How you order a bar setup with NCL before?

cmarrero1014

I had a bar set up on the Dawn last week. I had a litre of gin. I used the mini bar Tonic and was charged $1.75 +.26 cents for service charge. So each can was $2.01. I got the same price from room service. I ordered a can of Tonic in a bar and was charged a total of $6.04. If you can't or don't bring your own mix then I highly recommend you use the mini bar or room service for your before dinner cocktail mix. Then go out and enjoy the lovely bars scatterred around and pay what you would in any other fine establishment. I paid as much or less for drinks in the lounges than I pay for the same thing in Seattle.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. :)

Winnie <-----> wishing she was back on board drinking a $12.00 foo foo drink.

Sorry, but the intent of the bar setup was for in-room consumption. If people continue to brings these drinks into the public areas NCL will discontinue this little benefit.

Where in the world did you get the idea that the booze had to be consumed in your cabin? Nowhere has NCL said this. NCL will never discontinue this benefit when there's a profit to be made. They are charging $40-$55 for a bottle of booze a very nice profit.

Remember when we could freely bring booze aboard until people started very brazenly consuming this booze in public areas? Remember NCL does read these boards. Allowing booze to be brought onto the ship was not stopped because of people consuming it in public, but to sell more on the ship. They saw how much money that they could make if they didn't allow it to be brought on the ship. Hey, any good business owner would do they same. When they did that we had the smuggling threads, Scope flavored vodka.

That reminds me, I have to contact the ship's coordinator for the Gem and place our booze order for our Jan 26th cruise. Hope it still can be done and they didn't take this perk away yet!

Happy Cruising

I have to disagree on your assumption. I read, from a 1989 NCL brochure, in the "what can I bring aboard", that alcohol was allowed onboard for in room consumption and was not to be consumed in public areas of the ship. (Sorry I don't have a scanner to present the actual evidence).

People were blatantly consuming their booze in public areas and NCL changed their policy. And yes, they did this because of revenue issues.

People then started to have booze delivered to their cabins in gift baskets from companies such as Wellwishers. NCL was fine with this because it was going to be small quantities and assumed people were doing this for in-room consumptions. Oops, bad asssumption. Word got around in places like CC that you now could get booze onboard and not have to smuggle. Guess what, this priviledge was abused and NCL halted it. I actually heard about someone having 10 cases of beer delivered through Wellwishers, doesn't sound like inroom consumption to me.

Now comes along the "bar setup". This was created as a courtesy to NCL passengers because of the outcry of not being able to have a cocktail in their cabin while preparing for dinner/evening. There is no documentation for this "perk" anywhere. And don't tell me you have seen "menus" for the selections. If you look closely at that menu you will see a very informal piece off paper that "he who should not be named" posted a picture of. The original intent of this "perk" was to supply people with the wherewithal to enjoy a drink in their cabin while preparing for the evening or for a nightcap at the end of the evening. There was also an unofficial limit of 3 bottles per setup. Now people have asked me to prove my assertions that there are these limits to this perk.....I can't, because this whole thing was unofficial and a courtesy. May I ask the inverse question...where can you all find any proof that this was not setup for inroom consumption only and that there is not limit on the number of bottles that can be purchased.

I know someone is going to say they are making money on this proposition. Yes, they are, but not as much as they would if they eliminated it and just sold you bottles of booze from the catering menu. People have mentioned a number like $60.00 for a bottle of Smirnoff which is $40.00 on the bar setup "menu". They are "losing" $20.00 on this deal????

All I tried to convey in this thread is that things like "I'll have my Bloody Mary by the pool and no one will know what is in my glass" should not be discussed here. We all know that NCL read these boards. But, then again people will do what ever they want because it is their cruise.

