How you order a bar setup with NCL before?

cmarrero1014

My husband and I will be traveling on the Spirit on 2/10/2007 for our 1 year wedding anniversary. I wanted to have a few cocktails in the room, so I contacted NCL over the phone. They told me they did not offer the bar packages anymore but I could contact the Spirit's cruise coordinatior and see if they had any options. I emailed him/her and the responses take awhile to come back. They told me a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka $40.00, Crow Royal $55.00, Beefeaters $40.00 there will be a service charge of $3.00 added to the order. Does anyone know what the size of the bottles are? Any why don't they offer any mixers....soda, tonic....for a "bar set-up" since they charge me an extra $3 to "set it up"

Above it all, I am really looking forward to our trip!!!

Thanks in advance for your responses

They are 1 liter bottles. You can have mixers, but you will be paying for them. It is best if you bring them on yourself to save some money. If you like Orange juice, order it on the breakfast room service menu and have them bring in extra "large" glasses of OJ. We do this every cruise. Same goes with any juice. As they are only served in the mornings.:)

Any why don't they offer any mixers....soda, tonic....for a "bar set-up" since they charge me an extra $3 to "set it up"

Simply because mixers are available from room service or at any of the bars to carry back to your cabin. But it is cheaper to carry a few on when you board and restock at each port.

PE

We always get the bar setup. If you like to have a cocktail it will save you money in a long run. We'll still have a drink or two at the bar but it's nice to have a Bloody Mary pic-me-up with breakfast while your on vacation! We also ask for large plastic glasses so we can take them on deck and not have to worry. We also bring the "Magic Bullet" for fancy drinks! LOL :D We'll use fruit and yogurt and make smoothie's. Add a little rum and I'm good to go!

We always get the bar setup. If you like to have a cocktail it will save you money in a long run. We'll still have a drink or two at the bar but it's nice to have a Bloody Mary pic-me-up with breakfast while your on vacation! We also ask for large plastic glasses so we can take them on deck and not have to worry. We also bring the "Magic Bullet" for fancy drinks! LOL :D We'll use fruit and yogurt and make smoothie's. Add a little rum and I'm good to go!

Sorry, but the intent of the bar setup was for in-room consumption. If people continue to brings these drinks into the public areas NCL will discontinue this little benefit.

Remember when we could freely bring booze aboard until people started very brazenly consuming this booze in public areas? Remember NCL does read these boards.

PE

Sorry' date=' but the intent of the bar setup was for in-room consumption. If people continue to brings these drinks into the public areas NCL will discontinue this little benefit.

Remember when we could freely bring booze aboard until people started very brazenly consuming this booze in public areas? Remember NCL does read these boards.

PE[/quote']There is no way anyone would know what is in our glass. Passengers walk around the ship all the time with drinks. You can go to the bar, order a drink and take it with you. Bringing it from home and paying good money to get a bar set-up are two different things.

Remember NCL does read these boards.

PE

There is no way anyone would know what is in our glass. Passengers walk around the ship all the time with drinks. You can go to the bar' date=' order a drink and take it with you. Bringing it from home and paying good money to get a bar set-up are two different things.[/quote']

If you will notice the last line of my post, my point was that things like this need not be discussed here. But, I still think it is rude to consume bar setup booze in public since the intent is that it is being supplied for in-room consumption as a "favor" by the ship coordinators. It is not a corporate policy as many have found out when they tried to order. JMHO!!

But, then again it is the few that usually ruin things for the many.

PE

I saw your posting picture first of all; look like a letch to me!:o

Bar set-ups work well; you can get juice in the morning, bring your own mixers onto the ship, buy the mixers. It just depends on how much effort you want to do to enjoy your drinks on your balcony.

If you will notice the last line of my post' date=' my point was that things like this need not be discussed here. But, I still think it is rude to consume bar setup booze in public since the intent is that it is being supplied for in-room consumption as a "favor" by the ship coordinators. It is not a corporate policy as many have found out when they tried to order. JMHO!!

But, then again it is the few that usually ruin things for the many.

PE[/quote']WOW! Why be so nasty? JMHO It's this kind of talk that has ruined this board for us.

Sorry' date=' but the intent of the bar setup was for in-room consumption. If people continue to brings these drinks into the public areas NCL will discontinue this little benefit.

PE[/quote']

I have a bar setup ordered and plan to use it for my balcony, but I'm curious as to where this explanation of the bar setup for in-room consumption only is written. I didn't see anything about it anywhere.

I have a bar setup ordered and plan to use it for my balcony, but I'm curious as to where this explanation of the bar setup for in-room consumption only is written. I didn't see anything about it anywhere.

Is there anything about the bar set up on the NCL site or literature?

Does anyone know if the OS on the Pride of Aloha gets bottles of alcohol? I'm pretty sure you can't get bar set up.

Does anyone know if the OS on the Pride of Aloha gets bottles of alcohol? I'm pretty sure you can't get bar set up.

My bar setup list does say that it is not available for NCLA, only NCL.

