Tokyo Narita Airport Hotels

Keith1010

Are there any hotels that connect to this airport? If, not are there any hotels right nearby?

Thanks,

Keith

Hilton is the closest-some rooms face the runways. Holiday Inn Tobu and ANA (owned by ANA airlines) are within a mile. Don't expect a lot-standard rooms in all three are small, very, very clean, but rather outdated. The Holiday Inn has quite a few rooms with GREEN (like almost lime green) Holiday Inn color toilets, tubs and sinks. And being in the land of hi-tech, these hotels have the smallest TV's in room that I have seen in a long time.

But if all you are looking for is a place to rest/sleep before continuing on your journey, any will be fine. The Hilton has a good breakfast at a reasonable price, but the worst service. The Holiday Inn food sucks, but has great service (if you can take the green bathrooms). ANA is generally the most expensive and is still only a mid level hotel with average service.

We overnighted at Narita on a journey from Atlanta to Jakarta in September. We picked the Narita Hilton and booked through hotels.com. The room was more than adequate and not nearly as small as we had feared [based on our son's experiences there]. The breakfast buffet was good but cost about $30 per person. There is a free shuttle to/from the airport. If you are flying in, I think the shuttle pickes you up at 'station 14.'

If we go through Narita again, we'd stay at the Hilton again.

The Airport Limousine Bus into Tokyo is approx $30 and takes 45 minutes to an hour. Many fine hotel options there - I prefer the Imperial Hotel, close to the Ginza.

I had thought that travel time to say the Imperial Hotel would be about 90 minutes. Am I mistaken?

Keith

I had thought that travel time to say the Imperial Hotel would be about 90 minutes. Am I mistaken?

Keith

You are correct.

The Narita Express train (which is fast but expensive unless you buy a Rail Pass) is the quickest way into Tokyo that I know of but it still takes about 55-60 minutes to various stations in Tokyo. You MAY have to take a taxi to your hotel in addition. And you MUST make reservations in advance. You can't just walk out of the airport to the train (been there, done that).

The bus/limo bus (any road transport) takes AT LEAST 75 minutes (and that was at 9:30PM when I arrived NRT). During rush hour and with a small accident, it can easily take a couple of hours. I have taken the limo bus twice and won't take it again. The train is much more efficient.

Unless you are touring in Japan and NOT just transiting NRT, going into Tokyo for a hotel is a waste of time and money on a NRT transit.

Here is a website that gives approximate times from NRT to different hotels in Tokyo via bus and train.

http://www.tradina.com/airport/

Keith, two comments.

First. Several of the hotels have direct, complimentary bus service from Narita, including (as of 2 years ago), both the Hilton and the Holiday Inn. Both are quite adequate hotels but make reservations early. Last time I was there, I used the Holdiay Inn, made reservations over the internet, had a room as large as most other motels, and the cost was relatively inexpensive. The Holiday Inn also has complimentary bus service into the town of Narita itself (get off at the train station) so you can wander around or go up and down Ometesando (sp?) St. Not very touristy and that is one of its charms. Decent restaurants along the street (several do have people who speak some English) and not tourist priced either. At the end of the street is an interesting shrine/pagoda area, well worth the time although it is probably only 40 years old or so. Food at the Holiday Inn was expensive, even by hotel standards and there were no free-standing restaurants in the nearby area.

Second. The limousine/bus is actually a bus. It leaves from almost literally from the front door of Narita at least once an hour and will leave you at the door of your hotel. Without question the easiest way into or out of central Tokyo and costs somewhere around $30 as of 2 years ago. Taxis, while reliable, are more than $100 into central Tokyo and most drivers do not speak any English. The train is down several flights of stairs within international terminal itself, there is no porterage assistance, and usually is crowded, not something to be tried after a long flight.

Enjoy Tokyo.

Another good option is Narita City, located just 10 minutes away (by local train) from Narita Airport. It is a quaint little town, with a few hotels, a few department stores, a surprising number of auto dealerships, and an exquisite temple. Prices are far lower than at Narita Airport or in Tokyo. Trains between Narita Town and Narita Airport cost about $2 or $3 one-way.

Archived