PE

I know someone is going to say they are making money on this proposition. Yes' date=' they are, but not as much as they would if they eliminated it and just sold you bottles of booze from the catering menu. People have mentioned a number like $60.00 for a bottle of Smirnoff which is $40.00 on the bar setup "menu". They are "losing" $20.00 on this deal????[/color']

In your example, they are only "losing" $20 if that same person would have bought the bottle for $60 had it not been offered for $40. But at the same time, they are earning $20 (since we all know $40 is still double the retail cost, so imagine the wholesale markup) on each bottle sold to a person that otherwise would not have bought a bottle for $60 or instead would smuggle one on board.

What may have been behind the policy in 1989 may not translate to their business model some 19 years later.

With that said, are you going to tell us NCL is not aware people with a setup will buy less from the bars or consume the in-room booze outside of the room? Of course they are. The reason why the setup availability is not publicized is likely a combination of supply and demand and to keep more people at the bars. In the meantime, the bar setup option (as I mentioned earlier) captures a different market (e.g. those who would smuggle onboard or balk at the other alcohol options offered).

I was on the Spirit Dec 16-23 and we ordered a bar set up. I ordered it by calling the main NCL # and asking for it. They took my order over the phone. I charged it on a credit card and it was in my stateroom when we arrived. I brought my own mixers and was sent to the naughty room to pick them up. That was kind of a hassle but I was allowed them when I showed them there was no alcohol in my suitcase. I had packed them separately because I had heard they would be confiscated and I did not want my clothing to be missing at all. They will not open your luggage themselves you have to open it and show them what is in it. They just x-ray it, so a bottle of sparkling water looks like a bottle of vodka and vice-verse. I do not know if this would work, but have considered it for my next cruise...I will label the suitcase "this suitcase contains only non-alcoholic mixers. Please feel free to check it" Maybe save a trip to the 5th floor stairwell. Maybe not.

In your example, they are only "losing" $20 if that same person would have bought the bottle for $60 had it not been offered for $40. But at the same time, they are earning $20 (since we all know $40 is still double the retail cost, so imagine the wholesale markup) on each bottle sold to a person that otherwise would not have bought a bottle for $60 or instead would smuggle one on board.

What may have been behind the policy in 1989 may not translate to their business model some 19 years later.

With that said, are you going to tell us NCL is not aware people with a setup will buy less from the bars or consume the in-room booze outside of the room? Of course they are. The reason why the setup availability is not publicized is likely a combination of supply and demand and to keep more people at the bars. In the meantime, the bar setup option (as I mentioned earlier) captures a different market (e.g. those who would smuggle onboard or balk at the other alcohol options offered).

This is my last "input" into this dead horse issue.

Rationalizing your take on the $20.00 profit/loss scenario...they would make even more if they only sold booze by the drink. $4.50/drink is well beyond $60/bottle and then if they short shotted drinks they could make even more. And if they stepped up their policing of booze smuggling I assure they could catch EVERYTHING that people tried to smuggle. Let's not forget that NCL is the King of nickel and diming.:rolleyes:

How far do you really want to get into the discussion of business models?? I remember what I paid for a cruise in the mid to late 80's and it was significantly more than the cruise fares of today. I was merely presenting a pseudo timeline of the booze issue as it pertains to NCL. If you really want to discuss all aspects of what goes into pricing cruises we will be here for a very long time.

NCL is very aware that people who purchase a bar setup will more than likely consume that much less booze at the bars. Of course they know that people will consume portions of that booze outside of their cabins. But, I promise you that when it becomes blatant they will kill it. When people try to buy more and more bottles over the "unofficial" limit, they will watch this very closely. Also, NCL's only goal was to keep people in the bars you think they might implement a different smoking policy. This policy has driven a large number of people out of the bars and quite a few away from the cruise line altogether. But, Smoking is another "dead horse" issue altogether.

PE<---will wait for the next "dead horse" issue to raise its' head again...

Rationalizing your take on the $20.00 profit/loss scenario...they would make even more if they only sold booze by the drink. $4.50/drink is well beyond $60/bottle and then if they short shotted drinks they could make even more. And if they stepped up their policing of booze smuggling I assure they could catch EVERYTHING that people tried to smuggle. Let's not forget that NCL is the King of nickel and diming.:rolleyes:

You are again assuming that the person who would buy a bottle will buy at the bar in lieu of having a bottle. There are many here totally against the pricing of individual drinks in that they are too high (I think they are fair).

