slinky knits at Sam's club

shops54

I happened across black slinky knits at Sam's yesterday. Bought the dress (knee length with a flirty skirt), skirt, shell and pants. All were under $20.00 each. I love my blacks to match and I love to have the material all the same as well so these are really great. The knits pack up in very little space and are light weight. A couple Pashmina's and jackets and I should be good for most of the week.

Isn't that the brand at HSN? I did not care for it.

West End at Kohls is MUCH better quality-Lois told me about them. Thanks Lois! they packed very well and I looked great on my cruise!

I also like Citi Knits from QVC-but because of clearance sales I usually can get a better price for West End.

I bought at Macy's a top from a brand called the M collection that I liked also.

It just seemed to me these other brands-although the material is very similiar, are just a better quality then Slinkys.

I'm finding myself getting away from the travel knit type of clothing. I started wearing it years ago, mostly from Chico's, they did wear well and packed nicely. I have perhaps two pieces that I would still wear, most of it has found its way to the Goodwill bag now.

I'm now more interested in a microfiber knit pant. Microfiber has a better drape, yet still packs well and mine weigh less than the travel knit. I think I just got tired of the clingy nature of the travel knit. I will take two pair of black microfiber slacks and a few tops, wearing the pants 2-3 times each. Some of my tops can also be worn twice with a change of accessories.

Like with any clothing manufactured, there are different grades of fabric, you do have to compare them side by side to see the difference. The cheaper the brand, the less substantial the fabric and the skimpier the seams will be with poor construction quality. If you are looking for a piece that will be an investment and worn many times, the better quality will be the better buy every time.

Off topic a bit, my daughter was looking for a new handbag for school. There were plenty she liked the styling but the quality was so poor we knew the bag would not last a month. Even though some of the bags were under $30, I knew I would spend that same amount every 4-6 weeks for a new bag for her, she carries her books in them and will not use a backpack. We found her a much higher quality bag, on sale, costing around $90, but I'm sure she will have it the rest of the school year and I will spend less in the long run. I don't mind at all finding a bargain, or a lesser quality for something I know will only be used once, but you really do need to buy quality for items that you want to last.

KS, the slinky brand at HSN is just as expensive as citi knits and West End at Kohls (before clearance) but it just did not have the quality of the other two brands-unless what I bought was just a "lemon". I only bought one pantsuit and saw from it that I did not want any more.

What is microfiber? What the OP and I are talking about is acetate and spandex.

I used to think acetate was horrible cheapo stuff that did not hold up to wear but this stuff does-as long as you hand wash it and lie it flat to dry.

I still wore cotton slacks and tops in the daytime on the cruise back in September, but this stuff is really nice for casual dinnerwear and it did not wrinkle and took little room in the suitcase. I found it wonderful when we were gone for 16 days. No way could I have packed enough clothing without taking more bags without those things. My usual dress slacks, blouses, and dresses just would take up too much room, too much weight, and would have had to be pressed.

I also found the stuff surprisingly flattering on me. I was afraid I would look too "old lady" but I didn't.

I have learned a lot about slinky type knits of late. I am from Canada & here the good knits of this type are 95% acetate, 5% lycra made by Artex. Artex is the manufacturer that makes this type of fabric & Canadian designers such as Linda Lundstrom & Joseph Ribkoff have been using it. It is of a thicker hand that drapes nicely. The cheaper knits of 98% acetate, 2% lycra do not drape as well or hold up for long. They tend to look cheaper & you can see through them. In the U.S. I believe Chico & Kim Co use the Artex fabric. I am sure there are others using the better quality material but these two just come to mind. A well made Artex piece packs wonderfully & can look very elegant. The cheaper quality just does not cut it. You know it's not good when you can see your undergarments through the fabric. Artex not only comes in solid colours (black is most popular) buy a huge selection of prints & crinkle type textures to compliment the solids. I was suprised to see that E-Bay has a whole section dedicated to this type of garment alone. Can you tell I fell in love with it. I have been collecting it a piece at a time. I now have a big selection of mix & match pieces that started off with blacks & have now drifted to purples & golds due to the mix & match prints. When I asked a sales lady at a higher end shop for Artex, she didn't know what I was talking about. When I said Slinky, she knew. I asked her why she called it that she said because that was all she knew it by. I have never found anything called Slinky. Is it a brand name or just a description of the fabric? Would like to know.

