pain in the butt, everything was booked all the time,

so we had to eat at the buffet alot which is sooo hard with my mom in a wheelchair, we had to make her plate, our daughters plus our own,

it was just a nightmare,

i would love if they offered both, at set times every night for the traditional

they would still be freestyle, but a choice for traditional

maybe one day....

You did not sail the Star during busy seasons, can't understand why you had a problem:confused: What time do you dine?

If traditional dining is so popular, why don't shore side restaurants join in this bandwagon? :confused:

Can you see McDonalds, KFC, Chilies, Red Lobster, Denny's, or any 5 star restaurant you're aware of, having only two sittings every night?:rolleyes:

That is what makes cruising a unique experience. There are those of use who like the attention to detail of having the same waiter every night. It is one of the reasons why I prefer cruising over land based vacations.

I think a lot of people would like the more traditional dining but what if you want to try the other dining venues?

The EXACT reason we cruise NCL. We can try all of the dining venues or, at least, the ones we choose.

We are not "stuck" in the same D/R every night with the same passengers and the same waiter:) Imagine that on a 15 day cruise:eek:

There are many traditional dining cruise lines out there for those who enjoy it.

I am also open minded and not putting down those that like freestyle. I understand that it is an option that has it's supporters. However, it would be in NCL's best interest not to alienate those that loved NCL before freestyle.

I am also open minded and not putting down those that like freestyle. I understand that it is an option that has it's supporters. However, it would be in NCL's best interest not to alienate those that loved NCL before freestyle.

The Main dinning rooms still exist. Just show up at the traditional dining times, 6 pm and 8 pm, and you'll have no problems finding a table. You can even ask to have the same table and waiter, but since waiters wait in different restaurants during the week, you will not get him every night.

NCL has jumped upon the Freestyle bandwagon fully. It will not be long every ship built before Freestyle will have left the fleet, their ads are full of Freestyle, and their new ships are built and manned for Freestyle. At NCL, traditional cruising DIED years ago. Mr. Kloster doesn't own NCL anymore.

Learn to live with it, or sail on a different cruise line if you can't stand it.

You're asking NCL to change it's policies, much like asking McDonalds to stop selling hamburgers, and Colonel Sanders to stop selling chicken.

You may have "lucked out" as, if there is NO other table available with empty seats (which happens) - you are STUCK at your table for the cruise unless you go to the Pay restaurant or buffet:confused:

Even during the Holidays, there is always room at one seating or the other... At least on CCL, RCCL, and X.

NCL has jumped upon the Freestyle bandwagon fully. It will not be long every ship built before Freestyle will have left the fleet, their ads are full of Freestyle, and their new ships are built and manned for Freestyle. At NCL, traditional cruising DIED years ago. Mr. Kloster doesn't own NCL anymore.

Learn to live with it, or sail on a different cruise line if you can't stand it.

You're asking NCL to change it's policies, much like asking McDonalds to stop selling hamburgers, and Colonel Sanders to stop selling chicken.

McDonalds has sold burgers since their founding and KFC still serves chicken. The comparison is not a good one. No one has suggested they eliminate freestyle in this thread also. It has just been brought up as an additional feature to possibly add in the future. You can also thank Mr. Kloster, and those of us that supported this line before Star's takeover that NCL still existed in the late 90's to be a takeover target.

As I understand the Freestyle, the idea is that there is enough flexibilty to accomodate varied tastes. If a large portion of its clientel 15-20% would like to know when and were they are eating and who was going to be serving them - why not accomodate it?

Archived