Unless people start roaming the boat with bottles of booze in their hands, who is going to know whether I am drinking my in room stuff outside the room? I fail to see what the harm is. Either way, they have made the money they banked on as far as that one passenger goes.

Firstly, I never assume anything when it comes to CC and NCL. I have been here for a VERY long time.;)

As I said, one can rationalize anything to fit their own personal "business model". People are going to do whatever they want as long as they "think" they are doing nothing wrong. Too many people think about what is legal as compared to what is right.

And I also said that NCL will monitor these things and react appropriately to maintain their own "business model".

PE

I was on the Spirit Dec 16-23 and we ordered a bar set up. I ordered it by calling the main NCL # and asking for it. They took my order over the phone. I charged it on a credit card and it was in my stateroom when we arrived. I brought my own mixers and was sent to the naughty room to pick them up. That was kind of a hassle but I was allowed them when I showed them there was no alcohol in my suitcase. I had packed them separately because I had heard they would be confiscated and I did not want my clothing to be missing at all. They will not open your luggage themselves you have to open it and show them what is in it. They just x-ray it, so a bottle of sparkling water looks like a bottle of vodka and vice-verse. I do not know if this would work, but have considered it for my next cruise...I will label the suitcase "this suitcase contains only non-alcoholic mixers. Please feel free to check it" Maybe save a trip to the 5th floor stairwell. Maybe not.

Do they actually make you go through your whole suitcase in front of them? Do they make you open all your stuff, including your personal items? Or do they just make you open the "suspicious" item? Do the xray people send a printout of the screen and what they see? Or how do they know what they are looking for?

Sorry for all these dumb questions!! But I want to know what to expect.:o

Do they actually make you go through your whole suitcase in front of them? Do they make you open all your stuff, including your personal items? Or do they just make you open the "suspicious" item? Do the xray people send a printout of the screen and what they see? Or how do they know what they are looking for?

Sorry for all these dumb questions!! But I want to know what to expect.:o

No, they know exactly the number of bottles you have in there and will not need to go through you bag. Unless of course you lie to them and try to make an issue out it.

PE

No' date=' they know exactly the number of bottles you have in there and will not need to go through you bag. Unless of course you lie to them and try to make an issue out it.

PE[/quote']

so little toiletry type bottles won't get my bags sent to the naughty room? I'm just really not looking forward to having strangers look at my "stuff". :o

so little toiletry type bottles won't get my bags sent to the naughty room? I'm just really not looking forward to having strangers look at my "stuff". :o

I am pretty sure the best way to avoid having strangers looking at your stuff is to not attempt to bring something on-board that you are not supposed to. But having strangers look at your stuff is all a part of travel these days. If you are flying to your port, TSA is looking at your stuff, at least to some degree.

I am pretty sure the best way to avoid having strangers looking at your stuff is to not attempt to bring something on-board that you are not supposed to. But having strangers look at your stuff is all a part of travel these days. If you are flying to your port, TSA is looking at your stuff, at least to some degree.

That's true, except that I'm not standing there being embarassed by it. Except the time I was "chosen" to have my carry-on bag hand searched by security at the airport. I happened to have the bottom part of my electric toothbrush in my bag, and when the lady held it up and asked "what's this?" I don't know if she believed me when I told her it was a toothbrush.

It really was a toothbrush, really!! It was!!! :o

I'm with PE on this one. At least you can purchase a bar set up on NCL and some other lines but not the line I've cruised with - RCI. I got it straight from the horse's mouth, the officer who was the Beverage Mgr. on my cruise in May...a few high profile incidents but more importantly, lack of revenue generation by pax drinking smuggled booze or booze acquired for the cabin (under RCI's now defunct policy of buying a couple of bottles for the cabin - pay a fee, on embarkation day) all over the ship. The management and bar staff on cruise ships aren't stupid, they know people are drinking alcohol bought for the cabin all over the ship.