Here is a pic of a pair of microfiber pants

_5490763.jpg

Here is a pair of Chicos Travelers

100035374_normal.jpg

It's so hard to tell the difference in a picture, so all I can really say is the feel of the fabric and fit of the pants on myself, I prefer the microfiber.

I don't know about quality of Kohls over Chicos, I've not shopped Kohls in a long time so I could not compare. I have looked at places like JC Penney and could tell the quality was lower as compared to Chicos, does Kohls compare to JC Penney?

Both fabrics are great travel pieces and, while looking at the Chicos site, I did notice some of Travelers pants are on sale :)

http://www.chicos.com/store/shelf.asp?ppp=110&navCatID=11&navItemID=1

I have a pair of Chicos pants and a pair of West End from Kohls pants and they are almost the same quality--slight edge given to Chicos for being a little heavier. I got some from JCP on sale this fall (pants & tunic top) and they're thinner but still decent (Units is their brand)

I've felt the slinky knit brand from the travelling show at Costco (don't know what brand it was) and they were much thinner--I didn't buy any.

I have some microfiber pants from Travelsmith, and while I love them, they're not holding up as well as the knit pants from elsewhere. However, the ottoman knit pants from Travelsmith are (so far) hardy troopers. There are TONS of options--hopefully something for everyone:D

I have some microfiber pants from Travelsmith, and while I love them, they're not holding up as well as the knit pants from elsewhere. However, the ottoman knit pants from Travelsmith are (so far) hardy troopers. There are TONS of options--hopefully something for everyone:D

I love the Ottoman knit pants too. I started buying them a few years ago from Chico's but they don't have them anymore so I've gotten some from TravelSmith. They certainly aren't the most fashion-forward pants I own, but I do wear them a lot for travel -- very comfortable for an overnight flight.

I still have 2 pair from Chico's that I bought probably 7 years ago and they've held up well although if you look at them closely they are starting to show their age. Guess I'll have to retire them soon....maybe I'll wear them for one more flight then ditch them at my destination for more packing room!

I have learned a lot about slinky type knits of late. I am from Canada & here the good knits of this type are 95% acetate, 5% lycra made by Artex. Artex is the manufacturer that makes this type of fabric & Canadian designers such as Linda Lundstrom & Joseph Ribkoff have been using it. It is of a thicker hand that drapes nicely. The cheaper knits of 98% acetate, 2% lycra do not drape as well or hold up for long. They tend to look cheaper & you can see through them. In the U.S. I believe Chico & Kim Co use the Artex fabric. I am sure there are others using the better quality material but these two just come to mind. A well made Artex piece packs wonderfully & can look very elegant. The cheaper quality just does not cut it. You know it's not good when you can see your undergarments through the fabric. Artex not only comes in solid colours (black is most popular) buy a huge selection of prints & crinkle type textures to compliment the solids. I was suprised to see that E-Bay has a whole section dedicated to this type of garment alone. Can you tell I fell in love with it. I have been collecting it a piece at a time. I now have a big selection of mix & match pieces that started off with blacks & have now drifted to purples & golds due to the mix & match prints. When I asked a sales lady at a higher end shop for Artex, she didn't know what I was talking about. When I said Slinky, she knew. I asked her why she called it that she said because that was all she knew it by. I have never found anything called Slinky. Is it a brand name or just a description of the fabric? Would like to know.

My Slinky pantsuit from HSN is 94%acetate, 6% spandex. My West End from Kohls is 93% acetate and 7% spandex. My citi knits from QVC is 90% acetetate and 10% spandex. My M collection from Macy's (also saw that brand in Penneys) is 50% acetate, 45% polyester and 5% spandex. So all of these had more then 2% lycra (or spandex).

