Single Cruising

lopac

Um, this IS the Solo Cruise forum.

To the OP, with the mass markets, you're pretty much stuck with the 200% single supplement. Like someone said, you can get the lowest category cabin on Carnival for 150%, so if you don't mind an inside cabin, that will be a choice. HAL has some for 175%. You could look for 2 for 1 specials and that way you're only paying the first person fare. The luxury lines such as Seabourn and Crystal do have lower SS, but then you're also paying a higher per diem than you would with a mass market line. RCCI, Princess, Celebrity, Cunard all have the 200% single supplement.

Um, this IS the Solo Cruise forum.

To the OP, with the mass markets, you're pretty much stuck with the 200% single supplement. Like someone said, you can get the lowest category cabin on Carnival for 150%, so if you don't mind an inside cabin, that will be a choice. HAL has some for 175%. You could look for 2 for 1 specials and that way you're only paying the first person fare. The luxury lines such as Seabourn and Crystal do have lower SS, but then you're also paying a higher per diem than you would with a mass market line. RCCI, Princess, Celebrity, Cunard all have the 200% single supplement.

Sure is.. now that that fine folks at Cruisecritic moved the thread here.

Depending on when you book and which itinerary, you can get a run of ship on Seabourn for 125%. That means you are guaranteed a cabin (all of Seabourn's cabins are outside with huge picture windows), but you may not know which one, and it can be on any deck, until two weeks before you board. On my 2006 Caribbean cruise, I boarded not knowing where they were going to put me; when the steward opened the cabin door and I saw a balcony cabin, I was thrilled at the upgrade! Doesn't happen all that often, though.

I like Seabourn for the generous single supplements and also how nice they are to single travelers. Every night at dinner you will get a printed invitation on your door to a hosted table. Nice!

Jane

A printed invitation to a hosted table? Does this really happen ? Does it depend on which grade of cabin you have?

The reason I ask is that I did a cruise on Seabourn (Seabourn Sun) had the least expensive cabin and I never received any thing in the way of invitation to a hosted table. I travel solo and I was given a table for two without any one else sharing. I spoke to the "hostess" but was informed tht I would just have to make the best of it.

I have never cruised Seabourn since and I did not find them "solo" friendly.

HAL's Prinsendam has three single cabins - two outside and one inside. I had an outside last summer and loved it. It was a bit more than a double occupancy but significantly less than their 150% supplement. Excellent ship, excellent crew and overall and excellent experience.

Pat

When did you sail Seabourn? Since you said it was the "Sun" perhaps it was a very long time ago? I sailed on the Legend in April of 2006, and the Pride in December of 2006 and 2007. The first time I sailed with them, I was with my sister and brother in law. Even as a group, we received printed invitations, or phone calls, almost every evening to join a table. And no, it doesn't matter who you are, since *laughing* I book the lowest cabin assignment there is, it's called run-of-ship; you take what they have available. Maybe you sailed with them many years ago, and they have implemented this nice service in the last few years?

I can't imagine any crew member on Seabourn saying, oh you just need to make the best of it.....if this was the way they used to talk to passengers, new management has solved that problem for sure; their service is second to none and they fall over themselves to accommodate your requests!

On both my '06 and '07 sailings on the Pride, I received printed invitations on my door every single night to a table. I always feel very warmly included, that is why I keep returning to them. If you do ever decide to sail with Seabourn again, the second you step on the ship, go to the purser's counter and tell them you love being invited to tables. That should do it!

Jane

Archived