For NCL fans, you have a nice perk being able to purchase bar set-ups for your cabins...don't screw it up :).

I am just wondering for those posters who do not feel the intent of the bar setup is necessarily for in room use: Would you be comfortable carrying say a bottle of rum with you and ordering a coke at one of the bars on board? Make your own?
That would be akin to bringing your own food or beverage into a restaurant, so no, that I would not do; and therefore, I would not bring my in-room drink to a bar or restaurant (or my entire bottle and ask for a mixer). However, I would take a drink out of my room to have out on a deck, while walking around the ship, or in one of the common areas where there is no food or beverage service.

Megalin77 and others trying to order a bar set-up,

- Just a follow up. I still have not heard a response from the 1st email, the voice mail or the second email I sent/called to the Sun Ship Coordinator. We sail on 1/12/08 and I will have DH try to call NCL again tomorrow when he gets home from work. I'm afraid we are getting so close, that the response will be we are too late.

Please post if you were able to get a response on ordering your bar set-up.

I hope others are having better luck than we are!

And for the other threads posted - we have ordered a set-up on other cruise lines and NEVER taken any drinks out of our cabin.

Gym2

I'll ask again.....could someone please tell me how I go about ordering a bar setup, finding out what is available, prices, etc. I promise I will only drink it in my room!

I emailed shop coordinator one time for my request.... her reply asked for my credit card.....since I'm not comfortable giving this info via e-mail I called...left a message to call me so I could give credit card info....no reply........ called several more times....no reply Finally when I was 14 days out I called and left a message in which I said :

"I want to order a bar set-up and no one has returned my calls even though I left several messages. I did receive an e-mail reply asking for my credit card number but I am not comfortable in giving this information out via e-mail. Please call me as soon as possible as my ship sails in 14 days and I want to order a bar set up and I understand there is a 14 day cut off period. I'm disappointed no one has returned any of my 5 calls."

I then left my name and reservation number.

Imagine my surprise when I was called on Thanksgiving day!!!!!!!

I gave my credit card number and my order was in my room when I arrived. here's the information I was given:

Yulexi Perez

Group Event Coordinator/ Norwegian Dawn

shipcoordinatordawn@ncl.com

1800-327-9020 Ext 7820/fax 305-436-4147

Hope this helps.

Winnie <-----> needed that gin and tonic after traveling from Seattle to Miami! :eek:

Please post if you were able to get a response on ordering your bar set-up.Gym2

I had several back and forth e-mails with the Jewel Ship Coordinator on friday morning and then I never heard back from her until today. (they must have had a four day weekend:) ) But everything is confirmed and charged on the CC.

Good luck.

Barb-Ottowa, call your cruise coordinator and request what you want in your cabin before you go; two weeks minimum, prior to cruise. They will set it up in your cabin. You will need to bring mixers; ordering them on board can be expensive unless you get juices in the morning. I still buy drinks on board, partake of the mini-bar, but I like to have a bloody-mary at noon, or a vodka & tonic in the afternoon, on my balcony. If you like wine as well, I would recommend the $79.00 romance package. We loved it!

Hi all,

DH called NCL today and spoke with someone who said we had to email the Sun Ship Coordinator. After explaining that we had already done that twice and left a voice mail, he checked with the Sun coordinator and she was answering our email as they spoke.

Sure enough we received an email with a bar list. Bottle of Absolut Vodka is $40 and Tonic $2.02 per can. A $3.00 service charge is added for the bar set-up (not per bottle or can).

The Sun Ship Coordinator information that handled our order is:

Holly Molter | Group Event Coordinator, Norwegian Sun

shipcoordinatorsun@ncl.com

1-800-327-9020 | EXT 7660 | fax 305-436-4147

DH called her back and placed our order and credit card information over the phone. She was very helpful and also said all orders for the sailing of Jan 12th had to be in by this Wednesday.

Hope you find this helpful!

Thanks to all for the information.

Gym2

Archived