As I said the Slinky looked cheap and cheezy to me but the other brands I liked. I guess it was the brand that had the most acetate too.

KS, I still have no idea what microfiber is.

I may be a bit off with my reference of "micro fiber". I only know the knit I'm preferring now is not the travellers knit, it's not ribbed, does not have as much stretch, nor does it have the slight sheen that travel knits have.

It's more a fabric content of polyester/rayon/spandex. The fabric is soft, smooth and lighter in weight than travellers knits. They are more like "slacks" than the travel knit and I will wear them to work as well as dressed up to go out, it really depends on the cut of the pant. My favorites have a side zipper rather than a fly front, giving a sleeker look without the bulk of a fly, with a smoother silhouette than you can get with an elastic waistband.

It's another choice to make and can be a little more updated in styling than the travel knits. Neither is a good or bad choice, just different.

I may be a bit off with my reference of "micro fiber". I only know the knit I'm preferring now is not the travellers knit, it's not ribbed, does not have as much stretch, nor does it have the slight sheen that travel knits have.

It's more a fabric content of polyester/rayon/spandex. The fabric is soft, smooth and lighter in weight than travellers knits. They are more like "slacks" than the travel knit and I will wear them to work as well as dressed up to go out, it really depends on the cut of the pant. My favorites have a side zipper rather than a fly front, giving a sleeker look without the bulk of a fly, with a smoother silhouette than you can get with an elastic waistband.

It's another choice to make and can be a little more updated in styling than the travel knits. Neither is a good or bad choice, just different.

Okay I guess that is what the M collection is. (a combination of the 3 materials) I do have some poly and spandex slacks that zip (look like men's suiting , black and grey stripe and they do not wrinkle) and I do like them-but I tend to swell on cruises (I go down after coming home-I think it is the salt) and they get too tight which is why the other material worked well later in the cruise.

I will have to see if I can find some zippered pants in the M Collection and then I can see how they do next cruise. Maybe the combination of the three materials will have more give and memory.

I actually don't mind the pull on pants in the acetate/spandex as long as the top is longer-if the top is shorter I want my pants more fitted. That is when I would prefer the micro fiber I guess. But ya know, when I am swollen from the salt I prefer longer tops and less fitted pants anyway-I don't have a great figure normally-but when I am swollen I look much worse.

I wnet into Macy's this morning and I found out tha tis called JM collection NOT M Collection. Me and my bad eyes-I did not see the J as it is kind've woven monogram style with the M.

I asked a clerk where the "M Collection" was and ofcourse she had no idea what I was referring to.

I also found that brand is more then travel knits and uses all sorts of materials. I found 100% cotton tees and I also found tops that were just polyester and spandex-no acetate. I believe those tops would travel well also.

Ok never heard of the stuff - what is it??:confused:

is manuf'd in India..from petroleum, as all good polyester is..and it is a fab updated version of the 70's..that is eenysy weensy ribbed knit. I have lots of brands..Even Chicos have them, called travelers. Got a LBD for $8, with $88'00 tags still on it. I rolled/wadded a bunch of them up, in a space bag, left for 3weeks..and they all shook out w/o wrinkles. Comes with screen print on it, textured, and woven patterns. Gotta love that !

I have a JM set in black - quick question: can I mix/wear the slacks with tops other than that material? I don't know - just want your opinion. Thanks...

In my opinion it would look good with silk, satin, and velvet-but I would never put it with a cotton tee. Now by that I mean the polyester or polyester acetate combinations. If your pants are cotton I guess you could wear a cotton tee with it! and maybe not the silks and satins! I was surprised to realize this brand can be a multitude materials-so it is much more then West End or Slinky or Citi Knits which are just travel knits.

I also think the longer sweathers in whatever material would work with it.

I prefer for the most part with travel knits a longer top of at least 28 inches-unless the pants are more fitted and zip on (like what KS likes)- instead of just the elastic pull on waist-I do not like the elastic waist with a shorter top. I just feel the looser fit needs a longer top-no matter how slim you are-to be attractive.

Archived