Arrival in Barcelona?

My husband and I are going to be on Voyager of the Seas in August '08 and we are flying from Barcelona to Athens. The arrival time according to the cruise is 6 AM in Barcelona. What would be the best time to schedule our outbound flight? I have never been there so I don't know how far the airport is from the pier.

To my knowledge, there are only two direct flights to Athens from BCN. Clickair which goes VERY early in the morning and Vuerling which goes VERY late at night. I assume you are connecting somewhere -- or is there a flight I don't know about?

20 minutes to the airport is probably right if you are docking on the weekend. During thework week it is going to be a bit longer. Figure 45 minutes maximum (if the gods are mad at you).

However, since the gods are always mad at me, I would schedule a plane at 11:30 or later. The ship might dock late, customs/immigration might take longer than expected, you bag will (of course) be the last one off the ship and will be put in the wrong place, there will be a traffic accident and pickets at the airport. Seriously, unless there is a very good reason, I would not push it.

Paul

Here's my 2 cents worth...... early afternoon. Here's why.

We just went on Brilliance of the Seas cruise ending in Barcelona. We stayed 1 night post cruise right on Las Ramblas and flew home on a Monday morning with a 10:30 am flight.

Traffic wasnt totally awful..... but definately morning commute stuff. We had to go right by the port entrance on our way from hotel to airport. It was more than 20 minutes - for sure.

But the real fun starts when you get to the airport. In my opinion it was worse than San Juan Puerto Rico...... and that was a zoo ! We arrived around 8:20 for a 10:30 flight. We stood in line to check in FOREVER..... Continental Airlines. And we had already checked in and had boarding passes at the hotel the night before. But had to check bags and they reissued different boarding passes when I showed them the ones I had printed off the computer. Then thru security....then a long long long walk to the gate.

I would allow yourself plenty of time to get there and get checked in etc... why ruin the end of your vacation rushing around like crazy ? Or worse missing a flight etc.

Be aware if you choose one of the smaller European airlines that although they say 'Barcelona' they might not mean it! Some use Reus, which is about 50 miles SW and some use Girona which is about 70 miles NE, but they advertise them as 'Barcelona'.

Simon

Texancruzer,

On your one night post cruise in Barcelona, which hotel did you stay at and did you book it thru the cruiseline? We will be on BOS on May 19th and be in Barcelona on May 29th at the end of our cruise. Thanks for your help.

LennyPoo

To my knowledge, there are only two direct flights to Athens from BCN. Clickair which goes VERY early in the morning and Vuerling which goes VERY late at night. I assume you are connecting somewhere -- or is there a flight I don't know about?
It looks like Iberia does this three times a week. But the BCN-ATH flight is very early morning, too - so not much good for coming straight off a cruise ship.

It looks like Iberia does this three times a week. But the BCN-ATH flight is very early morning, too - so not much good for coming straight off a cruise ship.

Thanks. I must admit I overlook Iberia whenever possible. <grin> But, I certainly did not mean to give out bad information..so, again, thanks for picking up the error.

Paul

Texancruzer,

On your one night post cruise in Barcelona, which hotel did you stay at and did you book it thru the cruiseline? We will be on BOS on May 19th and be in Barcelona on May 29th at the end of our cruise. Thanks for your help.

LennyPoo

We stayed at Le Meridien right on Las Ramblas. Was really nice hotel with the best bed :p Part of the Starwood chain....so if you have points or American Express points you can use those ..... I booked on my own. I do not book air or hotel with cruiselines anymore. I can get much better deals on my own.

We enjoyed a full day of Sagrada Familia then Las Ramblas......went back to room and rested for @ 1 hr....then out again on Las Ramblas at night (all lit up) for dinner ( was dh's birthday !) and evening stroll.

Archived