Hi all,

I have a question regarding ordering the bar setup. I emailed our ships coordinator and we are sailing on the Sun 1/12/08. I have yet to receive a reply. Would I be better calling NCL directly and if so what number? The number for bon voyage gifts? It certainly isn't clearly listed on the website as it is on Celebrity or other lines.

DH and I would like to enjoy a cocktail on our balcony before going to dinner, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and a Happy Cruisin New Year to all!

gym2

Yes, the OS on all NCLA ships get complimentary bottles of wine or alcohol. The Hawaiian law prevents NCL from selling them to you, but they can give you some complimentary.

A perk is just that, a perk.

Yes, the OS on all NCLA ships get complimentary bottles of wine or alcohol. The Hawaiian law prevents NCL from selling them to you, but they can give you some complimentary.

A perk is just that, a perk.

Thanks, I'm pretty excited. I'm not much of a drinker, but can picture myself with a rum and coke in my hand in the hot tub.:D

PE[/quote']Rest assured NCL is making plenty off the bar setup charges. If they were not, it would be discontinued, no? The markup on the bottles of booze is at least 50-75% over retail (e.g. Crown Royal 750ml costs about $25 retail; NCL charges $55 for 1L). Sure, maybe they make more on the bar drinks overall, but the in-room setups potentially allow them to capture a market of people that would otherwise smuggle booze onboard or purchase little or none from the bars.

The decision to allow in room bar setups come down to money, just like anything else. If this was a financial black hole there would be no bar setup menu out there.

My husband and I will be traveling on the Spirit on 2/10/2007 for our 1 year wedding anniversary. I wanted to have a few cocktails in the room, so I contacted NCL over the phone. They told me they did not offer the bar packages anymore but I could contact the Spirit's cruise coordinatior and see if they had any options. I emailed him/her and the responses take awhile to come back. They told me a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka $40.00, Crow Royal $55.00, Beefeaters $40.00 there will be a service charge of $3.00 added to the order. Does anyone know what the size of the bottles are? Any why don't they offer any mixers....soda, tonic....for a "bar set-up" since they charge me an extra $3 to "set it up"

good question about the mixers, I too, have wondered about this. The $3 is a service charge. As for mixers, just bring them on board. What size bottles? 1 liter, which is enough for a few drinks each night before dinner and will save you several $$s in the long run.

I don't know why some agents are saying the bar set up isn't available anymore, you are not the first to be told this.

Nita

Sorry, but the intent of the bar setup was for in-room consumption. If people continue to brings these drinks into the public areas NCL will discontinue this little benefit.

Where in the world did you get the idea that the booze had to be consumed in your cabin? Nowhere has NCL said this. NCL will never discontinue this benefit when there's a profit to be made. They are charging $40-$55 for a bottle of booze a very nice profit.

Remember when we could freely bring booze aboard until people started very brazenly consuming this booze in public areas? Remember NCL does read these boards. Allowing booze to be brought onto the ship was not stopped because of people consuming it in public, but to sell more on the ship. They saw how much money that they could make if they didn't allow it to be brought on the ship. Hey, any good business owner would do they same. When they did that we had the smuggling threads, Scope flavored vodka.

That reminds me, I have to contact the ship's coordinator for the Gem and place our booze order for our Jan 26th cruise. Hope it still can be done and they didn't take this perk away yet!

Happy Cruising

Sorry I did not see anything "nasty" in my response. I was just responding to your "I'll do whatever I want" statement' date=' which has ruined a few great perks on NCL over the years. JMHO!!!!

PE[/quote']

It is my understanding that the use of quotation marks are used to show that a person's words are being repeated exactly. I never once indicated “I’ll do whatever I want” as you suggest. I would never advocate publicly flaunting a bottle of liquor around in public either. By your own comments, “things like this need not be discussed here” you have made this more of what is worth!

Just to clarify - please understand that a few years ago NCL stopped letting your get alcohol from Bon Voyage services just because it became known that people were drinking it outside their cabin..... If that is what you do, fine. BUT PLEASE don't post it here. People will do what they do but it is better not to post it for all to see and encourage others to do it. Please understand NCL has stopped services before and I can see this perk going by the wayside too. Debbie

Hi all,

I have a question regarding ordering the bar setup. I emailed our ships coordinator and we are sailing on the Sun 1/12/08. I have yet to receive a reply. Would I be better calling NCL directly and if so what number? The number for bon voyage gifts? It certainly isn't clearly listed on the website as it is on Celebrity or other lines.

DH and I would like to enjoy a cocktail on our balcony before going to dinner, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and a Happy Cruisin New Year to all!

gym2

Gym2, would you be willing to post if you do hear back from the Sun coordinator? I am sailing on the Sun 1/19/08 and am also waiting to hear back! Thanks1

megalin77,

I will post when I hear something back. I also just called NCL and actually was connected to the Sun's ship coordinator......voice mail - and left a message. So we'll see which reply comes first - the email or the voice mail!

gym2

Archived